Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Played Pickleball today. Yeah we are down to 87 degrees now.
I've played tennis and pickleball all summer in the brutal Bradenton, FL humidity. I had to purchase an electric shoe dryer because my shoes are soaking wet after a couple hours on the court and develop an interesting stink. I lose about 3 lbs of body weight and it takes all day to replenish the fluids. But I do love to compete and will keep on trucking til my body gives out.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Too cool!
I was in a marathon once when there was an accident and they detoured us a few blocks off the route for a bit. Found out after the race that we did 26.43 miles, so I'm an ultramarathoner!!!
Yep!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
31 miles. Anything longer than a marathon (which is 26.2 miles) is called an ultramarathon. They are usually on trails, sometimes on mountain single track trails, rocky and with long and steep ascents and descents. This one, however, was on a nearly dead flat rail trail.

Was visiting Steamboat Springs CO a few weeks ago and watched (from the patio of a pub next to the finish line) runners finishing up on a 100 mile race. The winner was done long before we got there, I believe he did it in about 19 hours, most runners seemed to be finishing around the 24 hour mark. Must take a very unique individual to want to compete at those distances.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Was visiting Steamboat Springs CO a few weeks ago and watched (from the patio of a pub next to the finish line) runners finishing up on a 100 mile race. The winner was done long before we got there, I believe he did it in about 19 hours, most runners seemed to be finishing around the 24 hour mark. Must take a very unique individual to want to compete at those distances.
Run Rabbit Run. There actually were quite a few over 24 hours. The format for this race is that there are Hares, who are the more elite runners, and Tortoises, who get an earlier start and longer time to finish. So the hares get to sleep in, and then try to catch the tortoises.

I've run 2 100 milers, but both on much easier terrain and less elevation change. A lot of the challenge to me is to see what my limits are, and what happens, whether I can bounce back, if/when things go very bad. I feel pretty good about my resilience. There is also some peer pressure, as I have a lot of friends who have done them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

not any more !

but am researching some new options for the future

do you think they will let me lose when ( the equivilent of ) heavily intoxicated

( it might look dangerous but so is walking .. now )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I've played tennis and pickleball all summer in the brutal Bradenton, FL humidity. I had to purchase an electric shoe dryer because my shoes are soaking wet after a couple hours on the court and develop an interesting stink. I lose about 3 lbs of body weight and it takes all day to replenish the fluids. But I do love to compete and will keep on trucking til my body gives out.
Amen.
We will play no matter the heat index.
Electric shoe dryer - interesting to know.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I never considered myself an athlete but I was competent at a few sports and at one time was in very good shape.

In my late 40's with no specific training other than basic lifting at a body weight of 165 pounds I was able to bench press 260, squat 370, and deadlift 380. I have max attempts of 29 consecutive chin-ups and 178 consecutive pushups. Another time I did 300 chin-ups over a 1 hour time period.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't consider myself an athlete but I do consider myself active and
DW and I try to keep moving as much as possible. I run 3 miles 4 to 5 days per week and at least one of those days I push myself for time and get around 26 minutes. My wife and I do all the house upkeep ourselves including the manual labor it takes to do so. We recently had to take down a rotten retaining wall (45 ft) and put a "railroad tie" retailing wall in its place. We do go to the gym but mostly in the winter when its just too dang cold to be outside.