Join Early Retirement Today

Are you stooped?
Old 06-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you stooped?

No, not stupid, stooped.

I've become aware that I've developed a decidedly head forward posture over the years, probably from spending too much time here. I've found a number of YouTube videos with various exercises to strengthen the muscles that pull the head more upright, but have had limited success so far. Any success stories?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

https://www.verywellhealth.com/marak...review-4797593

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There is kyphosis (stooped posture) from bad posture habits, and also from osteoporosis ("Dowager's hump"). You can probably fix the first but not the second.

Simple Girl can tell us more, I believe.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have developed arthritis in my neck, initially discovered in my 40's during X-rays prior to shoulder surgery! I try to focus on good posture, especially when on the phone/internet or desktop computer.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not that I know of but I avoid looking at myself too closely.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
Not that I know of but I avoid looking at myself too closely.
Me, too. It is those damned ubiquitous cell phone cameras.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Right as I get up from sitting, my first few steps are stooped. I can change it if I concentrate. Sometimes, I do not realize I am stooped until my DW reminds me.

I do various muscle strengthening exercise at least 4 times per week (core, legs, chest, back, etc). The one specifically for my posture is standing with my backside against a wall for about 60 seconds. From my heels to my head, I try to make as much of my body touch the wall. It seems since I started the exercise, it helps me straighten up but I often still start stooped.

I have also been doing more for my shoulders than I use to. I started that since I have a weak/sore shoulder. I think it helps my posture however.

I tell you all this because I am not sure what really works. I do think the standing with my backside against a wall is worth the time.

Hope this helps.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #8

Definitely. I have started standing with monitor at full eye level will using the computer to combat it. As well as being conscious of throwing shoulders back, chin level when possible.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Timely thread. Yeah, my posture isn't exactly stellar. I notice it when I walk into the bathroom. I'm starting to get the old-lady posture. My DH tells me that old people doesn't stretch their necks when they turn their heads to look right or left. Instead that their whole upper bodies turn to the right or left and their heads happen to follow the shoulders. My neck is kind of stiff, but I don't think it's too bad yet (age 60), but I will get there sooner or later. I would like to delay the inevitable as long as I can though...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Thank you for the idea. I think I'll pick up something like that on amazon.

Do you own one of those?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you for the idea. I think I'll pick up something like that on amazon.

Do you own one of those?
DW has one that she uses when going for walks in 'cooler' weather; cooler because she likes to wear a light t-shirt under it and something above it.

She's not stooped, but after working as a software developer, hunched over a 'puter, has a tendency to fall into a slouch. This item basically acts as a reminder to stand up straight, somewhat similar to the finishing schools in the days of yore where girls balanced books on their heads.

(I hardly notice guys, but on the rare occasion I/we see a young girl/woman walking with 'perfect posture' it's very refreshing and quite the motivator.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No, not stupid, stooped.

I've become aware that I've developed a decidedly head forward posture over the years, probably from spending too much time here. I've found a number of YouTube videos with various exercises to strengthen the muscles that pull the head more upright, but have had limited success so far. Any success stories?
Yoga is great for posture. Standing straight with head up, shoulders back, hips and legs properly aligned is a key pose plus you improve your flexibility that allows proper posture. I noticed when I started doing yoga even when quite a bit younger that I was standing up much straighter.

When I see older people out walking bent forward I assume that they’ve lost some flexibility in their hips and/or lower back which seems a common area to lose it first as we age. Abdominal fitness is also important. Yoga helps maintain that too.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When walking, I am always conscious of posture. Exercise in general can't hurt.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, DW keeps after me to throw my shoulders back and down when walking. I have mild arthritis which is probably involved. Stooped posture creeps up on you, so you have to be conscious of the need to maintain erect posture. My neck is also quite stiff which makes it difficult to look back when driving or riding a bike. I'm approaching 72.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh Lordy history repeats. I remember my my mother shrieking at my father to stand up straight ... now DW doesn’t shriek thank god but she does reach out and pull me into an upright position on occasion. Sigh.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yoga is great for posture. Standing straight with head up, shoulders back, hips and legs properly aligned is a key pose plus you improve your flexibility that allows proper posture. I noticed when I started doing yoga even when quite a bit younger that I was standing up much straighter.

When I see older people out walking bent forward I assume that they’ve lost some flexibility in their hips and/or lower back which seems a common area to lose it first as we age. Abdominal fitness is also important. Yoga helps maintain that too.

+1. My doctor actually gave me a referral to a PT for back problems, which I never used, because starting yoga gave me plenty of stability and core strength. It's also really good for balance, which can help prevent falls.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
+1. My doctor actually gave me a referral to a PT for back problems, which I never used, because starting yoga gave me plenty of stability and core strength. It's also really good for balance, which can help prevent falls.
Right - balance! Such a biggie for the aging body.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I still get a newspaper from time to time. The other day while reading the paper I noticed that when I read it I have it wide open and my head is pointing straight ahead or even slightly upwards as I read. Contrast this with reading the digital version where I am always looking down, shoulders forward. The trick, supposedly, is to hold the tablet at eye level.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Are you stooped?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Are you stooped?

No? I don't think it would bother me if I was stooped, but I'm not.

When I was a pre-teen, I was very self-conscious about being tall. I reached my full height (5'9") when I was 11 and that is tough for a shy 11-year-old girl who doesn't want to stand out or be noticed. So I used to slump on purpose.

My mother took care of that... she constantly nagged me to "sit up straight!" or "stand up straight!". She died in 2007 but even so, if I slump I still hear her voice telling me these things and I automatically correct my posture.

See? Most moms think their kids will never remember what they are told, but kids remember. Thanks, Mom.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #20

I'm having cervical epidural steroid injection on Thursday and starting physical therapy on Friday for my degenerative neck spinal stenosis. I'm sure I'm going to learn all about proper posture during my PT. I tend to look down when I walk mainly to keep from tripping. I also look down somewhat when on the computer. Neither can be good for your neck.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote