Join Early Retirement Today

Arthritis in thumbs: symtoms question?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arthritis in thumbs: symtoms question?

If at the base of your thumb the pad there gets hot, swells and turns a little red, this is just a symptom of arthritis, right?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Orchid, the term arthritis is pretty generic and just means inflammation of a joint. So, inflammation from infection, gout, rheumatoid or other specific cause are all considered arthritis.

In laymen's terms, most people mean osteoarthritis when the just say arthritis. That's the wear-and-tear kind that so many of us mature people develop. While it can cause painless bumps (really bone callouses), it does not generally cause redness or swelling.

Going waaayyy out on a limb here, but what you describe could arise from prolonged use of a computer mouse, painting the walls, or other repetitive stress. If it lasts more than a couple or 3 weeks, worth checking out with your internist.

Sorry for a long answer to a simple question.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it was your big toe it would sound like gout. Can you get gout in your thumb?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If it was your big toe it would sound like gout. Can you get gout in your thumb?
Absolutely. And wrist, ankle, knee, elbow, and kidney stones and other exciting venues. Toe is most common ("podagra") but not the only target.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #5

Thank you for the information. And sorry I left the "p" out of symptom in the heading. I type much slower than I think and never proof half the time.
Gout does run in my family, but I eat little red meat now. When I started to get painful shooting pains in my big toe I knew it was gout (and, hey! it hurts, too!), quit eating much red meat and the pains quit totally. My food is not that rich, so I feel I am safe from getting full blown gout like my cousin has--who has to walk with a cane now and is often in severe pain! Who needs that kind of pain...not me.
I suspect from what you say, Rich, that it is from the computer mouse. I do stay on this computer alot, am right handed and the pain is only in the right hand. Makes sense! Thank you again for your information!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Gout does run in my family, but I eat little red meat now. When I started to get painful shooting pains in my big toe I knew it was gout (and, hey! it hurts, too!), quit eating much red meat and the pains quit totally. My food is not that rich, so I feel I am safe from getting full blown gout like my cousin has--who has to walk with a cane now and is often in severe pain! Who needs that kind of pain...not me.
It runs in my family too. I believe the red meat bugaboo is a myth. Tell your cousin that a daily dose of Allopurinol keeps it at bay. No need for pain.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It runs in my family too. I believe the red meat bugaboo is a myth. Tell your cousin that a daily dose of Allopurinol keeps it at bay. No need for pain.
I think strss is a factor also. I had one attack- I had a stressful situation trying to make sales quotas, and I went out at night and had a huge plate of fried chicken livers. I think by the nest day my big toe looked like Rudolf's nose. I quite the job, and slowed way down on chicken livers and it cleared up.

Ha
Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Precipitators of gout in predisposed people include gluttony, non-wine alcohol, low doses of aspirin, weight gain, rapid weight loss, meat and fish.

Gout is often felt to be a sure sign of higher intelligence and wit. To wit: Julius Caesar, Alexander Graham Bell, Ben Franklin among others.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Precipitators of gout in predisposed people include gluttony, non-wine alcohol, low doses of aspirin, weight gain, rapid weight loss, meat and fish.
I've also heard that gout can be a side effect of some BP medications (in particular, diuretics). Is this true?
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I've also heard that gout can be a side effect of some BP medications (in particular, diuretics). Is this true?
Thiazides raise uric acid levels and can precipitate gout in susceptible people. Same with furosemide (lasix). But thiazides are great drugs for BP treatment and in low doses are very well tolerated (and inexpensive).

Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thank you for the information. And sorry I left the "p" out of symptom in the heading. I type much slower than I think and never proof half the time.
I suspect from what you say, Rich, that it is from the computer mouse. I do stay on this computer alot, am right handed and the pain is only in the right hand. Makes sense! Thank you again for your information!
Back when I was w*rking at a computer full time, I found switching the mouse from my right to my left hand every week or two helped spread out the wear and tear on achy joints. It's easier than it sounds.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Back when I was w*rking at a computer full time, I found switching the mouse from my right to my left hand every week or two helped spread out the wear and tear on achy joints. It's easier than it sounds.
Or switch to a laptop with a touchpad (works for me).
Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #13

I've been taking 81 mg. of aspirin for ages. Why? I have no idea, but I started so long ago that I have just kept it up.
Are you saying that low doses of aspirin can kick off gout Yikes!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been taking 81 mg. of aspirin for ages. Why? I have no idea, but I started so long ago that I have just kept it up.
Are you saying that low doses of aspirin can kick off gout Yikes!
I'm saying that low doses of aspirin raise your uric acid level. If you have gout, that may make it worse. If you are one of the 95% of people who don't have gout, i won't "cause it."

Oddly, in high doses like we used to give for bad inflammatory conditions, it actually lowers uric acid levels.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Gout is often felt to be a sure sign of higher intelligence and wit. To wit: Julius Caesar, Alexander Graham Bell, Ben Franklin among others.
I knew I had something going for me.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #16

Now that is interesting...thanks Rich_in_Tampa. Who knew?