Join Early Retirement Today

Arthritis Remedies here!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arthritis Remedies here!

This one was in the local paper one day, cut it out and now doing it. Much to my shock--it works!
I have osteoarthritis at the base of my thumbs which is normal wear and tear for your early 60's.
Also, I was thrown completely off a motor scooter at 21 and flew totally over a car, which must have been quite a sight. Anyway, they told me I would get arthritis somewhere in my body by my 40's as all the bones separated when flying over, blah, blah, blah. Well, damn it! they weren't lying, and I have it in my hip bones.
OK, this works even though it sounds hokey and like voodoo, but works:

Take a GLASS pie pan and place WHITE raisins all over the bottom of it. Pour some cheap gin over the top. Cover, place in refrigerator if you wish or on a table where the cat can't get it for a week to let the raisins soak in the gin. They will plump up.
Now eat 9 raisins a day. It works!
I haven't had a hip joint pain in the 3 weeks I have been doing this, and my thumbs feel much, much better with only the slightest feeling of pain if anything. (I have emphasized GLASS as you are not to use aluminum or any other type, and WHITE as you are not to use brown raisins).

This one I heard of but have not tried, so cannot testify as to if it works or not: Take 1/2 gallon apple CIDER (not juice) and take one cup only of cider out of the 1/2 gallon. Now put a cup of CIDER vinegar back into the 1/2 gallon container and shake it up. Drink 1/2 cup of this concoction a day.

I will testify to the white raisin and gin recipe. I have no idea what the chemistry is that affects you positively. All I know is that it actually works, and, yes! I am more than aware it sounds crazy, but it do work!!!

Does anyone else know of any recipes for arthritis that actually work
Other than taking aspirin or drugs, that is.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The placebo effect is truly amazing. I tried the same thing and got better results throwing out the raisins and drinking the gin...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #3

Well, if it's the placebo effect, I sure as heck wish I had started doing this about 10 years ago. I, frankly, don't give a crap how the pain goes away--short of taking any drugs for it--but that it just goes away.
All I can tell you is that it DID work for me. Again, yes, I am aware it sounds crazy, which is why the clipping from the paper stayed in my recipe files for ages before I tried it.
So, placebo-schmebo, I'm pain free now! Yippee!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #4

On one of the fix your house up and sell it shows on cable the other day, one of the sellers was planting Saint Joseph upside down and saying a prayer...and he sold the house within a few days.
I, too, scoffed at this...but the house sold after being on the market for 6 months. So, who am I to say it doesn't work just cause it sounds looney.
Call me crazy...but my hip joints and thumbs ain't hurt'n, pardner!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #5

REW, that was a great reply, LOL.

Orchid, I tried the St. Joseph thing and I did sell my house but it took a year. Old wives tale in my book. But hey if rasins with liquor makes you feel better who am I to say it doesn't work. For me I don't like raisins and I don't drink alcohol so I'm doomed to live in pain. Getting old sucks.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #6

this is rather counter-intuitive because sugar is an inflamatory which i would think would aggravate arthritis.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #7

THANKS! I'm telling my wife it's for my arthritis. I don't have arthritis, but what the heck... anything for a martini with raisin 'olives'....
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I read the People's Pharmacy column in my local Sunday paper each week. The "Gin Soaked Raisins for Arthritis" treatment makes a regular appearance several times per year in their column.

Here's the link to the main website:
The People's Pharmacy

And here's the link to the Gin Soaked Raisins article:
Article: Gin Soaked Raisins for Arthritis

I am currently testing one of their suggested treatments for toenail fungus. It is looking promising so far, but my toenails grows so slowly that it will be several months before I can finally report success or failure on this.
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's mine:

Take a GLASS shotglass. Fill it with vodka (the clear kind).
Drink that 12 times a day.

I swear this will make you feel SO much better! You'll almost forget you even have joints at all!

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #10

Thanks, Linney, for posting a link to testimonials from other crazies like me that say it works. Laugh, fools, laugh (as Grandma used to say)...but we're not in pain anymore.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I tried the St. Joseph thing and I did sell my house but it took a year.
When you buried St. Joseph, did you remember to say "Bad, bad St. Joseph! Naughty St. Joseph"?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We take two brazil nuts twice a day. They contain selenium, which is supposed to help with joint pain. Seems to help some. DW swears by it for her knee and carpal tunnel leftover pain.

DWs cousin put us on to aloe vera juice, 1/2 cup; drink twice a day. It takes a couple of months, but does seem to decrease arthritis pain. We mix it with light cranberry juice, as it's not too good tasting by itself.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hip pain that I previously attributed to arthritis, completely disappeared about five years ago when I changed my couch potato ways. I started doing lots of gentle stretches before exercising, and got much more flexible. I think it was the stretches that helped, more than the exercise. It seemed like maybe the pain was due to soft tissues being too tight and getting pulled. It was severe enough to interfere with my sleep, and I thought I was stuck with it for life and that it was arthritis -- but now it is completely gone.

So, which stretch helped, you may ask? I'm not sure but I think it was the one where you bend one knee with the other leg straight and behind you, so that it pulls on the front of your thigh and hip. Gee, that's hard to describe.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My chronic arthritis pain went away about 80% within 3 months of retiring. (Something about that huge building with concrete floors.)

It continued to decrease (I have also lost 65# since retiring, taking a lot of weight off my knees).

I have barely any symptoms now.

It seems stress was messing up my body in many ways.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #15

Good point about stretching. Your hamstrings tighten up and shrink when you sit too much and cause enormous pain in your glutes (butt area). The muscles really ache when you stand then as they are going from a sitting position to a stretched out standing one. Stretches are it for that pain.
I work out in a pool about 4 days a week, and have really limbered up tremendously. I cannot swear by this enough as it changed my life, literally.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My chronic arthritis pain went away about 80% within 3 months of retiring. (Something about that huge building with concrete floors.)

It continued to decrease (I have also lost 65# since retiring, taking a lot of weight off my knees).

I have barely any symptoms now.

It seems stress was messing up my body in many ways.
I can relate, Khan. I stood on concrete floors for about the last 15 years at w*rk, and it certainly aggravated my arthritis. I was always stiff and sore, and my knees joints ached continuously. But since retiring a little over 2 months ago, the aches and pains have gone away! I'm out bending and stooping, and crawling around in my gardens just about everyday, and have not had any arthritis pain at all. And NO stress, either!!! I've only lost a few pounds since I pulled the plug, but I'm certainly feeling the best that I have in YEARS!!!

But back to the OP's topic, I've heard that putting a bar of hand soap in a sock and putting in the bed near your legs when you go to bed at night, is supposed to eliminate the aches and pains. Some of my Mom's friends have said that they've tried it, and it worked for them, but I have no first hand knowledge. But what the heck, the price is right, and if it works that's great. And if it doesn't work, you're not out anything!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Try a couple of tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar every day. You can get it at any health food store. It's pretty sour but can be mixed with honey or water or whatever you can stand.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #18

If I remember right, apple cider vinegar is supposed to kick lazy adrenal glands into working better. Regardless, you will urinate alot and, hopefully, rid yourself of toxins in your body.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
So, which stretch helped, you may ask? I'm not sure but I think it was the one where you bend one knee with the other leg straight and behind you, so that it pulls on the front of your thigh and hip. Gee, that's hard to describe.
Just tried that stretch and now I have a headache after falling over

Seriously though, I think that exercise including stretching is a big help.

After several joint problems and surgeries I finally wised up and started on a regular and long term exercise program - not just for a few weeks/months after surgery.

I now do yoga, pilates, weight training etc at my local YMCA and it has helped so much that I have been playing tennis again this past year. I don't know if the bone growths in my shoulders were as a result of arthritis or not but I keep then flexed and strengthened with regular exercise.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Where do you get white raisins? Never heard of them! I may try it. I am laced with raging OA everywhere, and WAYYY too young to have to deal with it.

Can you taste the gin? I hate gin.

I've tried probably 19 million things to feel better. So far hoodoo voodoo 19, queeneev 0. Here's the problem - how do you "really" know something is working? I'd like to say that downing bromelain and cinnamon for the last 4 years has helped me. But....I don't have another me that didn't down the bromelain and cinnamon for the last 4 years to confirm that I would have been worse without them.

I've been a LD runner my entire life. Am I better or worse off for that? DO. NOT. KNOW. Some say the pounding deteriorates the bones. Others say running thickens your bones. So I just keep running.

Honestly, I don't hold out much hope for "remedies". I hate to admit I am leaning toward science on this one, even though I believe in holistic health. I am waiting for them to create something similar to synvisc (which is used in knees, but my knees aren't my problem) but is for hips. It's like motor oil for your body. Sounds very soothing...
queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote