Article: Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart, analysis finds - chicagotribune.com

<snip>
The research showed insufficient support for nutritional recommendations by groups such as the American Heart Association that advocate high consumption of polyunsaturated fats like omega-3, found in fish such as salmon, and omega-6, found in corn and sunflower oils, as well as some nuts and seeds. The study appears in Monday's Annals of Internal Medicine.
</snip>

Should I return the 50 pounds of chia seeds I bought at Costco? jk. I am going to continue to eat mostly whole food and tune out the noise from the "experts".

Should I return the 50 pounds of chia seeds I bought at Costco? jk. I am going to continue to eat mostly whole food and tune out the noise from the "experts".

You must have picked up the same bag I did at Costco! :)

Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart, analysis finds - chicagotribune.com

<snip>
The research showed insufficient support for nutritional recommendations by groups such as the American Heart Association that advocate high consumption of polyunsaturated fats like omega-3, found in fish such as salmon, and omega-6, found in corn and sunflower oils, as well as some nuts and seeds. The study appears in Monday's Annals of Internal Medicine.
</snip>

When was Omega 6 ever considered heart healthy? I thought corn and sunflower (polyunsaturated) oils were to be avoided. I don't understand why they wrapped that into the article - maybe the AHA is still recommending them?

Last edited:
Interesting final paragraph:

Monday's analysis also supports present guidelines restricting consumption of foods high in trans fats. The study didn't find evidence that saturated fats pose a heart risk, Chowdhury said.

My nutritional guru continues to be Julia Child. She lived to 92 despite sugar, gluten, dairy, animal protein, fat, nightshade vegetables and wine, but alas, no chia seeds. Small portions, though.

My nutritional guru continues to be Julia Child. She lived to 92 despite sugar, gluten, dairy, animal protein, fat, nightshade vegetables and wine, but alas, no chia seeds. Small portions, though.
I just watched an old episode. She cooked her ground beef hamburgers rare too!

Get yourself two slices of whole grain bread made with highly processed pulverized flour. It's good because it is whole grain. Spread some high transfat margarine on it. It's good because it's not real butter with all that dairy fat in it. Then put some of the low-fat 'mostly fruit' spread on it. It's good because it is very low in fat.

Do you remember when this was considered good, heart healthy advice??

Latest! Wow! SatFat okay?

Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...and-heart-disease-link/?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

Many of us have long been told that saturated fat, the type found in meat, butter and cheese, causes heart disease. But a large and exhaustive new analysis by a team of international scientists found no evidence that eating saturated fat increased heart attacks and other cardiac events.

The new findings are part of a growing body of research that has challenged the accepted wisdom that saturated fat is inherently bad for you and will continue the debate about what foods are best to eat.

For decades, health officials have urged the public to avoid saturated fat as much as possible, saying it should be replaced with the unsaturated fats in foods like nuts, fish, seeds and vegetable oils.

But the new research, published on Monday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, did not find that people who ate higher levels of saturated fat had more heart disease than those who ate less. Nor did it find less disease in those eating higher amounts of unsaturated fat, including monounsaturated fat like olive oil or polyunsaturated fat like corn oil.

Much more in the article, about the fact that people who go to low fat diets, typically compensate by turning to more refined carbohydrates.

Personal observation: As recent dietary studies evolve to change the accepted recommended "best food" guidelines, I look back to the 1940's, and the foods that we ate at that time... before pizza, before prepared foods, before frozen foods and before fast foods. It's beginning to look like a gravitation toward that norm.

The battle joined! :)

Last edited:
The two threads are the same topic so I merged them.

When was Omega 6 ever considered heart healthy? I thought corn and sunflower (polyunsaturated) oils were to be avoided. I don't understand why they wrapped that into the article - maybe the AHA is still recommending them?

From what I understand, Omega-6 fatty acid is needed by the body but the important thing is the Ratio of fatty acids in different foods. Americans typically get way too much Omega-6 in relation to Omega-3's.

With the linkage between saturated fat and heart disease now in question, I'm going to try to get my spouse to go back to real butter.

From what I understand, Omega-6 fatty acid is needed by the body but the important thing is the Ratio of fatty acids in different foods. Americans typically get way too much Omega-6 in relation to Omega-3's.
. This study couldn't find any problem with high omega-6 seed oils or even the trans fats in chuckanut's margarine. Oh well. Eat less, don't smoke, get some exercise, get a decent amount of sleep, buckle your seat belt and, above all, make sure you picked the right genes.

The human body needs both, but the SAD (standard American diet) contains too much O6 relative to O3. Additionally, the body uses the same chemical pathways to process both O6 and O3, so too much of one limits the absorption of the other.

The human body needs both, but the SAD (standard American diet) contains too much O6 relative to O3. Additionally, the body uses the same chemical pathways to process both O6 and O3, so too much of one limits the absorption of the other.
Exactly - this is a problem.

I thought pushing of polyunsaturated oils like corn and sunflower for health reasons had gone by the wayside a decade ago. Funny how those things persist.

Old dietary guidelines do hang around. I remember getting one AHA? diet list in 2009 from my (then) doctor which recommended eating slices of white bread with most meals. :eek: .

Last edited:
But, but, but as I read the article closely, I spotted the following paragraph.

The Dallas-based heart group's Nutrition Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday and will review the new research. Penny Kris-Etherton, a professor of nutrition at Penn State University and vice chairwoman of the committee, said earlier studies may have shown the fatty acids benefited patients because people with heart disease weren't being treated as aggressively with cholesterol-lowering medicines and high blood pressure drugs as they are currently.

"Maybe now with coronary patients, because of rigorous interventions that they're being given, you don't really see benefits," she said in a telephone interview. "It's these kinds of things that we have to look at very, very carefully when we meet."

Perhaps the fish oil supplement and the fish that we eat do not have much positive effects because we are already knocking down beaucoup drug pills to combat our coronary diseases.

If the above is correct, don't these drugs have side effects, and isn't avoidance of diseases by dieatary measures better than knocking down pills?

Penny Kris-Etherton, a professor of nutrition at Penn State University and vice chairwoman of the committee, said earlier studies may have shown ....

Every time I read weasel words like this (and nearly every single study and report uses them) I hear the sound of the medical industry blowing another load down its profit-seeking pantleg

Here is an interesting interview with Dr. Lustig who is famous for his Sugar: The Bitter Truth video that went viral. A quote:

Dr. Robert Lustig became widely known as “the anti-sugar guy” <snip> (he) says that “anti-processed food guy” would be a more appropriate nickname, since sugar — while his biggest concern — is just one of a number of ills he sees in the modern American diet.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/learning-to-cut-the-sugar/

Every time I read weasel words like this (and nearly every single study and report uses them) I hear the sound of the medical industry blowing another load down its profit-seeking pantleg

This reminds me of a famous school of public health saying the the idea the eating fat causes people to become fat was 'misguided'. How much junky carbs did people eat over the decades following this 'misguided' advice?!?!?! :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom