Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed it to some extent this year - at 73.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I turn 71 in a month and notice enough of a change that I worry that my activities may start getting too limited by the time I am 80. For now I have noticed significant changes but not to the degree described in the OP. I ride my bike for 20-25 miles 3 or 4 days a week and lift weights at the gym twice a week. Both of those activities continue without pain but I have noticed a slow slackening off over the past few years. I used to often ride 30-35 miles, now 20-25. My weights have gone down a few pounds. Squatting or getting down on the floor aches from mild arthritis. As Midpack says, it happens slowly so you don't really feel like anything significant has changed in the last year or two. You (or at least I) adjust to the changes so they are not depressing. Still, I worry about what will come next - eventually we are all going over a cliff.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I (62) feel the aches and pains but it is mostly after working hard at the ranch and other physical work I do. I was the roof the other day cleaning out the gutters and cut trees from a extension ladder, with a 15 foot saw blade on the end of the extended stick. I will be helping a guy pour two 4 foot basements starting today. Yesterday I drove 20 T-posts that I'm fencing off to plant trees in the spring, and it was hot. Lol

The reason I do these things is to keep in shape the best that I can. I'm sore and stiff some but not bad and after these projects are done, I don't have the sore mussels. Lol

I bike and walk. In the spring of the year I spend all day hiking hard country with really no side affects.

I think aging is all what you make it to be. Our body starts dying the day we are born and starts the degeneration of life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be 59 soon and still feel good in general.
The past couple of years it seems that it's easier to injure myself - pulled muscles, sore back, etc from doing strenuous yard work, but then I'm doing more yard work than ever due to some projects I have going on here.
I don't bicycle the long distances I used to, but I think that's more due to shifting interests than lack of ability, and I'm tired of riding these same roads decade after decade.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm almost 65 and still feel pretty good. I don't hit the golf ball as far as I used to and recently started wearing an elbow support band. But other than that.....don't feel much different than 30 years ago.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #26

God, what a depressing thread. Sixty eight years old and feeling my oats but not about to give up the fight yet. Steroid shots and epidurals for back pain during the last two weeks, definitely make you realize, the body ain't what it was just five years ago. Guess it is all down hill from here.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Just curious ... at what age did you feel the physical old ? Like your body is not youthful anymore and you are feeling the brunt of age.
I actually started to "notice" the effect of age the year I retired at 60. Nothing that really bother me that much but it was noticeable. By the time I hit 65 it became impacting enough that I made a decision to get out of my vintage car hobby. (I liked to work on the old cars myself) These days I only have new cars that require minimal maintenance, which I can still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I'm still amazed at some people i see in the news who are pushing their body in their 70s and 80s and even 90s?
Maybe in the news, but I don't know or see any in the crowd I hang around with. I'm sure there are many that can still "push it" in their earlier 70's but there are a lot fewer in their 80's that can "push it". And the only thing most are "pushing" in their 90's are daisies, or their walker if they are lucky.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but it ain't the rule.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Turned 50 this year and have been thinking about this exact topic. After 26 years of running, jumping, falling out of airplanes, going in submarines to test depth, and lifting/throwing heavy things I believe my body has experienced a more accelerated development. I am unable to push as hard as I used to, which is frustrating. But it beats the pinewood box alternative, I suppose.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
God, what a depressing thread. Sixty eight years old and feeling my oats but not about to give up the fight yet.
I'm 66 and on zero prescriptions except one dealing with a symptom of menopause. I've been participating in the same corporate athletic event every year (now as a retiree for my previous employer) so I have the stats to show my times slowing down every year, which is a bummer. I'm also much more wary about the endurance events- after a bad case of dehydration on a 35-mile charity bike ride in 2017 I'm afraid to try one again, although I did just do a couple of 20+-mile rides last weekend. I now have electrolyte salts and I'm far more careful about staying hydrated.

At this age, taking on new challenges is scary. When you're 35 you might pull a muscle. At 66 you might end up being taken off the course and loaded into an ambulance to head to the nearest ER. The corporate contest dropped the sprint triathlon a couple of years ago (concern about bacteria in the lake) and I decided to try the Duathlon (5K, 13 miles on the bike, another 5K) even though I hate running. I finished!

Then I found that two men in the 70+ category finished an hour faster than I did. (My time was 2 hours, 40 minutes.) I'd love to know what they eat for breakfast.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #30

Turning 65 this year and just had meniscus tear repaired in my left knee. Surgery went well but 2 days later I developed heel pain in the same leg(planters fasciatus) The heel pain is much better than the knee pain so I am doing fine. I am back on the golf course 2 days a week. I am the eternal optimist I am told by my kids, and my father was the same way. The only thing that makes me feel old is losing my spouse earlier this year. It leads to some loneliness that I have never experienced before. I know it will get better, but the wait for better is taking forever. Hug em if you got em!!
Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #31

53 and my exercise has lapsed too much to walking a lot while listening to a couple dozen different podcasts. However, I wanted a shock treatment after our brutally long winter and am in the midst of a ten week challenge at a gym 6 days/week of alternating days of kick boxing and resistance bands. I’m not trying to win the challenge, just thankful I can do all the work. My goal is to get fit enough to do some intensive yoga classes 3 days/week, which has lots of corollary benefits for both physical and mental health. I’m not in denial about aging, because being treated for a surprising case of pretty severe sleep apnea the last couple of years has been a significant slap in the face and wake up call to do what I can, while I can.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I'm 65. And I don't feel like that yet.

Sorry if you do. I'm sure everyone is different.

No, I dont feel like that. I was just asking a question when anyone feels like that. Im starting to feel some pain from some exercises at 55.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #33

In regards to getting old and cranky:

All my good friends know I'm direct with my dealings with others. It might come off as cranky but really I'm just not going to beat around the bush or make everybody feel good about themselves. Kind of a Jekyll and Hyde. Goofy but direct. However, I have understood those who are older and grow tired of the bull*hit. News, people whining, etc. Most of us have seen and been through a lot. Thus, we put up with less than we used to.

In regards to feeling old. I haven't really felt huge aches and pains other than the few first steps in the morning when I get out of bed. I work hard, work out hard and thus get my share of injuries. Currently recovering from a strained back from my deck project.

I will say that I had never had surgery until late 40's and then things started to break. In the next 15 years I think I had maybe a dozen surgeries on different parts of my body. In a good stretch now.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #34

68 and thankful that haven't really had any chronic issues other that a slight elevated BP I take a pill for. Refuse the statin for LDL that I've moved down from 140 to 115 through diet and exercise.

I'd be lying if I said everything was as easy now as it was 10-20 years ago. I've given up running regretfully, if I do one knee complains and I don't care to aggravate that. Still mountain bike 10-15 miles 2-3 x a week but getting a little slower not for performance but safety. Broke a collar bone several years ago and last month jabbed a tree branch into my forearm that ended up needing antibiotics. Days I don't do that I'll hike in woods for 3-6 miles. If I do I feel so much better than laying around.

One thing I've really noticed is that while I could keep my weight good in the past eating anything I wanted but exercising, even dedicated exercising won't let me gobble all I want any more. Have taken to skipping lunch and or breakfast when I creep up into the overweight BMI, really don't miss the meal. Eat more fish, less meat. Which defeats my pursuit of Robbie's dough blowing when I hit the steak section!

On the DW side, she hits gym every day and is trying to fight the loss of bone density. Weighs about what did in high school and in good shape. I should do more of the yoga stuff she does as I'm starting to feel some stiffness in neck.

In summary, at 68 we often remark how lucky we are to still be pretty able to do anything we care to without seeing the doctors. We know that could change overnight so try to do our part to maintain. And, frankly, the more exercise and better we eat, the better we feel all around.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Got hit with freaking anemia, probably starting in winter 2018 ,diagnosed in spring 2019. Did all the heart, lung, vascular tests first---- great shape there.

Not the normal slowdown type that can come from aging or not the dietary issue type. Partially may be involved with our long winters here.

Being called pernicious anemia at present, where I can't convert food into the elements needed in the bone to make blood cells. Supplements of D and B are working a bit although D is still nearly 50% below thresholds. Guess I will be going to weekly D shots next.

Still get out for our walks, kayaking etc. Will admit that 3 flights of stairs can be a bit much at times-- but damn my legs and leg muscles have never looked so good.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

I am very lucky that I have no aches and pains .When I go to the Doctor's they ask my pain level and I say zero so they ask me again . I do have a lung disease brought on by asthma gone bad. At 72 I am doing okay . I do hit the gym three times a week and lift weights two times when I remember . I am a very mellow person so I am rarely cranky .The one thing that drives me nuts is when I get down on the floor it is harder to get up .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #37

To me, it's gradual. I can remember playing a game of backyard basketball at 35 and being surprised at how sore I felt the next day.

Since then, I've seen an accumulation of things that tell me the body is getting older. Most have bigger impacts than sore muscles. If I listed them all, this would be a long post.

My sister says she doesn't notice changes from year to year. But, if she looks back a decade, it becomes clear. I think that's right for me.

The only clear change was when I broke my foot at age 68. At the time, I was jogging 25 minutes almost every day. I felt pretty good about that. That changed suddenly. Three years later, I still can't walk for exercise, much less jog.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I hit my wall three years ago at 59. My back finally gave up and I ended up having spinal surgery. Ever since then I have had to tone things down due to limitations from the surgery. It definitely put a damper on my retirement.

I can still do pretty much what I want to do except lifting things over 30-40 pounds. I just have to take my time and take plenty of breaks. After a hard days work I may end up taking a few days to recover. I just move a little slower and more deliberately now.

We try to hit the gym three days a week and can definitely tell the difference when we miss a few weeks. Luckily other than a little BPH I don't have any other issues to deal with.

And although the grandkids call me Grumpy instead of Grampy I don't think I am cranky at all!
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

i'm 55 and the weights are getting heavier - i was able to do 3 sets of 10 curl/presses with 25 lb dumbbells yesterday

i was also able to do 3 sets of 10 bench row with a 60 lb dumbbell but it felt really heavy

pushups are definitely getting more difficult but sit ups are getting easier ?

at this point, i don't think we should be trying to build muscle but just maintain it
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm 57 and have worked out most of my life, played a lot of sports, and done a lot of grunt work...shoveling gravel, shingling houses, etc.

So far I just noticed a bit of a dip around my mid-40's. I no longer sprint and will not exert myself without a warmup. Minor injuries take a little longer to heal and I'm a lot more cautious when picking up heavy things ensuring I don't twist the wrong way and hurt myself. But that's about it so far.

I just spent 2 days helping my brother build a garage and pounded a couple thousand nails and the only effect was slight cramping in my hand and minor muscle soreness.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote