Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

back to work medical coverage questions
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

back to work medical coverage questions

I found the answer to the question I posted below here
http://www.treas.gov/offices/public-...ity.shtml#hsa7
Looks like I can only have the HSA or employer insurance...not both.

DH and I retired in July 2007. We purchased a HSA health insurance policy (10G ded) listing DH as the primary insured and myself as spouse.

For many reasons, I have gone back to work. I am currently employed through a temp agency but it is highly likely I'll be hired on as a permanent employee. I know they offer insurance to permanent employees so I'm trying to think ahead and decide what to do about health insurance. From what I can gather searching the internet, I really can't tell if I can use the HSA as the primary policy and the company insurance as a secondary (basically use it to cover the ded on primary policy). I also have no idea how much (if any) employees pay for this insurance which will also have to factor in to my decision. This is what I have found so far on this subject:

Account owner cannot have any other health "1st dollar" insurance coverage. 1st dollar coverage includes a primary health insurance plan other than the HDHP, Tricare, Medicare, FSA, and HRA coverage.

Eventually I'll re-retire but for the next 3-5 years minimum I believe I'll need to work. Does anyone have any information or possibly point me to a website that might provide the answers I'm seeking? I'd hate to give up the HSA coverage in fear of developing a condition that would warrant an automatic denial. Naturally, I'm healthy at the moment but there are no guarantees in life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!