Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Given that in mohs they need to keep cutting until no cancer is found i.e., they don't know how far the cancer extends until they test each cut, I wonder how they know how far and wide to aim the radiation?

The width (area) is controlled by a "mask" (for lack of a better word) placed over the effected area during the radiation treatment (about 3 minutes). As far as how they calculate the total dosage I'm not sure. Though the equipment is new the concept (brachytherapy) has been used on other types of cancer. This option can NOT be used for melanoma.

t.r.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
The width (area) is controlled by a "mask" (for lack of a better word) placed over the effected area during the radiation treatment (about 3 minutes). As far as how they calculate the total dosage I'm not sure. Though the equipment is new the concept (brachytherapy) has been used on other types of cancer. This option can NOT be used for melanoma.

t.r.
But how do they know how big the mask should be? What's confusing me is how do they know the width/size for the radiation if the Mohs surgeon has to cut and test many times to get the same info?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
But how do they know how big the mask should be? What's confusing me is how do they know the width/size for the radiation if the Mohs surgeon has to cut and test many times to get the same info?
The MOHS surgeon drew a circle around what he felt was the cancerous area (a biopsy was done initially). It is a radiation so I'm sure the "edge" is not as controlled as with a scalpel. I don't want to claim to know all of the "science" behind this. You may want to google more info or if a candidate find a doctor to counsel with. I am happy with the overall procedure. There is a lack of long term studies following this approach. My age (69) was a factor in my decision.

t.r.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
The MOHS surgeon drew a circle around what he felt was the cancerous area (a biopsy was done initially). It is a radiation so I'm sure the "edge" is not as controlled as with a scalpel. I don't want to claim to know all of the "science" behind this. You may want to google more info or if a candidate find a doctor to counsel with. I am happy with the overall procedure. There is a lack of long term studies following this approach. My age (69) was a factor in my decision.

t.r.
I'm sure it works. Lots of studies seem to back it up. My questions were just out of curiosity.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #45

I did have that option once of Moh's or excision, so I assume the dermatologist has some idea of the probable extent of the cancer, for radiation or excision. I don't remember if they did a followup biopsy for the excision.

DW had her nose Moh's yesterday. Got it with one cut, but we had to wait an hour for the biopsy and another hour and a half for the repair. DW was a little surprised at the additional cuts made for the repair (so it doesn't pucker). Guess I forgot to warn her about that. A little sore yesterday, but less sore today. She did feel weird walking through Costco and having a hot dog for lunch with gauze over her nose, but did fine.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Fluouricil

In our CCRC, dozens of regulars who go for tests, scrapings, suspicious skin reviews.
Some in their 90's who go almost weekly. Haven't asked, but continuous visits must run into the multi thousands of dollars.

My one and only time.... 8 years ago... 100 miles, $200, cut and stitch. ok , as far as that was concerned, but an "unauthorized scraping"...of nose for suspicion. Call to return the next week, for results. Didn't go.

Tube or jar of fluourocil, $100 to $200...

Use daily suspicious spots as needed... probably 100 different times.... took care of all. Often, a short term redness for a week or so. More for use on head or other body parts, but can be used for facial cancers.... just need a band-aid cover.

Suggest you ask your regular doctor. It requires a prescription.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the benefits of Mohs is that it not only is able to get good clean margins, but the scarring after healing is very minimal. This is why only specific surgeons do it, they are being very aware of the "cosmetic" impact on the area being treated.
I think the anticipatory anxiety is awful but you will be relieved once its over.

Good luck!!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote