BCC # 13 and 14

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Yesterday I paid a visit to my dermatologist who took about 30 minute carving out my 13th and 14th basil cell carcinoma. In prior visits the doc at various times relieved me of 3 melanomas, as well as a couple of other unusual things. None of these operations have given me much pain, but they are endless.

It seems that all of the damage that I am reaping at age 65 was caused by me running around Tampa, FL in the 50s-60s taking advantage of fishing, swimming, beaching, biking, hiking, baseball playing and other outdoor kid-appropriate activities. After soaking up the sun for four hazy years in Tallahassee FL at FSU, I took advantage of an opportunity that the US Army was offering to enter something called the infantry. As it turns out, the infantry also spends a good deal of time in the out of doors also.

As a grown-up I always thought of myself as an out of place archaeologist, so I became active for many, many years in avocational archaeology. It turns out the this activity is also out of doors and requires exposure to the sun.

The bottom line is, be careful with your exposure to that Sun thing. If not, you will pay the same price that I am paying.

Hope you heal up quickly and as painlessly as possible. It's a good reminder for me to use sunscreen. Thanks.

I can add to this. A couple years ago, during a visit to Hawaii, we spent Thanksgiving at the parent's home of a close friend. Our friend's brother-in-law (the General Manager of a very large Resort) was, like everyone else, wearing shorts. His legs were covered with what I thought were shrapnel wounds. After a number of beers and lots of Poke, I had the nerve to ask what happened.

He told me that, during his mispent youth, he was one of Hawaii's famous "Beach Bums" and spent all his time surfing and laying in the sun. He was, I estimate in his late forties/early fifties and was now having melanomas removed on a fairly regular basis... and had been for a very long time.

I can tell you it was not a pretty sight.

The bottom line is, be careful with your exposure to that Sun thing. If not, you will pay the same price that I am paying.

Good advice. I'm beginning to pay the price myself, although not in your league. I've had 2 basil cells removed and one squamous cell removed in the last 3 years. I go to the dermatologist twice a year and he always uses a cryospray(freeze) on suspicious looking lesions.

I'm wearing plenty of sun screen now, but failed to do so when I was younger.:blush:

I'm very sensitive to the sun, burn easily and have had a few "dealies" removed. One was big enough I had to go to outpatient surgery in lieu of the dermatologist's office.

Despite this, my hobbies of kayaking and fishing keep me outdoors a lot. These days, no matter what the heat, it's long sleeve shirts, long pants, socks (horrible sun burns on the top of my feet.....ugh!) and a broad brimmed hat. Thank goodness for new hightech fabrics and blends that block UV but are reasonably cool and let a little breeze through.

SPF 50 sunblock is much cheaper when purchased in 55 gal drums.

Back
Top Bottom