Best pillow for neck pain

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
I have arthritis of the neck which seems to get worse (the pain I mean) when i lay down for a while. Can anyone suggest a pillow that offers good neck support or that they have found effective for an issue like this. I did ask my doctor but he just said I have to experiment. Agreed. But would like some starting point suggestions. Thanks very much.

I have arthritis of the neck which seems to get worse (the pain I mean) when i lay down for a while. Can anyone suggest a pillow that offers good neck support or that they have found effective for an issue like this. I did ask my doctor but he just said I have to experiment. Agreed. But would like some starting point suggestions. Thanks very much.

I don't have arthritis of the neck. But, I am a side sleeper with a long neck, and so I really like a thicker pillow that supports my head well, with my neck relatively straight. I like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EINBSEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sadly, my guess is that your doctor is right, and you may have to try a few before you find the one that works for you.

I like a very firm pillow, and use Martha Stewart's Memory Foam Cluster pillows from Walmart. They are only about $45 for a pack of two, and work very well for me.

I am a side sleeper, and I have learned to always wedge the pillow up between my ear and shoulder so that my shoulder is under the pillow. I seem to get the best neck support that way.

I also have neck arthritis. I have tried anti snore, curved, memory foam, soft, hard, side sleeper, etc.
I bought " a Saybrook adjustable pillow with Lion down alternative" about a year ago. I love it! It comes with a storage bag so you can pull out and save any amount of filling to make the pillow the desired fluff you want.
It is the first pillow I have had where I do not wake up with neck and shoulder pain.

I can't count how many different pillows I"ve tried. It seems a smaller pillow than a queen size that is easily manipulated in thickness. I change positions from side to back while sleeping, so I flip my pillow around, punch it and rearrange it often. I find my neck gets stiff if I stay in one position too long.

Edit: Looking into the Saybrook adjustable pillow, thank you.

Last edited:
I don’t have neck arthritis, but I assume keeping your spine aligned including your neck is important. Like others I’m a side sleeper, and two pillows under my head seems to keep my head aligned with my spine. One is not enough to keep my head in line. Of course how thick/firm the pillows are would be a factor. I also “hug” a third pillow to keep me from rolling onto my stomach while sleeping. Maybe TMI, only trying to help. I am guessing alignment may be as important if not more to neck comfort while sleeping? Best luck, waking up with aches is no fun.

I get migraines from my neck if I don’t use a cervical pillow. Just do a search on Amazon and get a memory foam one. I even have a small sized one for travel.

I have arthritis and have had neck surgery. I have to use a very thin, hard pillow. I found one years ago and have to take it with me when traveling. My DW tells me to throw it out since it's so old, but can't do that until I find something similar. Finding a good pillow is a pain in the neck.

I have pretty severe neck and cervical spine degeneration, and have gone through literally dozens of pillows trying to find something that worked for me.

After many years of searching, I tried a pretty unique "side sleeper" pillow from Sleep Artisan. It has a boomerang like cut-out (vs being rectangular in shape) so that your neck fits up "into" the pillow. It also has a combination of all-natural latex and microfiber poly silk "chunks" as filling and is openable so that you can remove or add material as needed to find the level of support that works for you. You can also buy more filling. I did buy some thinking I'd probably need to add to what the pillow comes with, but so far it's still in the bag unused as the pillow provided plenty of support for me. Guess if the filling ever does start to break down I can easily replace it, so the extra filling is maybe good to have for that reason..but so far, more than a year in, I haven't noticed any change in firmness from when it was brand new..

In addition to the degeneration issues, I have what DW lovingly calls "a big giant pumpkin head" :). So, I needed something with really good support. I used to use 2-3 pillows to get the support I need as traditional fills wouldn't hold my head up properly. When I got the Sleep Artisan pillow, I still used two at first - a soft down pillow on top of the Sleep Artisan one..but since have found that sleeping JUST on the Sleep Artisan pillow is still plenty to provide support - and it seems to align my head with my neck and spine a lot better.

LOVE this pillow. It's expensive at ~$109 for a Queen, but worth every penny IMHO.

I am a light sleeper and a side sleeper, so I need complete comfort for my body. I took a pillow with grains inside, from overseas and I find it much better than any other pillows.

They sell something similar in Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Lofe-Organic...prefix=pillow+with+grains,aps,147&sr=8-5&th=1

What I like about it is that you can easily adjust the height and width and it won't move around.
+1
I have used a buckwheat pillow for a decade or more, as mentioned above. I take it on vacation too. good support for my neck and good for my sinuses.

I use Beckham Hotel Pillows I bought on Amazon and they’ve been wonderful. I also use a body pillow and sleep on my side. I also have Cervical Disc Degeneration Disease and these were suggested by my physical therapist.

king size pillowhttps://a.co/2ZQ89Ut

Body pillowhttps://a.co/eQTRoRI

Back
Top Bottom