Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEZmoney View Post
True. We've consulted with people who have appointed a legal trustee designated to take care of their final care issues and advocate on their behalf. My aunt and uncle had such an arrangement as they suffered severe cognitive dysfunction in their final years. Had excellent care BTW.

I suppose for us, we'd hope to arrange some legal advocate no matter where we wind up. France has excellent elder care and ombudsman services due to their healthcare laws.

Very interesting. I've thought about how I'd put my "geezer team" in place, but haven't reached any conclusions. And, like you, it's complicated by the fact that I'm not sure I will be in the US (where I've been a resident for 60+ years but have no responsible family). The information about France is especially intriguing.

Maybe we need a new thread: "Your Geezer team when you have no family to rely on." I suspect we aren't the only ones thinking about this!
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
You are indeed fortunate that the aides supplied/managed by the CCRC were excellent (not the case at my parents' CCRC) and that the CCRC was responsible if one called in sick, etc. Someone managing aides for an individual at home is on the spot if they get a call that the aide isn't coming into work for the next two days; the agency may or may not send a substitute.

But you said "when we decided" -- and that is key. You made decisions about levels of care, etc. The CCRC cannot/will not do that beyond calling you or calling for an ambulance. So the resident must have a "responsible person" (RP) on call.

Suppose your mother falls and breaks her hip (God fordbid). I'm curious: how does that scenario play out? Does the CCRC call you and say they're putting her in an ambulance to St Elsewhere Hospital, and the ball is now in your court? If you're not close to the hospital, does everything then transpire by phone between you and the hospital? Does the CCRC have any responsibility for / interest in her at the hospital?

Sadly in the case of the CCRC my parents were in, the resident was simply put in an ambulance, the RP was called, and the CCRC was then out of the loop. If the RP couldn't be reached right away, it was up to the hospital, not the CCRC, to continue trying. And meanwhile the elderly resident was there at the hospital, alone without an advocate.

For anyone researching a CCRC, outlining specific "what if" scenarios is key in understanding where responsibility ends and begins, and if the RP should be nearby (1 hour?) and available 24/7 by phone. We did not ask those questions when my parents went for their 9 months in a CCRC. I wish we had.
The second time mother fell, the CCRC called an ambulance (fortunately nothing broken) and the CCRC immediately called my sister, the HCPOA, who lives 15 minutes away. Mother was taken to a local hospital, stayed a couple of nights and then came back to the CCRC where she went to the rehabilitation center where she stayed a couple of weeks until she could go back to her apartment with help. I don't know what would happen if one of the children could not be reached right away, unlikely that would happen since we all have the CCRC's phone number programmed in our phones and immediately answer when they call. There are 3 of us --one lives 15 minutes away, one 45 minutes away and I live about 2 hours away so we can all get there fast.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The second time mother fell, the CCRC called an ambulance (fortunately nothing broken) and the CCRC immediately called my sister, the HCPOA, who lives 15 minutes away. Mother was taken to a local hospital, stayed a couple of nights and then came back to the CCRC where she went to the rehabilitation center where she stayed a couple of weeks until she could go back to her apartment with help. I don't know what would happen if one of the children could not be reached right away, unlikely that would happen since we all have the CCRC's phone number programmed in our phones and immediately answer when they call. There are 3 of us --one lives 15 minutes away, one 45 minutes away and I live about 2 hours away so we can all get there fast.

So glad to hear the CCRC system worked well (went to hospital, came back to a couple of weeks of supported cared and then back to independent) and, more importantly, that your DM was OK. There is absolutely no chance that my parents' CCRC would have worked so smoothly in the same scenario (despite being "highly rated" and affiliated with a major national university.)

What is also key here is that there are three of you: important for your mother, important for the CCRC, and important for each of you because it means that no-one is 100% responsible, 24/7. What a fortunate family set-up!
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote