Bidet?

Bidet? Have one, used one, want one or not?

• I've used one.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I'm going to get one.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I have one or more.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • OMG, gross. I'm sorry I read this.

Votes: 24 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to travel to Japan a lot when I was wo&@#ng. That's when I became familiar with the Japanese-style wash-o-lets. I really got to like using them. DW and I will be starting a master bath remodel soon. We plan to install a new wash-o-let with all the bells and whistles. Looking forward to it.

I tried one in Rome- not impressed. As Sunset noted, I just felt all wet and there was a lot to dry off. I could probably go for a toilet with a built-in bidet and dryer- hey, you'd save money on toilet paper, right? ;-)

Funny story my Ex used to tell- some executives from his company went to Europe and thought the bidet was another toilet. Then they found it wouldn't flush. They left the mess for the maid to clean. :yuk: We took DS to Rome with us (he was 18 at the time) and I showed him the bidet and explained its function. I didn't want him to make the same mistake!

I traveled with a guy, he was the typical ugly American. Traveling with him was always unpredictable and I was sometimes very embarrassed by his behavior.

The Marriott in Amsterdam had separate ones in the bathrooms. He wanted to know what it was. Being a little ticked at his latest ignorant statement about the maids, I told him straight faced; it's a fancy European hair wash bowl and he should keep all his hair products right next to it. That way he'd appear worldy to the maid staff. He figured it out soon enough, but it was good for a days laugh.

Have one in the cottage we bought of all places. Don't really use it and have sprayed myself with it in the past. DW doesn't use it either. Having lived in the middle-east for 3 years - all of the squatters had a dish sink type spray hose to use in bidet fashion.

I have a sprayer from my daughters cloth diaper days (me=hoarder!) that would work I think. Looks like the fancy ones on amazon.

We had separate ones in our custom-built by an Italian house. DW used it a few times but we have never had another one (since 1995). We like soft absorbent TP.

We also have hand-held sprayers in both our showers now.

I've stayed in many European hotels with bidets, but never have the instructions been posted.

How do you use'em?

Some you just push a button, some have valves, others have levers.

My deluxe unit has an infrared remote control.

Guess drip dry is not a favorite option for ladies.

OTOH Crocdile Dundee is a bit puzzled by the appliance.

Used them in Europe. Installed a standalone in a house we built (but no longer own).

Would like to remodel the master bath and add one.

BlueBidet. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We have one in our master. I've been using it for 16 years now, and would never even think of not using it every time. The thought of just wiping down there with dry scratchy toilet paper is just gross to me.

Of course, before I installed one, I had no idea what it was or how to use it, and like most Americans, couldn't imagine why I would ever want one. In my opinion, Europeans got this one right, and Americans could learn something here about hygiene.

One can only hope.

I think our cat would enjoy an additional water feature in the bathroom. She loves to watch the toilet flush!

Loved the Toto in Japan. I know we would use that, but we would never use the stand alone once the novelty wore off--do your business on one throne and then move to another for cleaning? And what about all the calls to nature when a bidet is not available--do you really feel filthy in those cases? I always thought the stand-alone bidet was designed for daily use in lieu of a daily full bath (something other cultures feel Americans are obsessed with).

Last edited:
I'm sure, I plumbed it to the house water supply.

When using such a device, are you sure that you know where the water that is used in it's operation is coming from? Just askin'.

That's the fun of it. When it comes with from the fresh water supply, you not only feel refreshed but it's like winning the lottery.

I always thought the stand-alone bidet was designed for daily use in lieu of a daily full bath (something other cultures feel Americans are obsessed with).
Right! Remind me not to take a crowded elevator on a hot day in Europe.

Right! Remind me not to take a crowded elevator on a hot day in Europe.

Sat on a bench in Fuengirola today, and observed two large Brit women passing about 20-25' away......the more massive of the two took out a spray deodorant from her bag and, without breaking stride, gave each armpit a couple substantial squirts.

I didn't have the nerve to shout "Get an all over bidet!" :LOL:

Last edited:
Sat on a bench in Fuengirola today, and observed two large Brit women passing about 20-25' away......the more massive of the two took out a spray deodorant from her bag and, without breaking stride, gave each armpit a couple substantial squirts.
One of my employees was very good but he had nervous sweat which made him malodorous by 2 pm each day. I finally got up the nerve to call him into my office and give him a high test roll-on. I recommended a bathroom break at noon to reinforce it daily.

He never had another problem and I am pretty sure his career took off because of the fix.:angel:

The spouse used to work for a Japanese company. After his first trip to Tokyo, that's what he wanted. We're on the second generation of the Japanese style washlet now and miss them while traveling. Scrubbing the delicates with a wad of paper is gross, never feels clean, and can be awfully irritating at first.

Back
Top Bottom