Biohack your life with bulletproof coffee

bjorn2bwild

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting piece in today's Bloomberg news -

But of all his out-there health claims, it’s the coffee he’s drinking—blended with butter made with milk from grass-fed cows and a medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil derived from coconut oil—that’s making Asprey most famous. He calls the mixture Bulletproof coffee. Drink it, the name implies, and you’ll feel invincible. “Fats and caffeine help stimulate the brain
Buttered Coffee Could Make You Invincible. And This Man Very Rich - Bloomberg Business

link to his blog - https://www.bulletproofexec.com/blog/

Last edited:
Well I had butter tea in Bhutan but I found it somewhat disgusting. Didn't make me feel invincible. Maybe I need to use cow butter instead of yak.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yak butter tea was the inspiration for his product - his pitch is the medium chain triglycerides, C8 (caprylic acid) and C10 (capric acid) are key for the buzz. Don't forget the orange tinted glasses. :)

Last edited:
Waste of good coffee. Waste of good butter. Decent coffee needs a whisper of cream and nothing else. There's no point drinking bad coffee no matter how it's doctored.

Yak butter tea was the inspiration for his product - his pitch is the medium chain triglycerides, C8 (caprylic acid) and C10 (capric acid) are key for the buzz. Don't forget the orange tinted glasses. :)

They clash with my tinfoil hat. :facepalm:

Waste of good coffee. Waste of good butter. Decent coffee needs a whisper of cream and nothing else. There's no point drinking bad coffee no matter how it's doctored.

Agree with the sentiment - except the cream. Good coffee has absolutely no adulterants, just the coffee.

Don't like the idea of messing with my coffee. So I make something similar using hot chocolate. I add a teaspoon of coconut oil. Love the taste. And a jar last me a long time and does not cost that much.

It sounds like none of you have tried it. It's delicious - kind of like a rich latte. It's also filling. I eat a much lighter and later lunch since I started the bulletproof coffee.

Do you know how much butter goes into a cup? or how many calories it has?

Just curious...

It sounds like none of you have tried it. It's delicious - kind of like a rich latte. It's also filling. I eat a much lighter and later lunch since I started the bulletproof coffee.

I've tried it, and I think Asprey is generally correct that butter (especially pastured butter) is good for you. But I prefer my coffee black. I do, however, use pastured butter liberally on most foods.

Do you know how much butter goes into a cup? or how many calories it has?

Just curious...

I'm guessing it would be to taste - I was curious as to why butter not cream, this is the comp I found on a nutrition site -

Heavy cream vs unsalted butter, 100g
cal - 345/717
carb - 2.8g/.4g
tot fat - 37g/81.1g
sat - 23g/51.4
mono - 10.7g/21g
poly - 1.4g/3g
omega 3 - 538g/315g
omega 6 - 836g/2728g

So it looks as though butter is about twice as dense. Using the Bulletproof coffee to extend the fasting/low insulin period sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
For those who have not had butter coffee, you are missing out. Yes, I like my coffee black (actually, my preference is an Americano). However, butter coffee is a very nice occasional treat. I never thought I'd like it, but it's quite good.

Try it!

I love the buttered coffee, and use about a teaspoon of grassfed butter and a teaspoon of coconut oil. My son-in-law just whisks coconut oil into his coffee; I like a hand blender and a touch of cream.

I also make "bulletproof tea" most mornings - mug of Irish Breakfast tea with a tablespoon of coconut oil blended with a hand blender. Keeps me "full" until 10 or 11 am, when I eat an early lunch or late breakfast.

Probably a coincidence, but when I was a high end restaurant server 40 years ago, the better (ethnic) busboys always put a pat of butter in the coffee grounds drip filter before brewing. Clearly only a trace of butter per cup. They were convinced it made the coffee taste better, and they insisted customers agreed. I never verified their claims, but I never heard a complaint either...that's all I cared about, providing the best experience we could for every table.

I have been meaning to give it a try. At least maybe just a little bit of butter to see if I like it.

My chemist friend told me that adding cream to coffee should make it stain your teeth less. Assuming that's true(?), I wonder if it's also true for butter.

As of now, I just drink my coffee black.

I tried a couple of cups with bulletproof coffee and it was OK. But for my taste buds the hot chocolate variant is even better.

If I have one for breakfast - along with a regular cup of coffee - I can easily wait another 6-8 hours for my next meal.

I put a decent sized pat of unsalted butter in my coffee this morning. Actually it didn't taste that different but left a slight aftertaste / oily feeling in the mouth. Of course DW says my taste buds are killed by all the hot sauce I use.

Re milk reducing staining -- I have heard this too. Here's what an orthodontist wrote on quora:

Yes, Animal-Based Milk Products will reduce staining from coffee
Milk proteins bind to a portion of the staining compounds in the coffee (these compounds may become unbound during digestion so this binding action likely does not have an impact on coffee as a source for antioxidants although the verdict is still out on that)
The coffee stain binding effect is enhanced by a higher lipid/fat concentration so whole milk will bind more staining compounds than skim milk for instance.

Does adding milk in coffee reduce the effect of stained teeth? - Quora

I drink this every morning. 1 tablespoon of the MCT oil and 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter. Blend well in my vitamix. It is frothy and delicious!

I don't eat again until about 1:00pm. It was the beginning of a few changes I made with my diet that has helped me lose a few pounds and feel like a million bucks!

Try it for a couple of days!
Liz

Buttered coffee is not bad at all, but it is different from other forms of coffee.

I do not use the expensive forms of coffee, MCT oil etc. offered by some. I get my coffee and coconut oil from Costco, my cream from the super market and my butter from Trader Joes or Costco.

I like butter and I like coffee. So I'll have to try this.
After having done the paleo thing for awhile, I noted how adding a good dollop of fat to breakfast in particular (ie. cooking eggs in butter) kept me full and satisfied for many hours, much longer than cereal or oatmeal or the like. I'm now a believer, especially in good butter!

I like butter and I like coffee. So I'll have to try this.
After having done the paleo thing for awhile, I noted how adding a good dollop of fat to breakfast in particular (ie. cooking eggs in butter) kept me full and satisfied for many hours, much longer than cereal or oatmeal or the like. I'm now a believer, especially in good butter!

+1

Eggs cooked in butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast is the best part of paleo/LCHF eating. I'm never hungry before lunch. When I used to eat cereal or toast for breakfast I was seriously hungry and ready for a snack by midmorning almost every day.

+1

Eggs cooked in butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast is the best part of paleo/LCHF eating. I'm never hungry before lunch. When I used to eat cereal or toast for breakfast I was seriously hungry and ready for a snack by midmorning almost every day.
Precisely! Along with the eggs and coconut oil, I throw in raw organic or live (fermented myself!) plant material having a few carbs but not enough to raise blood glucose.

Buttered coffee is not bad at all, but it is different from other forms of coffee.

I do not use the expensive forms of coffee, MCT oil etc. offered by some. I get my coffee and coconut oil from Costco, my cream from the super market and my butter from Trader Joes or Costco.

They carry cream at my Costco.

Kindest regards.

Back
Top Bottom