Blood Glucose Meter - which One to buy?

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
With so many brands and models, it is confusing. Please recommend one. I am pre-diabetic and would like to monitor my own blood sugar.

I find that One Touch Ultra works well,[ 5 second test] however it's the only brand I have used given that my hmo provides it. Look at the test strip cost as well, it's a razor and blade cost thing.

I have the One Touch Ultra too. Works fine, it's consistant so I assume accurate.

I got a free Freestyle Lite (free), and it was much better than the RiteAid True Touch. It was better because it needed a much smaller drop, so it hurt less to prick your finger.

OK, I will have to look at what I have later...

But I like the Contour USB one of the three that I have used... it has a color screen, is easier to read and uses less blood... however, my insurance would not pay for the strips so I am using the Contour... do not believe them when they say 'fewer false readings'... it takes a good drop of blood to work.. and does not draw it in that well all the time... when I use mine, I have to make sure the drop is twice what is needed to work..

But as mentioned, the test strips are where the costs are.... I got a free meter from our local store... and their strips are pretty cheap... I would probably use them instead of Contour if paying out of pocket..

Plus, you can get some cheap strips on Ebay... just look for the date as some sell them almost expired...

With so many brands and models, it is confusing. Please recommend one. I am pre-diabetic and would like to monitor my own blood sugar.
I have used Relion (Walmart) for about 5 yrs. I tried diff. ones and to me they are all the same. I once got the one recommended on the Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Forum and it was pretty much the same but a lot more $$$$$

I tried the Walmart Relion meter but it never worked well. It always read very low compared to my Accuchek Aviva. I've been using a Wavesense Presto for the last few months. It's as good as my Aviva and the test strips are much cheaper. Also, if you're in an area with Kroger grocery stores, their "store brand" meter is the Presto and they have reasonably-priced strips for it as well.

Freestyle and One Touch seem to be good brands, you can usually get the meter for free because the real money for the manufacturer are the strips.
Also, if you are on Medicare part B, they will pay for part of your strips maybe all if you have supplemental insurance. Just get a script from your prescriber with specific instructions (test 4 times a day) and take it to your pharmacy.

If I ever get my diabetes fully under control (or reversed) via diet (it's fairly well controlled now, but not completely), I have a plan for improving my cash flow. I get my Ultra One Touch strips from my HMO for $5/50 strips. If I don't need them for testing I'll sell them to Marty and the other eBayers. Guaranteed in date and I can undercut the other sellers and still make money. Maybe this will be the incentive I need to lose some more weight and get some exercise!

I currently use the Freestyle Freedom Lite meter.

I've used Freestyle meters for over a decade and they have been reliable (when matched against my lab tests). The Freedom Lite is the latest meter which is not only much faster, but requires much less of a blood sample.

I currently pay $5/100 strip/lancets through my insurance (pre-Medicare). I have no idea what the strip/lancet retail price is.

Last edited:
If I ever get my diabetes fully under control (or reversed) via diet (it's fairly well controlled now, but not completely), I have a plan for improving my cash flow. I get my Ultra One Touch strips from my HMO for $5/50 strips. If I don't need them for testing I'll sell them to Marty and the other eBayers. Guaranteed in date and I can undercut the other sellers and still make money. Maybe this will be the incentive I need to lose some more weight and get some exercise!

Now that you've divulged your cost;), I'll pay you $10/50 strips directly, no middle-man (ebay/paypal) and then I'll turn around and re-re-sell them for $20! Win-Win for everybody! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom