Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a thought for you. Every time I have commented on an unusually high BP reading taken by a nurse, the doctor has taken it again him or herself (after I had been sitting for several minutes). That reading (always in the normal range) was recorded as well, making it much more reasonable.
Thanks for info, but I will definitely skip the cup of high test joe next year.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious - I've noticed a few people mention that their high HP reading was now part of their record. Why is a high reading being part of your record a concern?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #63

I'm gonna guess record concerns are because a high reading = HBP = Pre-existing condition, if that part of the ACA protection law ever gets removed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #64

Just had my annual physical at age 60. BP was measured at 131/82 which is about my average for the past decade (I have an Omron machine and do home readings). Neither the nurse or doctor mentioned anything about it. But they did ask about my sexual activity, drug use, depression, STD screening, etc
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, we go in for physicals together (back-to-back appts) and compare notes afterward. Neither of us has ever been asked about sexual activity or STDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Just had my annual physical at age 60. BP was measured at 131/82 which is about my average for the past decade (I have an Omron machine and do home readings). Neither the nurse or doctor mentioned anything about it. But they did ask about my sexual activity, drug use, depression, STD screening, etc
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Wow, we go in for physicals together (back-to-back appts) and compare notes afterward. Neither of us has ever been asked about sexual activity or STDs.
Must be a new drug about to come out. X% of Baby Boomers could have an X% chance of a rare but potentially fatal or annoying sexually transmitted disease....

Fading old people afraid of death or just prone to thinking too much of themselves will conclude they have or could potentially have it.. thus feeling like or potentially feeling like sexy young people who could actually get a disease. Sex and fear. C'CHING!
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #67

Quote:
As well as whether there are firearms at home, or whether you feel threatened at all?
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
As well as whether there are firearms at home, or whether you feel threatened at all?
Yes, I forgot that one. They asked if there were any domestic abuse issues in the home. I almost gave a smart-ass answer like "she ain't hit me in a long time", but wisely gave the appropriate answer.
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I forgot that one. They asked if there were any domestic abuse issues in the home. I almost gave a smart-ass answer like "she ain't hit me in a long time", but wisely gave the appropriate answer.
NOYB?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #70

Quote:
A wise decision. DW's nephew or his wife did that (don't remember which one) gave an answer like that and the next time they were both there, the staff called the nephew aside for some pretext reason and another staffer quietly asked the wife "Is your husband still beating you?" So evidently someone wrote it down.

BTW, in many states medical staff are legally required to ask that question and if the answer is positive then refer the couple to counseling services.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing to consider is how the measurement is made.

The standard is to sit at a table for 5 minutes before taking it. In the doctor's office, they march you from the waiting room maybe 75 steps to the scale, humiliate you there, and then sit you down and measure it. Duh!

I asked my doctor if there's a standard for how quickly an BP elevated from normal walking would return to baseline. He didn't know of a standard, or of a study of this. I asked Dr Google, and found exactly ONE study that indicated that about 85% of people would settle down to their baseline by 8 minutes after normal activity.

My own BP can be 115/72 after sitting down for 8 minutes, but after the Walk of Shame at the doctor's it's usually 138/80.

Try this at home with your meter and see what happens. Throw in a flight of stairs or two as well.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
One thing to consider is how the measurement is made.

The standard is to sit at a table for 5 minutes before taking it. In the doctor's office, they march you from the waiting room maybe 75 steps to the scale, humiliate you there, and then sit you down and measure it. Duh!

I asked my doctor if there's a standard for how quickly an BP elevated from normal walking would return to baseline. He didn't know of a standard, or of a study of this. I asked Dr Google, and found exactly ONE study that indicated that about 85% of people would settle down to their baseline by 8 minutes after normal activity.

My own BP can be 115/72 after sitting down for 8 minutes, but after the Walk of Shame at the doctor's it's usually 138/80.

Try this at home with your meter and see what happens. Throw in a flight of stairs or two as well.
my body weight at peak ( 25 years old ) was 120 pounds at 45 years i took up body-building and briefly touched 154 pounds but lost the weight when i stopped , ( it just fell off )

now i could brag about the weight lost since i have been unwell but at 110 pounds at 60 any loss since will just make some weep ( probably nudging 90 pounds now )

but back to blood pressure ' fit was 180/140 ( at 120 bpm and that was body-building at that .. but the veins and definition was awesome ) ( i lost over 10 pounds in 3 hours during the competition )

now IF i did just 10 push-ups the BP dropped to 80/40 , but the heart rate went to 250 bpm ,
in the same period IF i went 4 days with almost no sleep ( working/training around the clock ) the DP was 120/70 at 72 bpm ( not bad for a 50 year old i reckon ) of course the first time they ever put me on an EKG ( in 2016 ) they realized there was a problem , 4 attempts later the technician described the rhythm as haphazard ( NOT the infamous Tombstone pattern ) and sent me back to the GP ' be the first one in the door !!! ' he said

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
BP before going up and down stairs twice:

119/77

BP immediately after going up and down stairs twice:
151/77

BP 8 minutes after that:
119/76
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote