Blood Pressure and Age

HadE: yes they were ok with that. The problem I have is that my BP can fluctuate a lot. I recently had a brain scan because of my balance problems and they found spikes where my BP has went too high (cerebral vascular disease). They consider me young to have that at 62. So I really try to stay on top of my BP.

This morning I went to the Doctor for a heart/liver/kidney health check-up, having done fasting blood test last week.

While taking my BP she said that for my age (62) the target should be less than 140/90. I was 132/82 today which was nice to see, particularly since I'd walked briskly for 20 minutes in a temperature of ~37F in snow flurries and only had a 10 minute sit down. I take my own BP most days and it is usually in the range 130-150/70-90 so it was good to get confirmation that my own readings are reasonably accurate. The longer I can stay off meds the better.
With AFIB you're already a possible candidate for anti coagulants at 65 with a CHADS VASc score of 1. With high BP it's definitely recommended as the score goes to 2.

With AFIB you're already a possible candidate for anti coagulants at 65 with a CHADS VASc score of 1. With high BP it's definitely recommended as the score goes to 2.

No doubt it is coming at some point but with the new higher norm for age related BP I'll have a few years more without meds I think.

It's been 140/90 since 2003

Revised guidelines from Dec 2013:
The opinion published in JAMA advises treatment at 140/90 for adults from ages 30 to 59, but starting only at 150/90 for people 60 and older. The American Heart Association maintains its recommendation of initiating treatment — starting with lifestyle changes and then medication if necessary — at 140/90 until age 80, then at 150/90.
American Heart Association backs current BP treatments

So - for under 60, 140/90 is considered the threshold for high blood pressure.

For 60 and older it has been moved up to 150/90 before initiating BP treatment.

Maybe they got rid of the "pre-hypertensive" language for folks between 120 and 140. That range was never indicated for treatment. More of a warning to watch it and make lifestyle changes to bring it back down.

Under 120/80 was considered normal. And no, 140/90 is not normal, it's high. The "normal" language did go away in the 2013 guidelines.

Interesting note from the Harvard Health blog:
Tailor treatment to your needs. No matter what the guidelines say, your blood pressure treatment and goals should be tailored to you personally. For example, a very old and frail person is more likely to feel better and have less fall risk with fewer medications and a blood pressure higher than 150 or even 160.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...for-managing-high-blood-pressure-201312186953

Last edited:
When my BP hits 150 I get a massive headache. For most people it can be the silent killer but I always get a sign which is good.

When my BP hits 150 I get a massive headache. For most people it can be the silent killer but I always get a sign which is good.
I rarely have headaches, but I have one today.

This morning I decided to take my BP. By the time I got around to it the headache had subsided somewhat but not completely. BP was 106/76 which is pretty typical for me - at least the systolic number.

Headache came back strong this afternoon, so I decided to try again to see if my BP was elevated. A little higher, but only 112/74.

Just curious.

OK now I'm going to take an Advil which will raise my BP.

Me too. Around 150 my head feels like it will blow. I also get weird feelings if my resting heartrate gets up over 100.

My problem is low blood pressure. Last Dr. visit it was 101/69. I'm on 25 mg of metoprolol twice a day and 20 mg of Xarelto (anticoagulant, not a blood thinner) once a day to treat atrial flutter. Weight is normal and walk about 25 miles per week in the winter, closer to 60 miles/week in the summer.

When I have a bout of atrial flutter, BP drops to 80/60. I'm pretty out of it with the reduced blood flow. If there's another prolonged bout that requires a cardioversion, I'll be pushing for ablation therapy so I can get off the drugs.

Some diabetic drugs can also lower blood pressure, so we've had to make some adjustments over time to get rid of light headedness or dizzy spells.

While I was in high school my goal was to fly in the Air Force after getting a engineering degree via the US Air Force Academy. I was an Eagle Scout, camping and hiking one weekend every month from 11 to 18 years of age. I ran track, played basketball in grade school and high school, and was an exceptional student. At 16, I had a part time job at a hardware store where I clerked and manually unloaded trucks of freight, concrete products, peat moss, Scotts lawn products and water softener salt. It took me 45 minutes to walk to and from work. I was 6' 5" tall and weighed 180#, and when my daughter sees pictures of me during those years, she swears I'm an Auschwitz survivor. The Air Force monitored my blood pressure for 60 days after my 130/90 reading during my physical at Wright Patterson.

It was 130/90 during my monitored period, my 20's, 30's, 40's, and while w@rking for the boss from hell it went to 150/100. I was put on meds, and it went to 120/80 while on meds. Eight years later, I'm 2.5 years into retirement, still on meds, now 118/78. Did they help me? I think so, and have a long list of people I still hope to aggravate. I'm 6'5" and go 235 now.

Last edited:
I was disqualified from flying in the Air Force because of my height, the cutoff was 6' 2". One of the flight surgeons said they could waive the requirement, but couldn't guarantee what 3" I would lose when/if I used my ejector seat. I declined the waiver.

Back
Top Bottom