Join Early Retirement Today

Blood Pressure monitor
Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Blood Pressure monitor

Anyone use a home blood pressure monitor? My doc suggested that I check my bp every once in a while. Just wondering if anyone checks theirs at home and what they use.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have this one. Reasonably priced.

Blood Pressure Monitor-Wrist Accurate Automatic Digital bp Monitor with Large LCD Backlight Display and Includes Batteries,High Blood Pressure Machine Cuff with 180 Memories 2 Users Mode for Home Use https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08D9H6C2W
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have this and was recommend for a good home monitor. Mine is the 65$ one. Don't get a cheap one is my recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Pressur...&ts_id=3777151
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #4

I use the Omron 3 Series upper arm monitor. Doc recommends the upper arm ones saying the wrist ones are not that accurate. I've had to check my BP for years, so perhaps the wrist ones are better now.

Will need to have mine recalibrated soon as it's going on 1.5 years old.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

I own 2 arm ones, both still working and are in 2 homes. I also bought a wrist model about 10 years ago and it is accurate as well. Right now I just rely on the wrist blood pressure monitor.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have a Withings. My scales and my thermometer are from the same company and they all have WiFi to keep a record of everything all in one place.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:20 AM   #7

Sorry that I do not have the link but NYT in their Wirecutter product reviews just made a recommendation of their top 3 choices, you may want to check that out.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:10 AM   #8
Administrator

I’ve used an Omron monitor fir over 10 years now.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:13 AM   #9
gone traveling

I have an Omron upper arm device. It’s not Bluetooth which I wish it had. I will probably get a Bluetooth Omron bp device so that I can combine bp readings with ekg from my KardiaMobile device and send all of the data for cardiologist review once per year.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This thread sparked my curiosity so I looked up the Wirecutter article that savory mentioned. They recommend this one for $55.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #11

Indefinitely recommend an arm cuff type. I have an Orman. However, I think the most important thing to do is take it with you when you go to the dr and verify the readings. Mine runs a little high on the top number. In that vein, I look at the difference/trend more than the actual numbers. I can trust that if it shows I’m way up on a particular day that I’m am indeed having a bad BP day. I don’t give much thought to the specific numbers displayed.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Anyone use a home blood pressure monitor? My doc suggested that I check my bp every once in a while. Just wondering if anyone checks theirs at home and what they use.
My doctor recommended a number of brands of BP monitors. The one I ended up with is OMRON Platinum Blood Pressure Monitor - model #BP5450.

I just had a follow-up appointment with my doctor yesterday to see if the new BP medication she prescribed is effective. Her BP readings were inline with the ones I've gotten with my home BP monitor.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
However, I think the most important thing to do is take it with you when you go to the dr and verify the readings.
I have an Omron BP5100. I think the main issue is I don't always use it properly: Is it the right tightness? Is my arm raised or rested properly? etc. But it seems to work as is not inconsistent with my doctor office readings.

I think I'll take mine with me on my next visit and ask the nurse who gathers my stats to show me properly, and then compare results with hers. (she tends to spend more time than the doctors...)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Just had my annual physical and I mentioned my intent to get a home device but PCP suggested holding off a bit. He believes Medicare will expand coverage to include home monitoring devices, but of course I don’t have Medicare.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I ordered an Omron platinum (a Blow that Dough blood pressure monitor) from Amazon. It will be here today.

I've been to my new Dr. for my 2 Medicare Wellness checks. Last year BP was 142/83. This year (yesterday) 147/76. Dr. says it is a little high. My reasoning is that I went running before both appts. He doesn't think that the running would affect blood pressure 1.5 to 2 hours after running. So he recommended I start monitoring.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I ordered an Omron platinum (a Blow that Dough blood pressure monitor) from Amazon. It will be here today.

I've been to my new Dr. for my 2 Medicare Wellness checks. Last year BP was 142/83. This year (yesterday) 147/76. Dr. says it is a little high. My reasoning is that I went running before both appts. He doesn't think that the running would affect blood pressure 1.5 to 2 hours after running. So he recommended I start monitoring.
Look up BP recommendations based on age. It’s normal for BP to go up as you age. If you’re over 60, yours doesn’t seem to high, but of course I’m no doctor.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I check mine at home every couple of weeks and have home monitored for years. Mainly to have a record because it’s always higher at the doctors office.

Omron BP786 which uses an upper arm cuff.

I use the mode where it averages 3 readings and I sit quietly for 5 mins before taking it.

Last BP was 100/72

My BP dropped quite a bit when I cut out most carbs. It’s a well known benefit. Higher insulin levels increase BP because insulin makes the kidneys retain sodium and they retain more water to compensate.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

And I have/had premature ventricular contractions that were found in last year's ekg and stress test, so I'm not sure what if any effect that will have on my monitoring bp.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Good question for your doctor obviously, but blood pressure is monitoring blood flow.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #20
gone traveling

Bp readings vary widely with cuff height relative to right ventricle and, separately, body posture. It’s a hydraulic problem, as in hydraulic engineering.

Cuff needs to be level with the right ventricle. Body posture needs to be sitting erect with feet on the floor. Try reading bp in the supine position with your arm dangling below you on the floor. Then measure bp while standing on your feet with the cuff on your arm raised over your head. Very different readings. Consistency is important as with any test measurement.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote