Join Early Retirement Today

Blood Sugar reading
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blood Sugar reading

Diagnosed type 2 about a year ago, but A1C has been averaging 5.8 over last year, which I'm told is pretty good. Last visit, my Dr. asked me how my numbers were and I told him that I don't know because I haven't been taking the readings... he didn't particularly like that answer...so, I've been testing daily for the last month and my average fasting reading is 110.

From what I've read, a consistent 126 or higher is the number that triggers the type 2 diagnosis, I don't quite understand the disease except to say that it runs in my family although no relative has been severely affected. He does have me on 500mg of Metformin daily and he basically told me that 'if it tastes good, spit it out' and lose a few pounds.

so my question is: how am I really doing?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Did you lose a few pounds?
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

I am not a doctor, nor do I personally have diabetes. But do have some experience with family. It seems you are in what the medical folks call pre-diabetes. You could get worse and become diabetes (Type 2), but if you watch diet and weight, get some exercise, you may be able to keep it at current levels and not ever become Type 2 diabetic. Limit your carbs intake and sugar, and that will have a good positive effect on your numbers.

There are medical professionals on here and they can do better on an answer than me.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Did you lose a few pounds?
not yet...about 20 lbs to go... this is not what the Doc said, but close..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sgfxEV3.jpg (61.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

FWIW, that same low carb diet will be a big help in taking weight off too.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
It seems you are in what the medical folks call pre-diabetes. You could get worse and become diabetes (Type 2), but if you watch diet and weight, get some exercise, you may be able to keep it at current levels and not ever become Type 2 diabetic. Limit your carbs intake and sugar, and that will have a good positive effect on your numbers.
Sounds like the OP has already been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and the medication is helping to keep the blood glucose levels down. I would think the type 2 classification would hold until the glucose levels were lowered without the use of medication (diet and exercise alone).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP:
Are you taking cholesterol lowering drug(s)?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
OP:
Are you taking cholesterol lowering drug(s)?
just started Pravastatin.. but the side effects of muscle pain/soreness are making me think about asking the Doc to evaluate the meds in my case.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, that same low carb diet will be a big help in taking weight off too.
yep.. it's the loaf of bread and sack of potatoes every night that I need to avoid..
Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last October after being pre diabetic for a few years. My A1C was 7.4 and fasting blood glucose was 194. I was on metformin @750 mg, went on a low carb diet, lost 25 lbs and six months later I was taken off metformin, kept the weight off and although my diet is not as strict as when I was first diagnosed my average fasting glucose for the last three months is 100 and my last A1C reading two months ago was 5.4 both in the normal range.

I attribute the change to the weight loss, exercise (walk 2-3 miles a day) but most importantly I am much more relaxed since I've retired last June (actually the stress stopped when I gave notice last January). WebMD had an article yesterday about the relationships between jobs and type 2 diabetes.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Sounds like the OP has already been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and the medication is helping to keep the blood glucose levels down. I would think the type 2 classification would hold until the glucose levels were lowered without the use of medication (diet and exercise alone).
You are right, I read the post wrong. OP is taking meds now and that is keeping his levels at the reported values. Still advised to stay away from carbs and sugars in diet though. Sorry for the confusion, need to read more closely.....

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Fasting glucose at 110 isn't bad, but could be better. A1C is good. I've found an amazing amount of help at the Diabetes Daily forums, and one of the things they advocate the most is eating to your meter. Since post eating spikes of 250+ are the things that are most damaging to your body, most people try to keep their post eating numbers in a reasonable range. Test 1 and 2 hours after typical meals to find out if you're eating too many carbs.

Overall, it looks like the metformin is working pretty well for you right now. Diabetes is a progressive disease, and you'll likely need to increase it in the future, or add other medications. As Corporateburnout said, weight loss, increased exercise, and less stress can reduce your needs for medication. Some people don't want to take meds, either for side effects or other reasons, some people don't mind popping pills. It's all a balancing act to decide what the most important things to you are.

I was diagnosed 4 months ago at age 39, it has spurred me to increase my exercise, go low carb, and I've lost over 35 pounds so far.

If you want to enjoy your health, and have a long retirement, I highly suggest increasing your exercise and decreasing carbs, and the weight loss will happen on it's own.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
If you want to enjoy your health, and have a long retirement, I highly suggest increasing your exercise and decreasing carbs, and the weight loss will happen on it's own.
Cutting carbs alone triggered a significant weight loss for me without exercise. I exercise, but do it for reasons other than weight loss. I have found that I can't outrun excess calories.

Of course, we are all different and what works for one may not work for another. Do what you know works best.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am considered a pre-diabetic. I have to aviod starchy food like rice, bread and pasta. Even if I eat about 1/4 of of starchy carbs a normal person would eat, my BS can go up to about 170 within the 2 hour timeframe, although it will end up being in the normal range in 2-3 hours. If I stick to non-starchy veggies, it will not reach 120 within the 2 hour timeframe. Even if I had some fruit (one plum, one apple, etc) it will not go much past 120, but with 1/2 cup of rice or some small pieces of bread, it passes 150 line and depending upon the amount it may past 170 mark.

So basically I can eat anything I want as long as I avoid starchy food and some high sugar fruit like watermenlons, canteloupe, grapes, and such. I eat at least one fruit a way (a tub of blackberries, a plum, an apple, a peach) and that should be my treat. I fall off the wagon a lot, but only in small amounts. My goal is to keep the numbers below 140 at all times (and of course, below 100 for fasting.)

The best thing to do is get cheap test strips (TrueTest on ebay is the cheapest IMO.) and test after eating different foods and see what difference different foods make on the BS.

Good luck to you.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

I would recommend a LCHF type of diet. Limiting your carbs should help you lose weight as well as lower your AiC. I was diagnosed several years ago, and am able to keep my A1C 5.5-5.6, and I could even do better by lowering my carb intake some more.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
just started Pravastatin.. but the side effects of muscle pain/soreness are making me think about asking the Doc to evaluate the meds in my case.
That is wise. Question everything. Read copiously...
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/art-20046013
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I exercise, but do it for reasons other than weight loss. I have found that I can't outrun excess calories.
There has been a lot of advocating exercise in this thread. However, there is no evidence that exercise is helpful for the ailments within this conversation. While I agree that exercise (done properly -- probably not as advocated by the Health Club) is very (extremely, even) beneficial, it doesn't matter whether you do or don't for the purposes of this discussion.

There is that statement that "Calories don't count." It took me quite awhile to understand what that really meant. Calories, of course, count if they are the type that the body stores instead of uses (for example, carbohydrates). However, fat and protein calories are generally not stored but used immediately. Any excess (more than the body wants) is simply passed on through -- the more you eat the greater the "waste." The "Calories in, Calories out" is based upon the Laws of Thermodynamics but we all know our bodies are not a "closed system."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

I have tried a number of statins and cannot stand any of them... after a few weeks to a month, I will have horrible muscle cramps where I cannot even sleep... went off for awhile... repeated a couple of times to make sure it was the drugs...

Doc said to take CoQ10... tried it... increased the dose... nothing... I do not take any statins....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Excercise defininitly will help daily blood glucose and ultimately A1C values.
It helps sensitize tissue to insulin. The more you work out, the easier it is to control sugar levels.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
There has been a lot of advocating exercise in this thread. However, there is no evidence that exercise is helpful for the ailments within this conversation. While I agree that exercise (done properly -- probably not as advocated by the Health Club) is very (extremely, even) beneficial, it doesn't matter whether you do or don't for the purposes of this discussion.

There is that statement that "Calories don't count." It took me quite awhile to understand what that really meant. Calories, of course, count if they are the type that the body stores instead of uses (for example, carbohydrates). However, fat and protein calories are generally not stored but used immediately. Any excess (more than the body wants) is simply passed on through -- the more you eat the greater the "waste." The "Calories in, Calories out" is based upon the Laws of Thermodynamics but we all know our bodies are not a "closed system."
Sorry to disagree. Exercise is very important! Also, watch your carbs.
Read the labels on the packages. (It's carbs, not sugar that is important).
You should attend a diabetes class. Md should recommend. Usually free
and given all the time at major medical clinics.

Class will explain, carbs vs sugar. Protein, Fat, portion size, etc.

Again, EXERCISE !
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote