Join Early Retirement Today

Blown T12 verterbrae--surgery vs not
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blown T12 verterbrae--surgery vs not

Looking for perspective on life implications with having the lower thoracic vertebrae (T12)pretty much wiped out in a compression fracture.
Wife fell in shower and based on her xrays has suffer compression fracture of her T12. It is as yet unclear just how much vertical height has been lost. We understand anything over 50% indicates a need for surgery. Initial CAT scans seem to put the loss right at this threshold--so kinda a punt zone.
Docs did a MRI today but we have not gotten the results--doc was in surgery all afternoon.
Lead doc initial indications was surgery was not necessary and would have her in a brace for 90 days with therapy.
Today his colleague who was doing his rounds, expressed some skepticism. As a lay person looking at the bone loss on the CAT scan, it is difficult to see how bracing will provide sufficient healing to leave a stable, structurally resilient spine with what she has left.

Anyone with first hand experience with the tradeoffs on opting for surgery and bone grafts etc versus trying brace and therapy? Any coaching on key questions or data points to be sure we get covered by docs?
Many thanks
Nwsteve

t12
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

I had a compression fracture on my T12 about 13 years ago while falling from a tree 20ft height, landed on my butt. Did not have surgery and wear a brace for 6 weeks and only could remove it while laying in bed. My compression was 20% based on the MRI scanning. I do not have any pain in the T12 area, I do get pain on my lower back while mountain biking for long periods of time (2 hours or more). The procedure was successful in my case, the doctor said I was very lucky not to be in a wheelchair from the accident. No more tree climbing for me.
Joe24816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
gone traveling

No experience, but why not try the non-invasive therapy approach first, and if it doesn't work, opt for the surgery.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
No experience, but why not try the non-invasive therapy approach first, and if it doesn't work, opt for the surgery.
No experience with T- level. I have issues with C4-C5 & C6-C7. First neurosurgeon wanted to cut on me twice, but didn't know what surgery to do first. I remember one phrase he used that made up my mind, 'the surgery(s) could be successful, but you could be a quadriplegic'.

I chose PT as it was an option. Another 3 neurosurgeons all declined to perform surgery as 'they could do more harm than good'. They all would recommend a guy that would cut, if I insisted.

I've been living a full life without surgery(18 years). I agree, try the non invasive treatment first, you can opt for surgery later. I think T level surgery is much different than C level, but check out all your reasonable options. Don't be afraid to ask for second or third opinions, it's your right.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Always try conservative treatment first. Surgery often does not provide acceptable results from a patient's perspective but may be considered a success by the physician. Unless the threat of paralysis was imminent, I would not choose surgery.

L1 compression fracture with almost 50% loss of vertebral height. I've lived with it for 40+ years. Of course YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwest28 View Post
Surgery often does not provide acceptable results from a patient's perspective but may be considered a success by the physician
Regrettably this seems to apply to many classes of surgery.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Ouch!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Ouch!

First of all, my heart goes out to your wife. She is going to be in a great deal of pain initially.

I had an accident 6 years ago, and was diagnosed with a compressed L-1 vertebrae. I remember the Dr. telling me that I was "borderline" in terms of requiring surgery. He said "Come back when you can no longer stand the pain." I ended up spending 7 weeks in a body brace 24 hrs. a day, which was difficult to say the least.

Fast forward, I healed really well. Today I scuba dive, bicycle, do yoga, and help my DH rehab real estate. I was running until my knees decided that it wasn't a good idea.

When the Dr. dismissed me from his care, he said something along the lines of "You've had a good result. I have operated on people who were less injured than you."

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery...
KrissK is offline   Reply With Quote