Men <18 0 0%
Men <21 4 3.57%
Men <24 28 25.00%
Men < 27 25 22.32%
Men <30 8 7.14%
Men =>30 12 10.71%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 5'6" and have a large frame with long arms and legs.

I carry some extra weight around the middle. No complaints yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I am 5'6" and have a large frame with long arms and legs.

I carry some extra weight around the middle. No complaints yet.
I blame my two girls ("Real" and "Spectacular") for the percentage of my BMI that exceeds 25, and I think you can do the same
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
But what is "extra weight?" The BMI Table hits women who have a wide hip structure hard. But the "emaciated #### with 9 inch hips doing flamenco for foreigners" (a Monty Python routine!) would come out well. BMI is too simple of a metric in many instances.
In most instances I don't think it's too simple of a metric, personally--someone with 9 inch hips doing flamenco probably doesn't weigh much, does he (assuming as in all Monty Python skits the dancer is a man dressed up as a woman)?

But there is another tool called the "BAI" (body adiposity index, not blood alcohol index, although that might be interesting too --yeah, I know, it needs a separate poll about "what is your current blood alcohol index?") that is supposed to corelate more closely to fat percentage. It uses a hip to height ratio (but your 9-inch flamenco dancer will still be coming out well, I guess).
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I blame my two girls ("Real" and "Spectacular") for the percentage of my BMI that exceeds 25...
Hopefully, they are twins?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BMI = 21.1. My partner and I bought a house 3 miles from where I work in mid January. I've been walking to and from work now instead of driving ~40 miles each way. I also cut out most processed food and most grains (no wheat or bread) from my diet and added a lot of salmon. I dropped 20 pounds in 3 months and never went hungry.
I also switched jobs so I will now be on call once every 14 weeks instead of every other week (I did every other week on call for the last seven years!). I am so ready to spend my weekends backpacking and hiking.

Life is good.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

BMI 21.2, bottom 20th percentile for my age (and I am about top 2nd or 3rd percentile for height at 6'3). I think overweight probably hits around bottom 35th percentile (66% of the population is overweight or obese). My BMI was lower when I was growing up and exercising quite often, usually 18-19.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #47

BMI = 23.6. Would like to lower it to 21.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a BMI calculator that factors in your frame size:
A Healthy Body Weight For Men | LIVESTRONG.COM

"In 1964, Dr. George J. Hamwi published the Hamwi equation in a research article for the Journal of the American Diabetes Association. Since then, medical and health professionals have used the equation to determine proper body weight."

Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post

"In 1964, Dr. George J. Hamwi published the Hamwi equation in a research article for the Journal of the American Diabetes Association. Since then, medical and health professionals have used the equation to determine proper body weight."
I like this^^^^^^
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post

Interesting. I do better on this one. 4 lbs over ideal weight for a 6'4" male. A medium build but more muscular than average I think. Body fat under 20%
The mirror confirms this IMHO.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

That looks like a good calculator for men to use, Ha.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That looks like a good calculator for men to use, Ha.
Agree. I just measured my wrist with dental floss, and planned to lay it out against my steel tape, but that appears to be inches only. I don't think I have a tape measure.

Ha
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

BMI = 15.8. Would like to upper it to 18.
Evelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiosity, I looked up some actresses' and models BMIs for a reference.

Marilyn Monroe: 20
Twiggy: 15

According to CDC , in 1960 the mean BMI for US males (aged 20-74) was 25.1, and for US females it was 24.9.

In 2000, that number went up to 27.9 for men, and 28.2 for women.

Note how the women have gained ground with respect to men.

Reference: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote