Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I like Pavel's stuff - doing a modified power to the people routine right now, with 5, 3, 2 rep scheme. It goes:

Warm Up - 5 -10 minutes assorted exercises with 12k kettlebell
Deadlift - Warmup, then work sets of 5, 3, 2 reps
Overhead Press - Warmup, then work sets of 5, 3, 2 reps

Then to combat the impact sitting all day has on my life, I do 8 exercises over 10 minutes, changing every 75 seconds:

Two Hand Swing
Windmill
Cossack
Snatch
Lunge
Clean and Press
Overhead Squat
Renegade Row

I try to stretch every few nights and go for a walk when the weather is nice. If I didn't eat whatever I want, I'd probably be in great shape, lol.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think, like most people, I give more credence than merited to evidence that comports with my desires. My joints/ligaments have always been tight and I hate stretching them so I like the current research that poo-poohs stretching. I get bored with long weight workouts with multiple sets so I like Body by Science's 15 minute HIT workout. I like 30-40 mile bike rides so I will keep an eye out for findings that tell me that they are good for me and will continue do them regardless
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I had no idea there were so many weight lifters on this site. What I have learned over the past several years is to find what works for you and stick with it until it doesn't. As for me, I have done best lifting 3X/week and I mostly stick to compound lifts and have switched off between strength (5x5 heavy weights) and hyperthrophy (3X8-12). I came down with diabetes a few years ago, and getting into the gym has been a live saver, plus I found it was something I enjoy immensely. Wish I had discovered this years ago.
DFW, could you share a couple of sample workouts, and also do you do the 5x5 for a more or less set period, then switch for another set period?

Also, is there a book or DVD that taught you the lifts and workouts that you chose?

Thanks
Ha
Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My joints/ligaments have always been tight and I hate stretching them so I like the current research that poo-poohs stretching.
Mine too, to the extent that personally I have found that stretching has huge benefits for me. Stretching does more to relieve the "aches and pains of aging" than anything else I have ever tried, including Celebrex, an expensive mattress pad, Advil, and more. Apparently those tight tissues are more easily over-stretched, yanked, pulled and tweaked than they are for most people. Who knew? Not me, anyway. At last, after gentle and (working up to) moderate stretching I can sleep and live my life without much of anything hurting.

So I am absolutely OCD about spending ten minutes at the stretching station every time I go to the gym. That is the most valuable piece of equipment they have, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I get bored with long weight workouts with multiple sets
This is why we have podcasts and mp3 players. Also, it helps me to focus on my breathing too.

I used to hate 30-40 minute cardio workouts but my doctor says I need them, so I am doing them. I have a recumbent exercycle and put a TV in front of it. Boredom problem solved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I like the results in the book Amazon.com: Strength Training Past 50 - 2nd Edition (Ageless Athlete Series) (9780736067713): Wayne Westcott, Thomas R. Baechle: Books that show that 1 set is almost as good as 2, and 2x/week is almost as good as 3x/week.

I can do my entire workout in about 20 minutes if I'm in a rush. Usually takes 35 minutes.

BTW, I've given up on the slow lifting for now, it's just too torturous.
Attached Files
File Type: xls WeightLiftingRecordSheet.xls (9.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My joints/ligaments have always been tight and I hate stretching them so I like the current research that poo-poohs stretching.
Going back through my medical records over the decades, it's pretty clear that my years of aggressively stretching my ankle & knee ligaments contributed to the sprains & tears.

Now that I only stretch the muscles, the joints are much better.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
DFW, could you share a couple of sample workouts, and also do you do the 5x5 for a more or less set period, then switch for another set period?

Also, is there a book or DVD that taught you the lifts and workouts that you chose?

Thanks
Ha
Ha,

My current routine is as follows:

Monday (Delts/Bis/Tris/Calves)

Seated Dumbell Press 3X10 @ 55 lbs
Side Laterals 3x10 @ 15 lbs
Straight Bar Curl 3x10 @ 85 lbs or Cable Curls 3x10 @ 110 lbs
Seated Dumbell Incline Curl or Hammar Curls 3x10 @25 lbs
BB Close Grip Bench Press 3x10 @ 140 lbs
Cable Tricep Extensions 3x10 @ 115 lbs
Standing Calf Raise 3x15 @ 270 lbs

Wednesday (Back/Chest)

Barbell Bent Row 5x5 @ 175 lbs*
Chin-up/Pull-up 5x5 Body Weight
Partial Rep Deadlifts 5x5 @ 275 lbs*
BB Bench Press 5x5 @ 185 lbs*
Incline Dumbell Bench Press 3x10 @ 60 lbs
Push-ups 3x10

Saturday (Quads/Hams/Abs)

Icarian Machine Squats 5x5 @ 590 lbs*
Leg Extensions 3x10 @ 160 lbs
Semi-Stiff Leg Deadlifts 5x5 275 lbs*
Leg Curls 3X10 @ 160 lbs
Crunches 3x15

* these exercises get swapped for 3x8-12 ~ every 6 weeks, with at least one week before being a deload at 60-70% and higher reps. All exercises are run by completing all sets before moving to another exercise. I warn-up on an elliptical for 5 minutes and use rubber tubing to work rotator cuff before each session.

For my first year in the gym I had no idea what I was doing and no real plan (bounced around trying various machines), but now I'm in year three and have been on various programs (Chris Gethin, Will Brink's Full Body, and now modified Will Brink's 3 day split). I have learned a lot from the following sources: BodyBuilding.com; Mark Ripptoes Starting Strength, and Will Brinks ebook/forum (there was fee for this but well worth it). I have worked on trying to lift with good form as thats important to keep from getting hurt while increasing my lifts (I'm 5'10' & 189 lbs). The area I struggle with the most is nutrition (carb lover) and I think that's where 60% of the results for most body builders come from. When I came down with diabetes a few years ago, I felt like my energy and strength were withering away, but now I would say my age clock has been reset to 25 years ago strength wise via the gym and improved nutrition. I am still progressing on several of the lifts (bench press and deadlift) and hope to improve these dramatically by end of year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I too am heavily biased to the activities I prefer. Give me weights over cardio any day of the week. I need the cardio more, the ten minute complex at the end of each workout is my compromise.

With regards to stretching, I believe most people that sit all day will see huge benefits from improving mobility in their hips and upper back. When it comes to mobility, soft tissue quality is as important as flexbility. I really like the book "stretch to win" as a guide for doing this:

Amazon.com: Stretch to Win (9780736055291): Ann Frederick, Christopher Frederick: Books

DFW - You are stronger than most. Nice going! I PR'd at 290 on the deadlift about a month ago, am hoping to break 315 sometime this year, with 405 as a lifetime goal.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stick to bicep curls. Put a beer in my hand......
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
With regards to stretching, I believe most people that sit all day will see huge benefits from improving mobility in their hips and upper back. When it comes to mobility, soft tissue quality is as important as flexbility.
I do mobility exercises occasionally when I get a stiff neck or a lower back twinge. But they do not involve real stretching.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Ha,

My current routine is as follows:
Thanks DFW, that is very clearly laid out and exactly what I was hoping to learn. You are moving some very respectable weights! I was fairly strong, esp as to squats and deadlifts, but after a wreck 5 years ago I just walked, did rehab exercises, and some light weights. From this I have lost some strength and I hope to get at least some of it back.

Ha
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

I don't lift big weights like DFW_MS and the rest of you, but I just have to say I had such a great workout today. By sheer coincidence and also partly due to quick recovery from my hip/lumbar issues, it turned out that today I was ready to increase weight on 14 of my 18 weight machines and it went really smoothly and without a hitch.

I feel so young, and capable, and alive after a workout like that. Relatively speaking, of course! I feel SOOOOOOO good. Also I am riding my exercycle for cardio in the evenings, and finally achieved a goal there last night, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a great day at the gym!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #74

Since stretching was brought up, I thought I'd share something that is starting to become common knowledge in running circles.

It turns out that (for runners at least) stretching before you run is bad for you, but after a run it's fine. The best warmup for us is simple some gentle jogging.

The idea is that stretching before the run runs the risk of muscle tearing which leads to injuries.

Just a thought to keep in mind.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks DFW, that is very clearly laid out and exactly what I was hoping to learn. You are moving some very respectable weights! I was fairly strong, esp as to squats and deadlifts, but after a wreck 5 years ago I just walked, did rehab exercises, and some light weights. From this I have lost some strength and I hope to get at least some of it back.

Ha
Ha,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are able to get back at it. I believe most folks that have a history of weight lifting in their past do very well when restarting from a long layoff. The key is being consistent with your workouts (eg try not to miss a session) and to keep ratcheting up your lifts over time. Its not a race, so don't try to do too much, too soon. One other piece of advise, don't get hung up comparing yourself to what others do, your only benchmark needs to be yourself.

I was a couch potato for many years with no meaningful history in lifting weights and have achieved much improved strength/fitness and you will as well.

The Best,

DFW M5
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Three month report
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Three month report

Three months in and I am pretty happy with the HIT workout. I have stayed with 1 set a week, 5 core exercises. I push it to the max I can although sometimes I think my body fools me into thinking I am done when I could push a tiny bit further if I had more discipline. In any event, muscle tone and definition is better than when I did three sessions a week. I quit chocolate about midway into this and lost about 10 pounds as a result -- is that a two pack I'm seeing? I continue to supplement the weekly weight session with bike riding (stationary when the weather sucks) several times a week.

I am happier with this simpleton approach than with "Younger Next Year's," ascetic 'work out hard, six days a week for the rest of your life' regimen. But then I have never liked exercising.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I think being active every day is a good idea, but I need more recovery time than working out hard more than 2-3 days a week allows.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Ha-I just came from the SE Asia thread and I read this thread title as "Younger next door".

Sounds good!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the report, Don. Could you list the exact exercises you do along with the total time it takes?

I wish I could know for sure exactly what the best approach is.

Ha, I think I saw the movie "The younger Asian girl next door.". Is that what you were thinking of?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am happier with this simpleton approach than with "Younger Next Year's," ascetic 'work out hard, six days a week for the rest of your life' regimen. But then I have never liked exercising.
I agree.

2-3 days of surfing a week, 3x/week with spouse in the weight room, and I don't have anything left for taekwondo-- let alone yardwork.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote