Book Rec: Being Mortal

My take is: Enjoy your life today. Once the game is over, it's over, no matter what the doctor prescribes. All the doctor can do is try go ameliorate the pain and maybe get you a few extra days.

I find it fascinating that many people will state that when they get to a certain age or stage of an ailment that they "just want to end it" in some fashion. However when the time comes most cling to life not matter how painful and cumbersome. Understanding that even if you live in a state with assisted suicide it is rarely used...

Very few seek an active means to end their life. More common is to refuse non-productive treatments, and to wait for nature to run its course while receiving palliative care.

After my recent move, I find myself with a fairly long drive on my commute and am chewing through audiobooks and podcasts.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've already added it to my audible wishlist.

I bought the book months prior to my DW’s stage 3C NSCLC Dx. Was an eye opener knowing what medical science can do to keep you alive. So many real life testimonies. She’s doing better btw. 33 radiation treatments and 11 chemo treatments down; should begin immunotherapy after first of the year.

A little good news is always welcome. Especially so this time of year.

Best,
rb

Years ago I was part of a small faith community. An active couple, elderly, were part of this community. The wife had 8 children. She was bright and talkative. She told of her allergy to nuts and how she avoided them her whole life, reading food ingredients carefully etc. She had a stroke later on, after we moved away. A friend told me she ate a peanut butter cookie. Someone close said she thought it was a sugar cookie. She passed while waiting for the ambulance. I often wonder if she knew it was a peanut butter cookie.

Back
Top Bottom