Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2022, 05:31 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boomer Benefits did a great job with me. But I believe you must do much of your own research as it is a decision you will live with for many years. I explored many options and bounced a bunch of questions off of Boomer Benefits and insurance companies I was considering. You are only going to get so much of any broker's time.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
For traditional supplements the issue of which company to choose be difficult. In most states you are stuck with the original supplement insurer that you choose if you cannot pass underwriting. So at age 65 you are making a choice that you may have to live with for 20-25 years. DH and I did the research and got expert advice and we thought we made the right choice. But we found out in a couple of years it was a bad choice (Mutual of Omaha closed its books). I was able to change to AARP/UHC but DH could not pass underwriting and is now stuck with a very expensive supplement. Watch out in choosing your company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Boomer Benefits did a great job with me. But I believe you must do much of your own research as it is a decision you will live with for many years. I explored many options and bounced a bunch of questions off of Boomer Benefits and insurance companies I was considering. You are only going to get so much of any broker's time.

Read the first post... very important IMO... I know that my decision is likely to be stuck... so I need real professional advice with an agent...

Both agents spent very little time with me... got my info and told me what the rates were... when I went back to one inquiring about AARP at a price that was less than what they gave me I got a response that I was not their kind of customer...

Both wanted me to sign with Accendo... I can find very little about them but they just got into medicare supplements... I would like to have someone with more years of info so I know they are not pricing low to get customers and will have larger increases in the future...

Both gave me a higher rate for AARP than I was able to get signing up by myself... it is not a lot but over $8 per month... one said they would NOT work with AARP...

After all this I see very little benefit in either agency if you do your own research and can make a decision. I saved money and did what both have in videos, choose the lower cost that will not have high rate increases.

NOW, if you want to change plans and will have to go through underwriting... I would go with one of these firms... I do not think I would want to do that on my own..
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are a lot of positive reviews for Boomer Benefits. I cannot argue that. I sometimes feel that those come from people who do not want to dig into the various Medicare Supplement plans, the providers, how their prices change as one ages and how they have historically operated. One doesn't pay extra for signing up thru an agent. BB as well as other agents are paid by the Supplement companies. The old adage holds in this arena, if you aren't paying for the product (service) you are the product. For some people, possibly many, BB provides a perfectly adequate service. Never think that BB or any agent for that matter is giving you the whole picture or all of the available options.

Some states allow changing plans and companies without underwriting. For those living in one of those states, the decision is not as binding as the majority of us.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
There are a lot of positive reviews for Boomer Benefits. I cannot argue that. I sometimes feel that those come from people who do not want to dig into the various Medicare Supplement plans, the providers, how their prices change as one ages and how they have historically operated. One doesn't pay extra for signing up thru an agent. BB as well as other agents are paid by the Supplement companies. The old adage holds in this arena, if you aren't paying for the product (service) you are the product. For some people, possibly many, BB provides a perfectly adequate service. Never think that BB or any agent for that matter is giving you the whole picture or all of the available options.

Some states allow changing plans and companies without underwriting. For those living in one of those states, the decision is not as binding as the majority of us.

Agree with this... there are a lot of people who will get good service from either of these firms... and if everything was equal I would probably be with one of them...

I was going to go with Senior Savers so I would have an agent on my side but the rate I was quoted from UHC was less... they said they did not write UHC policies and did not want to figure out why the rate was different... so in reality the rates might not be the same as mine was not.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did you try MedicareNationwide.com ?
teej1985 is online now   Reply With Quote