Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #141
gone traveling

More info on vit D's role in fighting viral infections:
https://newsrescue.com/vitamin-ds-ro...4RDo1Zs7M3b1NI
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
More info on vit D's role in fighting viral infections:
https://newsrescue.com/vitamin-ds-ro...4RDo1Zs7M3b1NI
I think I saw that posted elsewhere here, with the main response being anyone 60+ has issues absorbing Vitamin D, whether by food, supplements, or sunlight.

I was disappointed to hear that considering all of the hours spent in the front yard the past three weeks (mostly south-facing). Oh well.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I think I saw that posted elsewhere here, with the main response being anyone 60+ has issues absorbing Vitamin D, whether by food, supplements, or sunlight.

I was disappointed to hear that considering all of the hours spent in the front yard the past three weeks (mostly south-facing). Oh well.
Blood levels of vitamin D can be monitored. Then you’ll know if you are high enough.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #144
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post

I am the OP and do not recall seeing this particular link posted, but one of my main points is that as we age our ability to absorb nutrients from food diminishes, let alone assuming one is getting all the vitamins and minerals from their diets. Anyway, vit D is one of those that can diminish with age, and also shows some evidence of anti-viral benefit.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:46 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Zinc in the news -

"The antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine has shown mixed results against the coronavirus in early studies, but a new paper out of New York suggests combining it with the dietary supplement zinc sulfate could create a more effective treatment.....Rahimian said that it may be that when used to treat coronavirus patients, it is the zinc that does the heavy lifting and is the primary substance attacking the pathogen....Hydroxychloroquine, on the other hand, acts as an agent that transports the zinc into cells, increasing its efficacy, he suggested."

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/zinc-hydroxyc...215732283.html
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Zinc in the news -

"The antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine has shown mixed results against the coronavirus in early studies, but a new paper out of New York suggests combining it with the dietary supplement zinc sulfate could create a more effective treatment.....Rahimian said that it may be that when used to treat coronavirus patients, it is the zinc that does the heavy lifting and is the primary substance attacking the pathogen....Hydroxychloroquine, on the other hand, acts as an agent that transports the zinc into cells, increasing its efficacy, he suggested."

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/zinc-hydroxyc...215732283.html
This MedCram video explains how hydro chloroquine works with Zinc. This video was published 2 months ago.

https://youtu.be/U7F1cnWup9M
Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #147
gone traveling

Here is some good overall info on Covid19, and if you go down to section 8, it shows some alternative ways to address early on symptoms from respiratory infections that may be worth trying:https://www.lifeextension.com/protoc...immune-support
Old 05-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #148

^That's a good all encompassing article. LEF (the publication) was recommended to me by a doctor or I wouldn't have given them much credence (since they hawk supplements). But the doc said to use the references to the papers and discount the pitch.

I would like to see more of a distinction between the early treatment, mid disease, and oh crap, I'm gonna die phases when it comes to drug and other therapies. You really wanted an overcharged immune response early (actually before) virus gets in you. That's innate immune response. Later, with the cytokine storm, your immune response is "bad". The two are very different. The article lacked mention of vWBF and ideas to break that down, but overall, hit the most important points and not too many distractions.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #149
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
^That's a good all encompassing article. LEF (the publication) was recommended to me by a doctor or I wouldn't have given them much credence (since they hawk supplements). But the doc said to use the references to the papers and discount the pitch.

One of the best and most reputable sources for high quality supplements.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #150

There is growing evidence that you need adequate selenium in your system to help defend against viral attacks, including COVID-19. Here is a section I copied from an article I was reading yesterday, summarizing some of the evidence from studies over the years:

The following details the chronology of referenced work linking selenium to virus occurrence and virulence, including immune function

1970s Selenium supplementation shown to be effective on several thousands of people in China in controlling the often fatal Keshan disease.

By 1984 It was accepted that selenium deficiency predisposes people to viral attack, possibly by impairing the immune function.

By 1987 High risk of HIV-related mortality is associated with selenium deficiency in the USA.

By 1989 Incidence of infectious hepatitis in several thousands in intervention studies in China reduced by supplementation with selenium supplied in salt.

By 2001 Influenza A strain (H3N2) was more virulent in mice raised on a selenium deficient diet.

By 2001 Both Coxsackievirus B1 and an Echovirus 9 caused most heart damage in selenium deficient mice.

By 2002 An increase in selenium intake improves immune function and clearance of poliovirus in adults with marginal selenium status in England.

2020, April Claim that the only people that can be infected by the Covid-19 coronavirus have less than 98.7 µg/L of Selenium in plasma or serum.

2020, April Selenium status was linked to the occurrence of Covid-19 in China; the better the selenium intake and status the less disease
__________________________________________________ ______________
If you don't like taking supplements, you can get adequate selenium by just eating about 3-4 brazil nuts daily.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Vitamin C
Vitamin B Complex
Black Elderberry
ACTIVE HEXOSE CORRELATED COMPOUND (AHCC)

AHCC Research
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart
I can just hear it now...
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #152
gone traveling

Anyone read of a recommended dose for Selenium for this sort of purpose?

The LEF list has changed a bit from the one they had during SARS.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #153
gone traveling

I'd like to know exactly what parts of the immune function chain of events are "boosted" by each suggested supplement. Even the below is vague:

>
1-3, 1-6 Beta Glucans: Research has shown that these compounds up-regulate the function of the innate immune system. This part of your immune system is the first line of defense against viruses and bacteria. It helps your white blood cells bind to and kill viruses and bacteria.

Note: Patients with autoimmune diseases should not take this.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
Anyone read of a recommended dose for Selenium for this sort of purpose?

The RDA for selenium is 55 mcg. You can supposedly take up to 200 mcg daily in supplement form without any adverse effects. I usually try to get my selenium through food, however. Three or four brazil nuts is enough. Other foods high in selenium include sardines, eggs, and garlic.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:38 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Interesting research article from Pubmed on boosting immunity for viral infections, including COVID19:

"For a viral disease like COVID-19, where no pharmacological strategies for prevention or treatment are presently available and the exact time of the ending of the alarming situation is unknown, nutritional strategies for enhancing immunity is something to be explored. In addition to treating malnutrition and weight reduction in obese healthy subjects, in this review we have highlighted the potential preventive and therapeutic application of few vitamins, trace elements, several nutraceuticals and probiotics. In the current global context with limited movements, it is difficult to obtain a balanced and varied diet. Therefore, achieving recommended amounts of calories and micronutrient will be a challenge. Selective micronutrient supplementations may be beneficial especially for vulnerable populations such as the elderly."

There is a summary of the recommendations in Table 5.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161532/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-03-2020, 01:56 AM   #156

Quote:
Interesting research article from Pubmed on boosting immunity for viral infections, including COVID19:

"For a viral disease like COVID-19, where no pharmacological strategies for prevention or treatment are presently available and the exact time of the ending of the alarming situation is unknown, nutritional strategies for enhancing immunity is something to be explored. In addition to treating malnutrition and weight reduction in obese healthy subjects, in this review we have highlighted the potential preventive and therapeutic application of few vitamins, trace elements, several nutraceuticals and probiotics. In the current global context with limited movements, it is difficult to obtain a balanced and varied diet. Therefore, achieving recommended amounts of calories and micronutrient will be a challenge. Selective micronutrient supplementations may be beneficial especially for vulnerable populations such as the elderly."

There is a summary of the recommendations in Table 5.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161532/
Interesting article.

I see so many varied recommendations for Vit D that I'm never sure how much to take. Here it says 5000iu/day.

"In regards to the global vitamin D deficiency especially in the population of the northern hemisphere during the winter, supplementation of vitamin D (5000IU/daily) may be effective for both high risk e.g. diabetes and obese individuals, and self-quarantined individuals [97]. Toxicity of vitamin D is rare and modestly high doses (2000–5000 IU/daily) can be taken for years*"
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Interesting article.

I see so many varied recommendations for Vit D that I'm never sure how much to take. Here it says 5000iu/day.

"In regards to the global vitamin D deficiency especially in the population of the northern hemisphere during the winter, supplementation of vitamin D (5000IU/daily) may be effective for both high risk e.g. diabetes and obese individuals, and self-quarantined individuals [97]. Toxicity of vitamin D is rare and modestly high doses (2000–5000 IU/daily) can be taken for years*"
I am not really sure either. Before I read this paper, I was outside for 30 - 60 minutes a day and taking 400 IU in pill form based on this article -

""In England, Scotland and Wales, public health bodies have revised recommendations since the COVID-19 outbreak. Recommendations now state that all adults should take at least 400 IU vitamin D daily. Whereas there are currently no results from randomised controlled trials to conclusively prove that vitamin D beneficially affects COVID-19 outcomes, there is strong circumstantial evidence of associations between vitamin D and the severity of COVID-19 responses, including death."

COVID19 is linked to blood clots and the immunity article mentioned sufficient vitamins D + E, which both thin the blood.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #158
gone traveling

The government dosage recommendations never keep up with actual practice. For example, the official Tolerable Upper Limit for Vit. C is only 2g/day. Of course, many people take 5-10g/day.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #159

Quote:
I am not really sure either. Before I read this paper, I was outside for 30 - 60 minutes a day and taking 400 IU in pill form based on this article -

""In England, Scotland and Wales, public health bodies have revised recommendations since the COVID-19 outbreak. Recommendations now state that all adults should take at least 400 IU vitamin D daily. Whereas there are currently no results from randomised controlled trials to conclusively prove that vitamin D beneficially affects COVID-19 outcomes, there is strong circumstantial evidence of associations between vitamin D and the severity of COVID-19 responses, including death."

COVID19 is linked to blood clots and the immunity article mentioned sufficient vitamins D + E, which both thin the blood.
You really need to have the Vitamin D blood test (25-hydroxy-Vit. D) done to see what your blood level of Vit. D is, before deciding what dosage of Vit. D supplement to take. Most articles I have read say that it's best to aim for a Vit. D blood level of somewhere between 40-60 ng/mL. So, if you check your blood level and find it is far below 40, it's probably good to take a higher daily dose (like 5000 IU) for a while, and then re-do the blood test, to see if that raised your blood level, and how much. That's what DW and I both do. We have found over the years that DW needs to take a daily dose of about 5000 IU for most of the year to keep her blood level around 60. For me, I basically only need to take a 5000IU daily dose during the winter months to keep mine around 60, so I only take it sporadically during the summer.

There is some controversy about what blood level of Vit. D is optimum. You will read some articles saying 30 ng/mL is adequate, and other articles saying it's best to be at 70 ng/mL. But the consensus seems to be that around 40-60 is the range to be in.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #160
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on the comments that discuss sleep promoting immunity; not that I'm following it. Not sure how accurate these things I've watched and read about all these health benefits of getting a good night's sleep regularly. But I'm so looking forward to retirement to stop needing to do these all-nighters and hopefully be healthier for it.