Join Early Retirement Today

Boosting Immunity
Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
gone traveling

Boosting Immunity

Is anybody doing anything different to boost their immunity to virus/colds, etc. For example, there are recommendations to take vitamin D and multi-vitamins, which I take daily anyway. I have also heard to take zinc, selenium and to increase vitamin C when feeling ill.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gin and tonic for the quinine and vitamin C.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sterilized 4 racks of ribs and a couple of chunks of pastrami in the smoker yesterday.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

Can't boost immunity against this. We've never seen anything like it before. Our bodies have no antibodies to fight it. That's why it's nothing like the flu.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/h...ng-people.html

"But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #5

Back in 1979 or 1980 I was living somewhere where there was a hepatitis "A" outbreak. They rounded everybody up and gave us all a shot of gammaglobulin. They told us it wasn't a cure but in case we had already contracted the disease the shot would bolster our immune system to help fight it.

Is this not relevant here? Simply boosting one's immune system should have some positive effect I would think. PS I am not a doctor, chemist, or even a hypochondriac
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nothing that I have not already been doing. Vitamins. Exercising to stay fit. Watching what I eat. Washing hands and noticing and avoiding unclean situations. Not being a "hugger". Mingling with people only when necessary.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Can't boost immunity against this. We've never seen anything like it before. Our bodies have no antibodies to fight it. That's why it's nothing like the flu.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/h...ng-people.html

"But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported."
Of course no one has antibodies to fight this, however, if your individual immunity system is strengthened it might help one recover from this or any other things in a faster manner.

Edit: I found this article. There are some suggestions in Dr Hyman's article toward the bottom on what one might do to improve their immune system -https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/03/17/protect-yourself-from-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR18e_-8tJl81gW3jFElWt0gXbf_fBJYwsSTB5_c5JX7jUftN1-k-UqrdPQ
Old 03-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Of course no one has antibodies to fight this, however, if your individual immunity system is strengthened it might help one recover from this or any other things in a faster manner.

Edit: I found this article. There are some suggestions in Dr Hyman's article toward the bottom on what one might do to improve their immune system -https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/03/17/protect-yourself-from-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR18e_-8tJl81gW3jFElWt0gXbf_fBJYwsSTB5_c5JX7jUftN1-k-UqrdPQ
I stand corrected. I'm not sure if people who've successfully fought the virus already had the protective cells or immune system or if you can build the protection on your own.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51921403

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and I have started taking Elderberry Syrup. Not sure it will be effective against CoVid-19, but figure it can't hurt. Studies seem to show it effective against the flu and H1N1, with efficacy appearing comparable to Tamiflu. Like I said, I don't think it can hurt.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My biggest strategy is don't stay up later than usual and get enough zzzzz's .
Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
My DW and I have started taking Elderberry Syrup. Not sure it will be effective against CoVid-19, but figure it can't hurt. Studies seem to show it effective against the flu and H1N1, with efficacy appearing comparable to Tamiflu. Like I said, I don't think it can hurt.
link to those studies, please? "seemed to show"?

I actually have a half-liter of elder-flower (maybe different from elderberry?) concentrate from IKEA.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
link to those studies, please? "seemed to show"?

I actually have a half-liter of elder-flower (maybe different from elderberry?) concentrate from IKEA.

-ERD50
Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19682714
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19682714
Thanks. Interesting.

That looks very preliminary, I think it refers to petri-dish type experiments (but that's how things start I guess)? I did a bit more searching based on that, and I found these two links, which mentions other human double-blind-placebo studies (I think one has the studies listed):

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...and-flu-remedy

Complementary and Alternative Medicine - Penn State Hershey Medical Center - Elderberry - Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Quote:
Elderberry may help treat cold and flu symptoms by reducing congestion and possibly making you sweat more. One study suggested that using a standardized elderberry extract, Sambucol, could shorten the duration of flu by about 3 days. Sambucol contains other herbs plus vitamin C, so no one knows whether elderberry by itself would have the same effect.

Another preliminary study found that a lozenge with elderberry extract (ViraBLOC) helped reduce flu symptoms when taken within 24 hours of symptoms starting. In the lab, one study suggested that elderberry could kill the H1N1 virus ("swine flu") in test tubes, but researchers do not know whether it would be effective against H1N1 in people.
Not sure my Elderflower syrup would contain any of the active ingredients anyhow. I actually bought it with the idea of trying to make a cocktail with it. It won't go to waste

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
gone traveling

My DW brought home a bottle of 5000mg Vitamin D gel caps (highest dosage OTC) for her low D level. We are both taking it now due to my reduced immunity, and lack of sunshine in NW Ohio this time of the year.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Taking my usual extra strength Vitamin C and Airborne daily.
I have Zicam, Zicam with elderberry, and sambucol syrup to take if anyone here develops colds or cold symptoms. But I have had those on hand for several years, so nothing new.
This year I did restock on homeopathic Oscillococcinum for flu treatment.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
My DW brought home a bottle of 5000mg Vitamin D gel caps (highest dosage OTC) for her low D level. We are both taking it now due to my reduced immunity, and lack of sunshine in NW Ohio this time of the year.
I assume you mean 5,000 IU. Note that 4,000 IU is considered the upper safe limit - Vitamin D is toxic in high doses - so don't take two of those. The dose makes the poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_D

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #17
gone traveling

Back in 1918, spanish flu suffers were placed outdoors and in the sunshine to recuperate. Not sure if that is where the vitamin D suggestion originated or thru some other studies.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
I am skeptical, but if you're already getting enough sleep, managing stress, eating healthy, and exercising, you're right, it can't hurt. And it's tasty! When I visited a friend last year they gave me some, and it reminds me a lot of glögg, basically mulled red wine.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Biggest step: we do not leave the home as much.
Just me: I am doing almost zero-carb diet and intermittent fasting for losing weight--any other benefits will be welcomed. Trying to get 9 hours of sleep or more a night.

For other reasons, I have added K2+D3 supplements (prophylactic for my prostate--a good friend just died of prostate cancer and it spooked me) to my normal vitamin supplements. Taking vitamin C as well, thanks to Linus Pauling.

We normally wash our hands often. DW has razzed me because I have been buying little bottles of hand cleaner which I carry with me. She doesn't like the alcohol desiccating her hands. No flack lately.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stopped taking Sambucol elderberry syrup after reading this.

https://terrywahls.com/coronavirus-w...Ppk74_CKMlW2AI

Quote:
Elderberry syrup has been shown to be helpful against the influenza virus. However, for COVID-19 elderberry syrup may increase the risk of cytokine storm and more severe reaction. For that reason, I would NOT use elderberry syrup at this time.
I'm now taking Zinc lozenges with a small amount of Vit C, Vit E, echinacea and some other miscellaneous ingredients such as ginger, camomille, etc.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote