Booze

When the meteor hits, it won't matter how many drinks you had. "A team of Ukrainian astronomers have discovered a massive asteroid, 2013 TV135, that’s on track to hit earth Aug. 26, 2032, Russian news agency Ria Novosti reports. The discovery was confirmed by five other astronomy groups in Italy, the U.K., Spain and Russia’s Siberian republic of Buryatia. Scientists Discover Giant Asteroid That Could Hit Earth in 2032 | TIME.com

2032? I think I can increase the ol' WR a bit...

I don't drink because:

1.) Alcoholism in the family ...
I have a son and a son-in-law whose drinking did huge damage to their own lives and the lives of those around them. It wasn't the only problem for either of them, but alcohol turned what should have been merely difficult situations into disasters.

I'd say more, but privacy ....

So, even though nothing tastes as good as a beer on a hot day, I just don't want it around the house.

I am reminded of the joke about the old guy in for a checkup looking pretty bad, and the doctor says: Remember those extra days you got from not drinking? These are them!

IIRC, prohibition was a boon to organized crime that made a fortune selling illegal booze. Not so good.

True confession time: my grandmother made wine in her cellar for friends and family during prohibition.

It was legal to make your own personal wine during prohibition - that’s what Chateau Ste Michelle told me recently.

My father, who had 12 MIs & 3 strokes but died at 90, had 4 Oz red wine every day (for iron). Totally believed that it was good for him.

We're supposed to have this sickening sweet red wine every Shabbat (Friday evening). I prefer tawny port or just grape juice

Last edited:
*** 1.) Alcoholism in the family ***

dear old granddad was the pin-up boy for drinking ( in our family )

he drank his way through Europe in 1915 starting right from arriving at the boat drunk heading into WW1 , army records show he had a marvelous adventure in France , promoted 5 times demoted 5 times injured/wounded several times and in the brig ( for drunkenness ) for even more time than in hospital for his wounds .

in fact he had so much fun he did it all again in WW2 ( right from arriving drunk at embarkation )

meanwhile i have only ever been drunk once ( a bottle of Bourbon in two swigs about 30 seconds apart ) i learned a valuable lesson from that DON'T DRINK ON AN EMPTY STOMACH i quickly switched to Mescal .

now days i am on 10mg of Bicor (Bisoprolol ) which affects me like two bottles of scotch a day ( try share trading smashed !! ) but at $4.60 a month ( courtesy of the health-care subsidies ).

now after a history of binge drinking the riotous moment is the current medications are starting to effect the liver and kidneys .... ( NOT the previous epic drinking bouts )

PS i am super-slim and seemingly the destroyer of all the health-care guidelines you have over heard ( including excessive sugar consumption )

I don't drink because:

1.) Alcoholism in the family
2.) Overweight and it makes me gain weight
3.) I don't like the taste
4.) It's expensive
5.) I prefer being fully aware through my thoughts and mental processes, instead of being so drunk or high that I can't even think rationally.

1) check - one reason I quit drinking 18 months ago
2) check - however, I gained a few pounds after I quit drinking :facepalm:
3) d00d
4) my club bill has decreased exponentially
5) check

Glad I'm not the only one who has a family history of speakeasies. :)

My Grandfather ran a tavern. When prohibition hit, it was converted to a grocery store. Of course, part of the old Tavern was closed off for "storage." You can imagine why.

After prohibition, the store rapidly converted back to a tavern. The storage area remained. Apparently for gambling! (Family stories are a bit hazy.)

The one memory my dad had as a small child was men with guns confronting his father. As best as dad can tell (he was only about 7 or 8), it was for "protection." I.e., you buy some of our product, and you won't get hassled. This was Chicago, after all.

My family history shows no indication any of them got involved in brewing, distilling, smuggling, running or selling booze. They were far too busy consuming it.

My mother-in-law was the oldest of 7, their father passed away when she was a teenager, so she left school to support the family - by running a still and selling bootleg liquor. She did well enough to help the youngest 4 siblings graduate high school.

I have been a regular drinker for as long as can remember. At least a few beers/drinks every night (with a nightly Maker’s nightcap) and even more on the weekends (at least when weekends were important in my working years). But, starting about ten weeks ago, I cut back on drinking to one or two nights a week, mainly in an attempt to to lose some of the extra weight I’d accumulated over the past few years. Along with some major changes in diet, I’ve dropped about 25 lbs. I’m targeting about 15 more. Once I get down to my target weight, I’ll add back some more regular alcohol use, but I doubt that I’ll go back to nightly drinking. I was kinda amazed at how easily the pounds came off with the changes in diet and drinking.

Last edited:
For those who may be concerned about their alcohol intake, I recommend my personal system.

I rigidly restrict myself to only one glass of beer per day.

I can fill it as often as I like, of course, but just the one glass.
:cool:

I read it is getting to be a real problem for older people. They use it because they are lonely or bored. We enjoy drinking but recently decided it was probably not good to have a few glasses of wine every night so quit. Still remains to be seen if I will still drink occasionally. Never drank at all when I was raising the kids.

We enjoy drinking but recently decided it was probably not good to have a few glasses of wine every night so quit.

There a lot of distance between "a few glasses of wine every night" and "quit." I wonder why you felt you needed to take such a drastic step?

By "a few glasses of wine," I'm taking that to mean 3, 4, 5 or more glasses nightly or, between the two of you, consuming 1 - 2 bottles nightly. That is quite a bit. Did you consider just dropping back to a single glass of quality wine with dinner or something along those lines?

I cut back my consumption of all fermented beverages about a year ago as an aid to losing weight. (Down 60 libs so far!) The beverages themselves contained a lot of calories and if I had more than a couple glasses of wine, my appetite really kicked up while my will power diminished. But I've found that a light beer on a hot afternoon after doing some chores in the yard followed by a single glass of quality wine with dinner seems to fit into my overall dietary plans.

Moderation.........

Talked to my mum. Turns out my great gran had a brother who owned a cargo ship. Powered by sails back then. He used to bring booze to the villages in the fjords from the city of Bergen (Norway). Was never caught. :rolleyes:

Talked to my mum. Turns out my great gran had a brother who owned a cargo ship. Powered by sails back then. He used to bring booze to the villages in the fjords from the city of Bergen (Norway). Was never caught. :rolleyes:

I suspect he was never caught because he was never chased. :D

Just like in this country, many bootleggers who were brought to trial were never convicted because the jurors didn't agree with the law. That eventually led to the demise of Prohibition.

Back
Top Bottom