Join Early Retirement Today

Booze
Old 08-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Booze

IMHO the worst, ego driven, self aggrandizing study on what must be a desperate attempt for recognition.

Quote:
No level of alcohol consumption improves health
http://time.com/5376552/how-much-alc...o-drink-study/... and this is a "moderate" analysis... not so for other media.

If you don't think this is BIG... just Google this:

no amount of alcohol is safe
and see how many news media sites pop up....

Use your imagination to see the kinds of headlines this has produced in all of the "news" media. In every newspaper and website... the ultimate "scare". BTW... despite the extreme forces working for prohibition...

For everyone who understands percentages...
Quote:
Compared to non-drinkers, people who had one alcoholic beverage per day had a 0.5% higher risk of developing one of 23 alcohol-related health problems, including cancer, road injuries and tuberculosis, in a given year, the study says. At that level, the absolute increase is small, equaling only four additional deaths per 100,000 people per year, according to the study
I'll be looking for the expose that details the effect of sub-atomic particles on the synapses between the axons and dendrites of the brain when the ambient outside temperature is 30 degrees Centigrade @57% relative humidity.

My opinion only...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I need a good stiff drink after trying to digest all of that!
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alcohol is bad and cannibis is good for me. Who knew?

https://www.investors.com/news/marij...nada-earnings/

The list of marijuana stocks to watch expanded further as*Molson Coors'*(TAP) Canadian business unit said it plans to offer nonalcoholic marijuana drinks via a joint venture in an attempt to satisfy the nation's "evolving drinking preferences."
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Alcohol is bad and cannibis is good for me. Who knew?

https://www.investors.com/news/marij...nada-earnings/

The list of marijuana stocks to watch expanded further as*Molson Coors'*(TAP) Canadian business unit said it plans to offer nonalcoholic marijuana drinks via a joint venture in an attempt to satisfy the nation's "evolving drinking preferences."
A joint venture, hmmmmm !
Old 08-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It does improve happiness for some. That is important.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Compared to non-drinkers, people who had one alcoholic beverage per day had a 0.5% higher risk of developing one of 23 alcohol-related health problems, including cancer, road injuries and tuberculosis, in a given year, the study says.
I'm sipping a good Bloody Mary right now.... I'll take the 0.5% chance... just call me a risk-taker.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

What happened to a glass of wine is good for you? Can't keep up.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
What happened to a glass of wine is good for you? Can't keep up.

Have a few and fuggedaboutit.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I read the articles and I do believe that no alcohol is statistically healthier for us (plus there was a lot of skepticism reported by the researchers about people who say they have only one drink a day--probably like law enforcement hears I only had two beers when they pull someone over). In the same vein, never riding in a car is healthier for us too (fatal auto accidents are almost always linked to riding in cars). Pick your poison, no one gets out alive anyway.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

look at the religions that prohibit drinking. I don't see those people living longer than the drinkers.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
gone traveling

Why improve health? Just drives up medical costs & Social Security expenses long-term. We need less health to reduce societal costs.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

When the meteor hits, it won't matter how many drinks you had. "A team of Ukrainian astronomers have discovered a massive asteroid, 2013 TV135, that’s on track to hit earth Aug. 26, 2032, Russian news agency Ria Novosti reports. The discovery was confirmed by five other astronomy groups in Italy, the U.K., Spain and Russia’s Siberian republic of Buryatia. Scientists Discover Giant Asteroid That Could Hit Earth in 2032 | TIME.com

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting analysis of the actual study and how things were misrepresented.

The most misleading things is the use of relative percentages. For example, if you have a 2 in 100 chance of tripping and falling while you climb Mt. Sorefoot today, but you have a 3 in 100 chance if you had one glass of champagne with breakfast, they would claim your chances of falling are 50% greater because of your glass of champagne. But, in absolute terms your chance of falling only went up 1%. But the 50% figure sure makes for a better headline!

Like many have said - There is a lot of bad science in the field of human health.

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/the-...n-2ae8cb006a4a

emphasis added

Quote:
In this case, compared to non-drinkers an extra 63 (977–914) in 100,000 people experience a health problem each year. That means, to experience one extra problem, 1,600 people need to drink 20g alcohol a day for a year, in which case we would expect 16 instead of 15 problems between them. That’s 7.3 kg a year each, equivalent to around 32 bottles of gin per person. So a total of 50,000 bottles of gin among these 1,600 people is associated with one extra health problem. Which still indicates a very low level of harm in drinkers drinking just more than the UK guidelines.
And here is another reason to take the report with another glass of wine.

Quote:
But the major difference is in the outcome measure. Wood uses all-cause mortality and all cardiovascular events, while IHME build a separate ‘dose-response curve’ for each of 23 outcomes which they identify as having a causal connection with alcohol. If these specific outcomes are chosen, then there is little harm associated with being a non-drinker, whereas simply looking at all-cause mortality shows a dramatically higher risk in non-drinkers.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

I'll be looking for the expose that details the effect of sub-atomic particles on the synapses between the axons and dendrites of the brain when the ambient outside temperature is 30 degrees Centigrade @57% relative humidity.
Yes, I have been waiting for that study also. I hope the adjust for the effect of cosmic rays on the sub-atomic particles.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Like many have said - There is a lot of bad science in the field of human health.
Absolutely, and epidemiological studies like this are the worst. The one about "low-carb" diets being bad for you is another recent example. These studies do not control (cannot by their nature control) for a huge variety of potential confounds, which leaves results largely meaningless. Physicians (I'm generalizing) are poorly trained when it comes to reading, conducting, and interpreting research, so they give bad advice. Lobbying groups also put all kinds of spin on things. And the journalists who write these stories don't do any sort of investigative work; they just run with the snappiest headline. It's a joke.

You have to educate yourself independently. There is a lot of bad information out there, much of it put out by so-called "experts."
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

So how do you explain that $289 million award for much less than that 0.5% higher risk?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

“I feel sorry for people that don't drink because when they wake up in the morning, that is the best they are going to feel all day-” Frank Sinatra
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 63 retired (two years) and my wife and her two sisters have invited her sister to move into our retirement community. The worst part the sister moving here is an alcoholic for the past 30 years and still drinks heavily. After two weeks here she was drunk for the last three days and refuses help or to be in any type of program. Lucky she is not staying at my house.
Nothing is worse than dealing with three sisters and the fourth one is flaming alcoholic. After two weeks all wish she would move back! Why they wanted her here in the first place is beyond me (it must be a woman's thing). A 62 year old drunk who is missing her boyfriend who threw her out, not a nice site.
God please give me the grace to have patience. But on a second note I am not an alcoholic, so I will be having some Makers Mark tonight by myself reading a Brad Thor book.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Nothing Like Booze to have fun Party!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing Like Booze to have fun Party!

Quote:
look at the religions that prohibit drinking. I don't see those people living longer than the drinkers.
I was a wedding photographer when I was in high school and early college. Went to several Baptist weddings. They were the most dull, sad, people I have ever seen. Drinking fruit punch. Nothing like a Greek, Catholic, Italian wedding everybody is happy and the bride and groom are always having a good time. A little booze won't hurt anyone! But don't drink too much Greek Ouzo you might end up married before the night is over.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Truth now....
What do you know about prohibition? Did you know that the sale or distribution of alcohol was Constitutionally illegal in the United States from 1920 to 1933?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Prohibit..._United_States

And who has heard of Carrie Nation?