Join Early Retirement Today

bottom line costs
Old 12-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
gone traveling

bottom line costs

This is for everyone’s amusement.

My doctor prescribed a CT scan of my neck to try and track down my peripheral nerve issues.

After I scheduled it at my normal hospital-associated imaging lab, they sent me a notice stating that their estimate of my uncovered costs would be over $800. Oh, we have a Florida Blue Silver plan.

I had recently had a heart calcium scan done at a local imaging facility that does not accept insurance, so I asked them for an estimate. They will be doing the same procedure for $175. So no insurance but I think it is worth it....
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’d run it past the Dr. My experience had issues with who reads the imaging results (radiologists)I had opposite opinions from a 2nd opinion, if that makes sense. One MRI image reading said some pretty serious results. When my local hospital/radiologists read, it was completely different. The local radiologists were spot on. None of the issues were accurate with the 2nd opinion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
gone traveling

I appreciate the thought. My doctor had referred me to this imaging center before, so I presume he thinks they are capable. But I will still ask... Thanks for sharing your experience.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
bottom line costs
Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Administrator

bottom line costs

When I saw the title of this thread in the Health forum I thought it was going to be another thread about colonoscopies
Old 12-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #5

I was told never to use the hospital MRI unless you are already admitted to the hospital. I use the insurance app these days before I ever get any procedure done, it shows me all the approved locations and the cost. The one blood draw I had the price ranged by almost $400, just to stick you with a needle.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:15 AM   #6

Starting in 2021, hospitals are required to post the discounted cash price of 300 services that can be scheduled in advance. Both hospitals and insurance companies are expected to challenge the new requirement.

Quote:
In the final rule, we finalize the following:
2) requirements for making public a machine-readable file online that includes all standard charges (including gross charges, discounted cash prices, payer-specific negotiated charges, and de-identified minimum and maximum negotiated charges) for all hospital items and services;
3) requirements for making public discounted cash prices, payer-specific negotiated charges, and de-identified minimum and maximum negotiated charges for at least 300 ‘shoppable’ services that are displayed and packaged in a consumer-friendly manner.

Reference: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sh...hospital-price
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote