Join Early Retirement Today

Bronze or Silver
Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bronze or Silver

Scenario, M 55 and F 59. MAGI for 2018 will be $29K...could be higher if we choose to recognize LT cap gains or move some tIRA funds to Roth. Would you go with a Silver Plan (900 deductible, 3300 OOP) at no cost up to a MAGI of 34830 and use the difference of $5,330 to recognize LT cap gains or move IRA to Roth, or would you take a Bronze Plan (14,300 deductible, 14300 max OOP) at no cost up to a MAGI of $64K and recognize LT cap gains and move tIRA to Roth up to that 64K threshold? We both take no medications and are fortunate to have very good health. Or are we totally missing the boat by not looking into Bronze w/HSA?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you willing and able to insure up to $11,000 more medical expenses in case you don't have a healthy year this year?

What do you figure the value of nearly $30,000 more LTCGs taken or tIRA converted to Roth? 10%? That would be $3000 in hand, risking up to $11,000. That's the kind of comparison to make. You might look at the average of your last 5 years of medical expenses. If it's over or at all close to $3000, I'd take the silver and protect yourself on the high side.

Re: the HSA, just a little more math. I think you can contribute $8750 with the catch-ups (verify that number yourself), estimate the value of that to you, and compare that to what you have to bring your MAGI down to for a $0 premium. For me (single) the premium is only about $300/yr more, so it's worth it to me. I get a lower deductible and max OOP with the HSA policy too.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
Scenario, M 55 and F 59. MAGI for 2018 will be $29K...could be higher if we choose to recognize LT cap gains or move some tIRA funds to Roth. Would you go with a Silver Plan (900 deductible, 3300 OOP) at no cost up to a MAGI of 34830 and use the difference of $5,330 to recognize LT cap gains or move IRA to Roth, or would you take a Bronze Plan (14,300 deductible, 14300 max OOP) at no cost up to a MAGI of $64K and recognize LT cap gains and move tIRA to Roth up to that 64K threshold? We both take no medications and are fortunate to have very good health. Or are we totally missing the boat by not looking into Bronze w/HSA?
So if I understand you correctly, if you take the bronze then you can fill up an additional $30k or so with either 0% LTCG or low-cost 10-15% Roth conversions but you're risking that if you have a health event that you might have to pay an additional $11,000 ($14,300-$3,300)? And you are in good health.

I would probably go with the bronze... figuring that I'm saving $3k or more in taxes ($30k * (25%-15%)) and assuming a 10% chance of maxing out deductibles that the expected cost is $1,100 ($11,000 * 10%) and $3,000 beats $1,100. But you pick your poison with your eyes wide open.

I may be biased in that we have had a catastrophic plan (similar to bronze coverage) and doing low-cost Roth conversions for that last 5 years and it has worked out great for us with hardly any claims at all.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the input. I can handle the extra $11K in the event of a medical issue so that's not really a problem. I doubt I'll be getting any healthier as I get older so I'll probably go with the Bronze now while I'm still relatively young and use this time to move funds from tIRA to Roth. I've been doing those conversions to the top of the 15% bracket for a few years now (wish I had started sooner). RMDs will one day force us to sell some tIRA so the more I can move out now at 10-15%, the better. I also like recognizing LT gains right now as they are taxed at 0% for us. The downside is it changes your dividends from qualified to not so qualified.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I can handle the extra $11K in the event of a medical issue so that's not really a problem. I doubt I'll be getting any healthier as I get older so I'll probably go with the Bronze now while I'm still relatively young and use this time to move funds from tIRA to Roth. I've been doing those conversions to the top of the 15% bracket for a few years now (wish I had started sooner). RMDs will one day force us to sell some tIRA so the more I can move out now at 10-15%, the better. I also like recognizing LT gains right now as they are taxed at 0% for us. The downside is it changes your dividends from qualified to not so qualified.
What do you mean by that last sentence? You're not pushing dividends above the 15% line such that they are taxed, are you?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

+1. That last sentence didn't make sense to me either.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What do you mean by that last sentence? You're not pushing dividends above the 15% line such that they are taxed, are you?
Maybe OP is unloading the stock to take gains within the required holding period?
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Maybe OP is unloading the stock to take gains within the required holding period?
I have no idea what that means. I always thought a holding period was a minimum amount of time, with no end date, but you seem to imply the OP might have to take some gains before some holding period expires? What's an example of that?

The OP also seems to indicate a lot of flexibility in how much LTCGs to take, so I don't see any forced unloading of stock other than optimizing taxes by maxing out the 0% rate on them. Qualified dividends should be treated just like LTCGs for this purpose, keeping the two combined to be taxed at 0%.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What I meant is if I sell some Vanguard SP500 shares which have been held for a few years and buy a different fund (balance my allocation) my dividends from the new fund shares would be ordinary dividends and taxed until they have been held for the required holding period as opposed to qualified and not taxed on the SP500 shares that have been held for a few years.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I meant is if I sell some Vanguard SP500 shares which have been held for a few years and buy a different fund (balance my allocation) my dividends from the new fund shares would be ordinary dividends and taxed until they have been held for the required holding period as opposed to qualified and not taxed on the SP500 shares that have been held for a few years.
Whether dividends are qualified or not does not rely on how long you have held the fund, as far as I know. Is there a fund are you thinking to buy to balance that actually does this? If it's a bond fund, it's (almost?) never going to throw qualified dividends. This is why many people keep bond funds in their tax deferred or tax free accounts. If you have some stock funds in those accounts, you could trade those for bond funds, and continue buying stock funds in your taxable account.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably not a problem unless you are doing a lot of trading... it is unlikely to come into play for plain-vanilla rebalancing as we are talking about. See: https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informa...fied-dividends

Old 11-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point RB. I was thinking the dividends from the next stock fund I buy would be treated like a dividend from a new individual stock purchased but that's not the case...that's good.

And the Fidelity link was very informative. Thanks pb.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
I have no idea what that means. I always thought a holding period was a minimum amount of time, with no end date, but you seem to imply the OP might have to take some gains before some holding period expires? What's an example of that?

The OP also seems to indicate a lot of flexibility in how much LTCGs to take, so I don't see any forced unloading of stock other than optimizing taxes by maxing out the 0% rate on them. Qualified dividends should be treated just like LTCGs for this purpose, keeping the two combined to be taxed at 0%.
Maybe I misunderstood what OP was saying, but what I thought they were going to sell off securities and realize LTCG. IRS requires that you hold a stock for a minimum period of time to be considered 'qualified'. For common stock you must hold for more than 60 days during 121 day window that starts 60 days before the ex-dividend date. For preferred it's different window time frame.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood what OP was saying, but what I thought they were going to sell off one security in order to realize LTCG. IRS requires that you hold a stock for
We are waiting with baited breath for the second part of the sentence.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood what OP was saying, but what I thought they were going to sell off securities and realize LTCG. IRS requires that you hold a stock for a minimum period of time to be considered 'qualified'. For common stock you must hold for more than 60 days during 121 day window that starts 60 days before the ex-dividend date. For preferred it's different window time frame.
I was unaware of that 60/121 day holding period, but as pb4's link in post #11 shows, as long as you continue to hold the new funds for at least 60 days in that 121 day window they'll be qualified. Unless I'm reading that wrong.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We are waiting with baited breath for the second part of the sentence.
OK, so I accidentally fat fingered the keyboard while posting and accidentally clicked on the submit button. Guess things like that don't happen to you. I immediately did an edit and completed my post.

Was it necessary for your to post something so snarky? Have I done something to offend you?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #17

sounds like bobandsherry were bringing in the wash sale rule... kind of separate from LTCG or qualified dividends in general.

I do need to learn more about not so qualified dividends. I was wondering if he was doing too much LTCG and pushing them above the 15% bracket and making them taxable. He could be selling an investment too close to the dividend and making it not qualified. Not sure what was meant... or how it place gold or bronze.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
sounds like bobandsherry were bringing in the wash sale rule... kind of separate from LTCG or qualified dividends in general.

I do need to learn more about not so qualified dividends. I was wondering if he was doing too much LTCG and pushing them above the 15% bracket and making them taxable. He could be selling an investment too close to the dividend and making it not qualified. Not sure what was meant... or how it place gold or bronze.
Not confusing wash sale. Found this info for reference -> Qualified Dividend

And this is the specific reference:
Quote:
The Holding Period
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires investors to hold the stock for a minimum period of time to benefit from the lower tax rate. Common stock investors must hold the shares for more than 60 days during the 121-day period that starts 60 days before the ex-dividend date.

For preferred stock, the holding period is more than 90 days during a 181-day period that starts 90 days before the ex-dividend date.
Perhaps I am reading more into it than stated. But that's why I read-up here so I can become better informed.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, so I accidentally fat fingered the keyboard while posting and accidentally clicked on the submit button. Guess things like that don't happen to you. I immediately did an edit and completed my post.

Was it necessary for your to post something so snarky? Have I done something to offend you?
I was kidding. But my bad. I should have included an emoticon to my post so it was clear that I was kidding.