Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Butt hill - Walking my way to a thiner Ray
Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A while ago I developed my big walking loop. It takes about an hour and 10 minutes. Why? I want to make sure I get at least an hour in. No excuses when walking past the house “Ah thats enough”. I get bored easily. So at the furthest point I am at least 15 minutes away from home. [Unfortunately I could cut through the the local school yard.] There is no quitting once I start.

Yesterday I was a couple minutes out and I ran into another walker I see out there often . She said “I see you finally made it out of the neighborhood!” We chatted for a few minutes and I told her my route. She said “No sidewalks & too much traffic” True but I pay attention the whole way. “Have you ever gone that way?” She points. “Are you good with hills? I call it butt hill - try it” so I do. Although its probably 1/2 a mile from my house I had never had occasion to go into that neighborhood.

I started on my way and bam Everest stood before me. Now this was quite a hill. Well all that walking I do must have increased my stamina I tackle it and all though its tuff I make it and I continue on my regular route. One and half podcasts later I arrive home spent. Hooray Huh? I feel an unpleasant tightening in my calfs.

If you have guessed butt hill gets its name from its ability to reduce one. The high today is in the thirties & it’s been blowing like crazy I think Ill stick to my normal route today. A smaller butt will have to wait.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #2

DW and I walk daily, do about a 2.5 mile route around the subdivision (200 homes), rain, snow or shine. The area is flat, no through traffic and pretty much a ghost town in the mornings and early afternoons. Some days we do two walks, the second one in the evening turns out to be more of a socializing activity as opposed to any real exercising. To me, walking as become as regular as my morning coffee. I do have a nice butt and so does DW, thank you.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I do 5-8 miles every morning, mostly hiking in state and county parks. The terrrain that I hike is a little uneven, with little or no slope. But one state park that I go to has a couple of places where there are sections of 200 steps. Climbing those are a butt burner.

Went out yesterday at 15 degrees. Waiting today until the temp is in the 20’s. I see a couple of nasty weather days coming where I may have to walk on the treadmill instead.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your stories, Ray!
Our neighborhood has plenty of both flat and hilly areas, so it is easy to do one or the other or both, depending on what I feel like when I walk. I really do not enjoy being out in the cold, wet weather, so most of my walking is done Spring-Fall. Winter I am more of a couch potato with exercising done on a yoga mat and hand weights.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I alternate days with cycling (indoors or outdoors depending on the season) and walking.
The problem I run into is my watch calculates my VO2 max, shows resting heartrate, etc and as I have progressed in my fitness, I find it harder and harder to raise my heartrate on walks, lower my resting heartrate or increase my VO2 max.
So I commend your inclusion of hills. The challenge is to find new routes that "push" us a bit further. There are miles and then there are quality miles. Sometimes less is more if you can get into your aerobic zone. The benefits will most likely be greater without having to increase time or mileage.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nice work, Ray, keep it up!

I have been averaging about 9,500 steps per day since my last total hip replacement 7 weeks ago. Although on Wednesday I waked just over 14,000 steps with half of that with three of my buddies.

My average over the whole year of 2019 is just over 10,000 steps per day on mostly flat terrain (north side of Houston). That's about 4.5 miles per day for me.

With two total hip replacements and north of 76 years old, I guess I am hanging in there, so to say.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #7

We walk a 3 mile loop at least once a day. Takes about 45 minutes so I guess our pace is only 4 mph. Includes 2 steep hills which gets our heart rate up a bit.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
We walk a 3 mile loop at least once a day. Takes about 45 minutes so I guess our pace is only 4 mph.
4 mph is a VERY brisk walk!

I walk a lot and I had estimated my pace (which usually seems "brisk') was about 16-17 min/mile. When I measured the distance more accurately, it turned out to be more like 17-18 min/mile, sometimes more. And I assumed a mile was about 2000 steps but it turns out that for me, it's closer to 2300 steps.

So, not as many steps & miles as I thought. But it's all good.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
We walk a 3 mile loop at least once a day. Takes about 45 minutes so I guess our pace is only 4 mph. Includes 2 steep hills which gets our heart rate up a bit.
That's my pace as well. For me - very brisk. I do 3 miles most days, but try to add a 4 and a 5 each week.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We have Goat Hill near my house. The last time I walked up it I saw several mountain goats tumbling out of control down the hill.

All kidding aside, it is a very steep hill with an altitude gain of about 360 feet, IIRC. It is a good workout going up and down, with lots of huffing and puffing. I do it with a walking stick for extra balance control. Some of the slopes going downhill are precarious to say the least. I am glad I don't have to drive it in snowy weather.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish I can do walking regularly, I do daily walking for about a few weeks & then we travel or some such thing happens when I stop & it does not get restarted for a month or two.
I am just unable to keep the regularity which is my Achilles heel.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
We have Goat Hill near my house. The last time I walked up it I saw several mountain goats tumbling out of control down the hill.

All kidding aside, it is a very steep hill with an altitude gain of about 360 feet, IIRC. It is a good workout going up and down, with lots of huffing and puffing. I do it with a walking stick for extra balance control. Some of the slopes going downhill are precarious to say the least. I am glad I don't have to drive it in snowy weather.
I can't walk up a 360 ft hill, as the tallest hill in Florida is 345 ft.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I can't walk up a 360 ft hill, as the tallest hill in Florida is 345 ft.

Each day bring a few extra pounds of dirt with you. Then empty the dirt out at the top of the hill. Keep doing this until you have raised it 15 feet. This has the added benefit of helping you get a better workout.

Problem solved. EZ-PZ.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Each day bring a few extra pounds of dirt with you. Then empty the dirt out at the top of the hill. Keep doing this until you have raised it 15 feet. This has the added benefit of helping you get a better workout.

Problem solved. EZ-PZ.
I like your thinking.