Can I see the Doctor please??

Walmart at least sells both meters as well as kits where you put the blood on a strip and send it off. (I suspect others do also)
The A1C test kits sold at Walgreens give you your test results at home in about 5 mins. Digital meter included and nothing to send off.

If you buy one, be sure to check the expiration date on the box. I've seen expired test kits on the shelf more than once.

Thanks! I will definitely be picking up a test kit. I hate waiting for a once-annually doc visit to find out if the changes I'm trying to make are having an impact.

I was in costco one day and they were doing them for free. Perhaps check with the pharmacy and see if they plan an event any time soon.

I have a former boss who was probably at 55 a few years ago. He just stepped down from his current position and accepted a higher level position at a different institution. He had a massive heart attack and was in comma for about 3 days. He came out fine, at least looked like fine, and actually want to take that higher level position.
I doubt if any routine check-up could detect these problems. We normally get a blood lab and have a consultation with the primary doctor.

Regarding blocked arteries, are there any tests that can be done as part of preventive care to identify partial or complete blockage?

They are called EKGs. My doctor has a practice of aging patients, and he was always trying to find other income sources. He's got a treadmill and a EKG machine and started making it part of his physicals when possible. He's and a bunch of other doctors met with a cardiologist weekly to get the EKGs read.r
Immediately his practice quit having Heart Attacks because of a proactive analysis of patients' hearts. They were referred to the cardiologist.

I have a former boss who was probably at 55 a few years ago. He just stepped down from his current position and accepted a higher level position at a different institution. He had a massive heart attack and was in comma for about 3 days. He came out fine, at least looked like fine, and actually want to take that higher level position.
I doubt if any routine check-up could detect these problems. We normally get a blood lab and have a consultation with the primary doctor.

I do an annual 'wellness' exam with a nurse practitioner. She ask all the normal questions a doctor would plus I get all the blood work done there. An assistant calls with the results and I get an email with all my numbers. Seeing a NP is an easy way to monitor your health. An added plus is I have never spent more than an hour at her office, unlike a doctor's visit. Of course if I ever start having a major ongoing health issue I'm sure I will be in the hands of a doctor from that point forward.

It should be noted that no prescription is required for blood glucose monitors. A device and 50 test strips could not cost more than about $40 (possibly less).
this is definitely cheaper than a hospital blood test.

Are these as accurate as a needle blood test? I did not know they are available without a prescription. Thanks for that info.

VanWinkle, I read this with a feeling of dread. I am so glad that he made it and is starting to come out of the induced coma. I sincerely hope for a complete recovery.

I agree that it is important to go for yearly exams.

VanWinkle, I read this with a feeling of dread. I am so glad that he made it and is starting to come out of the induced coma. I sincerely hope for a complete recovery.

I agree that it is important to go for yearly exams.

As an update, he is still in ICU but is talking and thanking everyone for prayers that were answered. It appears that he will have a full recovery, although he is getting a boatload of prescriptions to take with him.

Thanks to all for prayers and concerns:greetings10:

VW

On the other hand, doctors can over treat for symptoms and what they consider medical problems. There are pills for everything. It is being reported by latest studies, many women are being over treated for breast cancer. There are hundreds of different types of cancer, but doctors often lump all varieties in one diagnosis, cancer. This alarms patients to the degree they want the most care to eliminate cancer, often including chemo, radiation, surgery. It's called the "gold standard" of care. My question is "gold" for who?

I agree, 37 years is a long time to go without a check up. But I do feel everyone should really understand what they're being treated for and what are the side effects and how will that affect my quality of life. I do not always follow my doctors recommendations. I almost had my gall bladder removed because the ultrasound saw gallstones.I did not make the surgical appointment and found out I did not have gallstones at all, after a CT scan and a 2nd ultrasound. I had a twisted small intestine blockage which is more painful than childbirth. I did not have surgery, but an NG tube that removes bile from the intestine and relaxes the blockage.

Do I want a medicine that can destroy my liver or kidneys to solve a problem that can be corrected by a good diet and exercise? Just saying, I'm skeptical, but I do see my doctor regularly. Sometimes blocked arteries go unnoticed until the massive heart attack. Happened to a friend of mine who sees her doctor regularly. She had open heart surgery, but had no symptoms before the heart attack.

I just need someone to tell me who I should believe. Which Doctor is wrong - the one that says I need a Statin based on my test results - or the Doctor that says Statins are the devil drug? Is it the Dr. that is in bed with Big Pharma or the Dr. who makes his money writing books about the evil of drugs and their effect on the body. Seriously, if someone could just let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I just need someone to tell me who I should believe. Which Doctor is wrong - the one that says I need a Statin based on my test results - or the Doctor that says Statins are the devil drug? Is it the Dr. that is in bed with Big Pharma or the Dr. who makes his money writing books about the evil of drugs and their effect on the body. Seriously, if someone could just let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I had the same dilemma. My LDL was really high, but my ratios were good. Every year my doctor and I would have the statin discussion ending with me refusing the statins. Finally I upped my exercise and went on a plant based, whole food diet and my LDL went way down. Now the topic never comes up.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts - you basically have to do your own research, and then make an informed decision. I decided to NOT take a statin (against the recommendation of my doctor), after doing a whole lot of my own research. Sure, you will find conflicting advice online also, but if you do enough research, you will at least be armed with the information you need to make a good decision. Here are a couple of practitioners whose material I read before I made my decision on statins. One is an MD, and one is not, but in my opinion, what they both wrote made a lot of sense. But don't limit yourself to these two.......do your own research, and see what you come up with. It's your health, which is probably the most important thing that you have, so it should be worth investing a little time to educate yourself.

"Treat" cholesterol, exorcise the bogeyman | Dr. William Davis

https://chriskresser.com/what-the-media-isnt-telling-you-about-statin-drug-trials/

I got the A1C kit at Walgreens yesterday. It was quick and easy. I got a 5.6, not bad but I want to see if I can bring it down

When I went in for my routine thyroid panel work, the phlebotomist (person drawing the blood) told me, when I asked to make sure which tests were being run, that they were also doing an A1C.

I was very surprised. The doctor hadn’t mentioned that months ago when I saw him. He doesn’t even know my fasting glucose which has been normal.

Anyway it came back 5.2% which is apparently normal. So that’s good.

But next week I get to ask why it was ordered, as I also wonder it there was some other test I was supposed to have and there was a data entry error.

But next week I get to ask why it was ordered, as I also wonder it there was some other test I was supposed to have and there was a data entry error.

Same thing here. My doc orders one, sometimes two, "extra" test every year. Rarely a repeat, just something he likes to check on that isn't covered by the routine tests.

Examples of those extra tests have included A1C, Vitamin D, Iron, NMR particles, etc. I remember one year there was a very unusual test, and when I asked him about it he showed me the result from a previous different test, explained the relationship between them, and told me how the new one could be used to rule something out. I was so impressed I almost quit questioning him after that.

The A1c can be used for screening for diabetes or "pre-diabetes." Maybe your doctor thinks you are at risk.

I got the A1C kit at Walgreens yesterday. It was quick and easy. I got a 5.6, not bad but I want to see if I can bring it down

A little over a year ago via my annual physical I got the totally surprising (and unfortunate) news that my A1C was 8.7, seriously into the diabetic range. However, with bumped up exercise and significantly changing my diet (much lower carb, but not horrendously low) I've been able to lower my A1C to 5.7 (as of yesterday's annual physical). Losing about 25 pounds along the way helped. A bonus was that all of my other bloodwork levels (like cholesterol) got back into normal ranges.

So, yes, it's certainly possible. There's a ton of online info but make sure you get it from reputable sites.

Larry

The A1c can be used for screening for diabetes or "pre-diabetes." Maybe your doctor thinks you are at risk.

Nope. Apparently all patients are being given this test as a screen.

A1C was a decent good number. Not surprising since my fasting blood glucose is normal. My insulin however was just a tad above optimal, although well within the “official” OK range.

Last edited:
Larry, 8.7 to 5.7 is amazing. I brought my A1c down from 5.6 to 5.0 in 2 months with more exercise and a 10 lb weight loss. Getting away from the Christmas treats probably helped. I was very motivated by family history.

The US Preventive Services Task Force recommends screening adults between 40 and 70 who are overweight or obese. Since that is 2/3 of us some physicians may just decide to screen everyone.

Thanks! I will definitely be picking up a test kit. I hate waiting for a once-annually doc visit to find out if the changes I'm trying to make are having an impact.

Hemoglobin A1C is the minor component of a red blood cell to which glucose is bound. Since a red blood cell's life expectancy is roughly 90 days, it's a good way to see how your blood glucose has been doing for the past three months. What it doesn't show is spikes, which may show a problem earlier. This is where the ordinary finger stick is handy. If you suspect a problem, check two hours after eating. It should be under 140 mg/dl.

Back
Top Bottom