Join Early Retirement Today

Capital Punishment - lethal injections often fail
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Capital Punishment - lethal injections often fail

CBS news is reporting on the latest study on capital punishment and lethal injections -- it sometimes fails.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...litics_2719847

I always suspected that lethal injections were not the most humane way to put someone to death. But, then again, is there an easy way to die? Most states have adopted this method because they felt it was the most humane method -- not now.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Capital Punishment - lethal injections often fail
Old 04-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if guillotines can fail?
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to talk technically about this charged topic but by way of the facts, lethal injections fail because they are administered by poorly qualified people, and because they are a bizarre mixture of ingredients. Veterinarians virtually never fail in euthanizing dogs and cats, using a powerful sedative, comparable to inducing general anesthesia but without the respiratory support. Deep anesthesia without respiratory support is always fatal and presumable would be "humane" if you believe that "humane execution" is not an oxymoron.

The current method is to me cruel and unusual.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
we should use it, simply for humane purposes.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Always a chance of failure when you're dealing with cutting edge technology...

Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Always a chance of failure when you're dealing with cutting edge technology...

You always cut to the point REWahoo..
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've known it all along....he's a sharp guy!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think the injections failed - all of them died. They just
failed to work as humanely as desired. Still, probably alot more
humanely than their victims . . .
Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Deep anesthesia without respiratory support is always fatal and presumable would be "humane" if you believe that "humane execution" is not an oxymoron.
That sounds like a good way to go. What kind of anesthesia? I'd bet some people would happily wait in line for execution via Morphine.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

There really isn't a humane way to kill someone. Painless (physically), perhaps. But it's hardly humane to have a person count the hours down to when we will coldly and dispassionately snuff out his life. It almost seems a little hypocritical to try to be humane.

I'm not a huge fan of CP, but there are some people I'd pull the switch on myself. Like bin Laden, if we ever catch him alive - I could almost hope the first 30 or 40 tries to kill him wouldn't work.
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had read it did at times...

And I also heard on one of the public TV shows that the head was still alive for a few seconds after it was cut off.... that the person could have known what happened... talk about cruel...

I would much prefer the lethal injection over the hangmans noose, firing squad and 'ole sparky'... give the guy a lot of sedatives and knock him out and then continue to put more in until dead...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
And I also heard on one of the public TV shows that the head was still alive for a few seconds after it was cut off.... that the person could have known what happened... talk about cruel...
I read somewhere that was a myth. It is true, though, that guillotines sometimes didn't complete the task, if the blade wasn't sharp enough. (Ew.)

Quote:
I would much prefer the lethal injection over the hangmans noose, firing squad and 'ole sparky'... give the guy a lot of sedatives and knock him out and then continue to put more in until dead...
After reading about what happened to people when those other methods failed, lethal injection does sound the least nasty. But there's something about the sterility of it, the clinical coldness, that creeps me out. I'm not opposed to the DP for particularly heinous crimes - I even think it's necessary in some cases (like bin Laden - can't have him alive in prison - he'd still be a threat), but I don't feel good about it. I don't think we should. Taking a life is not a good thing.
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #13

I have absolutely no problem with the death penalty at all. If a person has been found guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, then the penalty should be as severe as possible. If someone murders another person, put him/her to death, not life in prison. They just have to make sure that the first "lethal" injection doesn't fail.....make it strong enough to kill a moose!

In Illinois, our last crooked, thieving, liar of governor, put a moratorium on the death penalty. So we have a sh*t load of scum sitting in prisons on "death row", who committed heinous crimes against society, and WE as taxpayers get to support them. WE get to put a roof over their heads, feed them three meals a day, cloth them, pay for all of their medical bills, and everything else. Meanwhile, there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people in our state who have jobs, yet can't afford decent housing (some can't afford any), they can hardly make ends meet, and they have no insurance.

But, hey maybe some screwball judge in the 'criminal justice system' can decide that they've now paid their 'debt' to society, and turn them loose so they can try again.

I firmly believe in reinstating the death penalty and start cleaning out our over crowded prisons. Whether by lethal injection, electric chair, firing squad, whackin' their head off, hanging until dead, or whatever.....and I wouldn't be overly concerned about their 'comfort' before or during the execution. They weren't overly concerned about their victim's comfort!

We have a former family friend (from back in the late 60's or very early 70's) serving a life sentence in the Tennessee D.O.C. for burglary and murder. He's been sitting there now for over 25 years, while a family in Tennessee has had to go through life without their husband/father/brother. When he was convicted....and there was preponderance of evidence against him.....he should have been sentenced to death....and the sentence should have been carried out!

The sister of an old high school buddy was murdered back in the early 80's here in town...in her own home! The dirt-bag randomly picked her house, kicked in the front door, slit her throat in the living room, turned around and ran out the door and hid in the under brush a few blocks away. They caught him fairly quickly, and took him off to jail. He was convicted of her murder by a lot physical evidence and eye witnesses, and he was sentenced to natural life in prison. Here we are 25 years later, he's still in prison, and while there has murdered 2 other inmates. The convictions for both of those murders??.....2 more life sentences!! There's a problem!!

As for less dastardly crimes, I believe they need to bring back "chain gangs". We used to have them here in IL, but some bleeding hearts must have thought it was too cruel of a way to make them pay there 'debt' to society. But, man, the roadsides looked really well maintained for a few miles around the the state pens!!! When I saw them (way back when) it looked like a scene right out of "Cool Hand Luke"! :
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #14

Does your bias show through when you change 'Somtimes Fail' in your title to 'often fail'?

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #15

i'm not sure why this is in the health section. almost as funny as finding a humane way to put someone to an involuntary death.

capital punishment is nothing more than shrugging off responsibility at best or premeditated, state-sanctioned murder at worst.

hey, maybe they'll be punished in the next world, let's send them there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i'm not sure why this is in the health section. almost as funny as finding a humane way to put someone to an involuntary death.

capital punishment is nothing more than shrugging off responsibility at best or premeditated, state-sanctioned murder at worst.

hey, maybe they'll be punished in the next world, let's send them there.
What do you suggest for the people who kill little children? Rehabilitation? I just want them dead so they suffer a worse penalty in hell... Oh and screw using tax money to keep them locked up
Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #17

you should always have a good reason to save a buck. it's so convenient for you to think that there's actually some filing system after death, that you won't be emailing the killer directly into the same world as the killed. i only hope you won't ever be disappointed to learn that in hell they get rehabbed and wind up in the same state of grace as the person they killed because it would be so upsetting to find you missed your opportunity to punish or even rehab them here.

i'm also so glad that you specified killers of children, who, as you know, are much more awful than killers of actual adults.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
you should always have a good reason to save a buck. it's so convenient for you to think that there's actually some filing system after death, that you won't be emailing the killer directly into the same world as the killed. i only hope you won't ever be disappointed to learn that in hell they get rehabbed and wind up in the same state of grace as the person they killed because it would be so upsetting to find you missed your opportunity to punish or even rehab them here.

i'm also so glad that you specified killers of children, who, as you know, are much more awful than killers of actual adults.
Sorry buddy you lost me with that ramble. : Id prefer the eye for the eye system but our society is too civilized. Rapists, thieves, murderers etc would get their just desserts.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Oh and screw using tax money to keep them locked up
I agree!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Goonie....

The problem with your post is that it actually cost more to put a criminal to death than to house them for the rest of their life... if they get life, there are few appeals... a capital murderer gets MANY appeals and then end of life court cases... all cost a lot of money...

Texas has the largest population on death road AND the most people put to death... I don't mind it a bit to pay the extra money...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote