Join Early Retirement Today

Cataract eye surgery
Old 06-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cataract eye surgery

My 87 yr. old mother is scheduled to go in Wed for cataract surgery. She has a medicare HMO type policy that we were told paid for the surgery. Now at the 11th hour, they are telling us, she will have to pay $2,300 per eye ($4,600-doing both) for the cosmetic part of it so she won't have to wear glasses anymore as she will be able to see.

She does not have this money, and I have not been able to get anyone on the phone to explain to me what this is all about. I thought the surgery was supposed to correct the vision problem. Is that not so? What is this "cosmetic" surgury they are talking about? Can anyone give me some information on this?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds goofy to me. My mother had both eyes done (one at a time). Medicare paid for it. This was a while ago like maybe 1993 or so. I think MEDICARE should be able to explain it to you -- don't know why the doctor or medical facility cannot do it. Do they even know they know she is covered by Medicare? At 80+ it should be oblivious, but then who knows.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #3

My mother had both eyes done when she was 90 and Medicare paid.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

I believe the HMO may be referring to the new implants which also eliminate the need for reading glasses. As I understand it, Medicare will pay for the single focal length implants (to correct distant vision), but if someone wants the newer ones which correct near vision as well, they have to pay extra out of their own pocket.

link
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you very much for the link. That was very helpful. Also to the rest of you for your reply. Seems she has now agreed that just the cataract surgery is all she needs.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote