Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
2. Have surgery to correct distance in one eye and near in the other?

Anyone have experience with this?
I've been this way naturally since about fourth grade - very nearsighted in the right eye but correctable to 20/15 (go figure) and until I was in my forties the left eye was 20/20, now I think 20/40.

So I only wear contact lenses or glasses when I have to drive somewhere, and I find this very convenient. I don't have to use reading glasses unless I'm wearing the contact lenses.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Multifocal: I had multifocal eyeglasses back in the 1970's and absolutely hated them; I have an unusually long neck, and I needed more fine muscle coordination in my neck than I have, in order to use exactly the right part of the multifocal lens to see whatever-it-is that I want to see. Since I hate multifocal glasses, it was easy for me to say "No!" to multifocal lens implants during cataract surgery.
I've never heard of multifocal glasses. Are you talking about bi or tri focal?

I can't speak for all multifocal lens, but with the Tecnis Symfony lens it's nothing like what you describe. You don't have to do anything, the focal points are seamless. I'm typing this on my phone and look to TV, all one fluid motion, no movement in my head, neck or anything else.

I had LASIK 13 years ago and traded far sightedness for beibg nearsided, while it was ok I was ready to give up readers now with the multifocal. Going with Tecnis multifocal was right decision for me given my lifestyle. So much now is done on phone, laptop and tablet, not needing to grab a reader to use them is great. As is seeing a menu now when I go out to eat. But I understand everyone has different perspective on what works for them.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I've never heard of multifocal glasses. Are you talking about bi or tri focal?

I can't speak for all multifocal lens, but with the Tecnis Symfony lens it's nothing like what you describe. You don't have to do anything, the focal points are seamless. I'm typing this on my phone and look to TV, all one fluid motion, no movement in my head, neck or anything else.

I had LASIK 13 years ago and traded far sightedness for beibg nearsided, while it was ok I was ready to give up readers now with the multifocal. Going with Tecnis multifocal was right decision for me given my lifestyle. So much now is done on phone, laptop and tablet, not needing to grab a reader to use them is great. As is seeing a menu now when I go out to eat. But I understand everyone has different perspective on what works for them.
Glad you found an individual solution that worked for you!

That said, as I'm sure you must know, a substantial percentage of those who do just fine with bifocals do not ever successfully adjust to progressive/multifocal glasses. Many famous and wealthy people wear bifocals; even Bill Gates IIRC.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Glad you found an individual solution that worked for you!

That said, as I'm sure you must know, a substantial percentage of those who do just fine with bifocals do not ever successfully adjust to progressive/multifocal glasses. Many famous and wealthy people wear bifocals; even Bill Gates IIRC.
A progressive lens in eyeglasses is nothing like the Tecnics IOL lens implanted for cataract surgery.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's funny. I went with a monovision option after my first surgery. Doc said OK and my second eye was done for reading. I still use cheaters for heavy reading but go without them for every day stuff. I'd never heard of monovision before and definitely didn't try it.

Our brains are marvelous things that will adapt. When I was a kid getting glasses every year was horrible(I was very near sighted with astigmatism) for a couple weeks but eventually your brain adjusts. My brain adjusted in a day!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I did mine for reading and wear glasses to drive. I have done that all my like anyway so it seemed like a no brainer. I am not wearing glasses as I am typing this, so far so good. I spend a lot more time on my computer than I do driving. After 6 years all good.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I didn't mention why I chose the distance lenses instead of multifocal or monovision or toric lenses.

Multifocal: My surgeon and his office specialize in cataract surgery. They didn't push this option, and said that they had better results usually with other types of lenses. I had multifocal eyeglasses back in the 1970's and absolutely hated them; I have an unusually long neck, and I needed more fine muscle coordination in my neck than I have, in order to use exactly the right part of the multifocal lens to see whatever-it-is that I want to see. Since I hate multifocal glasses, it was easy for me to say "No!" to multifocal lens implants during cataract surgery.
Quote:
A progressive lens in eyeglasses is nothing like the Tecnics IOL lens implanted for cataract surgery.
I'm sure. My surgeon was not a fan, though (see above). Like I said several times already, I'm glad you found a lens you like and people need to talk to the surgeon and look into what is right for them as individuals, not follow the crowd.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm sure. My surgeon was not a fan, though (see above). Like I said several times already, I'm glad you found a lens you like and people need to talk to the surgeon and look into what is right for them as individuals, not follow the crowd.
Your surgeon was not a fan of Tecnis Symfony lens or multifocal in general? Asking as the Tecnis is a newer lens. My surgeon was not a fan of previous multifocal offerings. He has seen great results with Tecnis lens.

I likewise am glad that you found what works for you individually. But I did feel it important to correct misinformation you were sharing. But do agree that everyone needs to talk to their surgeon on options. But more importantly first find one that is skilled and also stays up on advances being made with IOL lens and techniques.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gave careful consideration to the Tecnis symfony. What put me off were many reports on the web of halos and other artifacts at night. My surgeon did confirm that this was a possible side effect, although he left the final decision up to me.

So instead I went for what my surgeon calls 'blended vision'; this is like monovision, but the difference between the two lenses is quite small, 0.5 diopter in my case. This gives me 20/20 from distance down to about 3 feet. Computer screen is OK without glasses, iPhone very marginal. I confess that this is a bit inconvenient at times.

One thing I noticed after both eyes had settled down was that my perception of distance was much improved. The world is back to being a 3-D place! It seems that one of my eyes was so bad that my brain couldn't process its image with that from the other eye to give good depth perception.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I gave careful consideration to the Tecnis symfony. What put me off were many reports on the web of halos and other artifacts at night. My surgeon did confirm that this was a possible side effect, although he left the final decision up to me.

So instead I went for what my surgeon calls 'blended vision'; this is like monovision, but the difference between the two lenses is quite small, 0.5 diopter in my case. This gives me 20/20 from distance down to about 3 feet. Computer screen is OK without glasses, iPhone very marginal. I confess that this is a bit inconvenient at times.

One thing I noticed after both eyes had settled down was that my perception of distance was much improved. The world is back to being a 3-D place! It seems that one of my eyes was so bad that my brain couldn't process its image with that from the other eye to give good depth perception.
Good example of why important for everyone to speak to their surgeon. What's good for one person may not be good for another. I'm sure you made right decision for you.

I read same information as you. Spoke to my surgeon and he said his experience has been very good with the lens. He also told me if it was him, he'd go with the the Tecnis.

I also considered that people usually only post things when they have something bad or to complain. This is reason I'm sharing my positive experience.

I do see a slight starburst from bright light at night, but in comparing description with my wife it's same as she experiences with her contacts. I don't have halos or other artifacts at night. And its much less intrusive than what I saw with same lights with my cataracts. And if I think back, it's also less intrusive as what I experienced after I had my LASIK many years ago.

I had my surgery on right eye two weeks ago and surgeon said there's a good chance I will improve over next few weeks as lens settles into place and eye heals. I will say I have noticed an improvement from last week. Had left eye done today so I'll see how that goes.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your surgeon was not a fan of Tecnis Symfony lens or multifocal in general? Asking as the Tecnis is a newer lens. My surgeon was not a fan of previous multifocal offerings. He has seen great results with Tecnis lens.

I likewise am glad that you found what works for you individually. But I did feel it important to correct misinformation you were sharing. But do agree that everyone needs to talk to their surgeon on options. But more importantly first find one that is skilled and also stays up on advances being made with IOL lens and techniques.
I don’t see any misinformation in W2R’s posts, and as someone whose grandparent went blind from cataract surgery, she probably did a lot more research than 99 percent of the rest of us into finding a skilled surgeon who stays up on IOL advances and techniques. Good for you finding a lens and a doctor you are happy with, though.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #32
gone traveling

Monofocal - I got this which was the cheapest way for me to correct my distance vision. I have not heard of too many that opt for this to correct for close-up, as reading glasses for that are cheap.

Monovision - This means getting a distance lens in one eye and a lens for closeup in the other. Not everyone is a candidate for this and you should try contacts for a few weeks to see if its an option for you.

Multi-focal - Seems there are more new options coming out yearly in this area that will allow for correction of both distance and closeup. It costs more, and may produce more starbursts at night than the other choices, and as I understand it, requires some eye training as well. I also was told that distance vision might be a little better with Monofocal vs the Multi-focal, and as a softball player, I did not want to compromise my distance vision.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Multi-focal - Seems there are more new options coming out yearly in this area that will allow for correction of both distance and closeup. It costs more, and may produce more starbursts at night than the other choices, and as I understand it, requires some eye training as well. I also was told that distance vision might be a little better with Monofocal vs the Multi-focal, and as a softball player, I did not want to compromise my distance vision.
As one of the newest members of the Multifocal community, 2nd eye was done 2 days ago, you are right on cost. But at 56 I hope to have many years of enjoyment from them.

Just a couple points from my experience. I don't know about all multifocal lens, but with lens I chose there is no eye training required. There is nothing given up on distant vision either. Speaking to my surgeon he said my distant vision would be same with either choice. Perhaps not the case for everyone so def worth talking to their surgeon on options.

After wearing readers for the last 13 years, I was ready to dump them, worth the cost of admission for me. Nice to just pick up my phone and type this reply without looking for my readers. [emoji41]
Old 09-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

With multifocal contact lenses, my brain and eyes did go through a brief period of learning to work together, to match the appropriate concentric ring on the lenses with the task at hand. Distance (driving) was intuitive; mid-range and close-up required some concentration, at first.

So perhaps this is the "eye training" you refer to.

Quote:

Multi-focal - Seems there are more new options coming out yearly in this area that will allow for correction of both distance and closeup. It costs more, and may produce more starbursts at night than the other choices, and as I understand it, requires some eye training as well.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
With multifocal contact lenses, my brain and eyes did go through a brief period of learning to work together, to match the appropriate concentric ring on the lenses with the task at hand. Distance (driving) was intuitive; mid-range and close-up required some concentration, at first.

Contacts and glasses operate that way, but no IOL lens. No distance between eye and lens so it's all seem less. Right after surgery I could see distant and near without any thought of brain to eyes, maybe that because I have no brains. [emoji41]
Old 09-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Possibly, one of my friends recently got multifocals and I believe he indicated he was given some exercises to speed up adaptation.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Possibly, one of my friends recently got multifocals and I believe he indicated he was given some exercises to speed up adaptation.
Was that for contact lens or IOL lens for cataract replacement?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Was that for contact lens or IOL lens for cataract replacement?
IOL, not sure which brand he got.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Interesting, thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #40

Quote:
I had a follow-up today with my eye surgeon, I asked him about different multi-focus lens. The lens that my surgeon offers is a newer multi-focal, doesn't require any training as it's continuous vision. He did say that there are lens that would be like a step in each focal point. He doesn't offer this so he never discussed with me.

He had a chart that showed the differences. The lens I have is on top, it shows that it's just a smooth continuous transition from near to far. The other lens in the middle has designated focal points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inlineimage-articledetailpage-lensoptions_0.jpg (278.2 KB, 28 views)