Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't read the whole thread, but is anybody using the cheap ones the OP posted about? Something you just buy and use without an exam? My Dad could use them but there's no way I could get him to an exam. He's a veteran but has never used the benefits. So any over the counter types that work somewhat?
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
I open the battery doors at night because I want my cellphone to ring if a call comes through. It wouldn't have been an issue before we got rid of the home phone, but now cell phones are our only connection.

I get about 2.5 days out of a pair of batteries. But, as you say, the batteries are cheap. I don't worry about it -- but I do have batteries stashed in the car, my purse, and my office.

I assume you are using smaller aids that use 312 size batteries.
I went with aids that use the larger #13 batteries. I change my batteries every 6-7 days. I wear them from 6-12 usually and open the doors and put them in a dryer every night. I don’t mind the slightly larger size aids but I am a fairly larger guy.
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco recently re-tested my 5 year old (now discontinued) hearing aids, adjusted them, cleaned them, told me how many hours I had on them (lots and lots), and then sent me on my way for FREE. How many hearing aid places would do that?
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
I get about 2.5 days out of a pair of batteries. But, as you say, the batteries are cheap. I don't worry about it -- but I do have batteries stashed in the car, my purse, and my office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
I went with aids that use the larger #13 batteries. I change my batteries every 6-7 days. I wear them from 6-12 usually and open the doors and put them in a dryer every night. I don’t mind the slightly larger size aids but I am a fairly larger guy.
My Cosco HA's use the smaller 312 batteries and I open them (turn them off) every night. I wear them about 14 hours a day and batteries last about five days. A $9 48-pack of batteries lasts me 4 months.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Autocorrect strikes again!!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Autocorrect strikes again!!
Maybe not.

I use a dryer similar to this, and Murph probably does as well: Electronic Kapak Ultra Violet C clean hearing aid dryer and dehumidifier automatic dry case
Old 10-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #67

I'll be darned. I never heard of them, and my audiologist never mentioned them. Thanks.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Didn't read the whole thread, but is anybody using the cheap ones the OP posted about? Something you just buy and use without an exam? My Dad could use them but there's no way I could get him to an exam. He's a veteran but has never used the benefits. So any over the counter types that work somewhat?
Read the beginning part of the thread. No exam needed, it's similar to buying reading glasses at the gas station, cheap, easy, and if you find it makes it better for you, then it works.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Is anyone familiar with TruHearing and United Healthcare's hearing aid benefit? I am in the process of going on Medicare (as of Sunday). In my area, MVP offers both free and $124/mo Medicare Advantage plans with hearing aid benefits offered through TruHearing. I signed up for the better plan because the co-pay on hearing aids was $200 less per ear than the free plan and I only need to be on it for two months in 2020. They offer two levels of hearing aids, the audiologist I met with last week in preparation for going on the plan suggested the better one and said that the units they sell (which are rebranded) are very good. That would cost me $799 per ear. I could get the cheaper ones for $499 per ear. Sadly, neither unit supports Android phones without an extra charge accessory.

United Healthcare's plan is confusing because they just tell you a co-pay range ($375-2000 per ear, I believe) but don't tell you what the units are.

I looked into Costco but their units do not mask tinnitus, which I have and would like to address (I've checked with them multiple times). That was actually the reason I first went to an audiologist a few years ago and was surprised to find that she found mild-moderate hearing loss. I didn't get hearing aids at the time because my insurance did not cover them and it didn't bother me enough to spend big bucks on. Now that I'll have coverage through my Medicare Advantage plan I figure it's a good time to do something about it.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
They work. Sort of. A lot of wind noise when outside. Not greatest sound quality. But they do work.
I ordered the cheapest Audien's and they tried up selling, a day later I got an email saying for that the cheapest ones are out of stock and for free they're upgrading me to the top of the line. Im betting anyone that orders the cheapest gets the top of the line.
The recharged are easy to use and the battery holds its charge.
For $75 its worth a try for your Dad. 30 day returns if he doesnt like them.
https://audienhearing.com/pages/ev1
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Have been a hearing aid wearer for 40 plus years. I say this whole heartedly - don't skimp on the cost. Somethings you get what you paid for, HAs are one. I have been very pleased with my Costco's KS9 - I think $1600 a pair. Digital, bluetooth. The staff is great. You can try and decide after 90 days. Highly recommend. Hearing is like good food, some things are worth the cost. Outside of Costo, TruHearing has great prices and service. Be careful with a lot of HA Specialty stores, just very very expensive for the same hearing aids from TruHearing (you can Google for a price list). Good luck.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote