Chickenpox outbreak breaks out in NC

I didn’t even know there was a vaccine for this. One of my kids got it twice. Of course my kids were long grown by the time it came out. Shingles is really nasty. DH has scars from it and it was close to his eye. Here the vaccine is consistently sold out. I can’t get it because I am allergic to one of the ingredients.

An effective vaccine is available, but kids aren't getting it. I wonder if they'll take the shingles vaccine when they get older.

Their parents needed a vaccine to prevent stunningly willful ignorance and the abdication of social responsibility.

Herd immunity is really a big deal. Everyone is affected by it, and money or religion won't help.

In the instance in this article, the 11 month old was too young to get the CP vaccination yet, so he had to depend upon the herd immunity, which did not exist in his household.

From the article, Sept 2018: "Doctors believe that the baby’s stroke was caused by a complication relating to the chickenpox, which they think he must have contracted from a sibling. The boy, along with his two older siblings who were not vaccinated for the virus, contracted the chickenpox two to three months before he woke up with weakness on his right side."

https://allthatsinteresting.com/baby-stroke-chickenpox-vaccine

The Big Shot celebrities who bad mouthed vaccines will have a lot to answer for in the next few decades.

There is a lot bad science in the field of human health and the anti-vaccine crowd is a big part of the problem, IMHO.

Last edited:
I wonder when they will have a polio outbreak.

I was thinking about that too when I saw the article a few days ago. I grew up in a era that included a time before a polio vaccine was available; several people I knew contracted it and it wasn't pretty. The Salk vaccine became available when I was in Jr. High School and I remember my father, who detested standing in lines, insisted that we all stand in line to get it. That put a punctuation mark on how important he thought it was.

The parents who chose not to vaccinate think vaccines cause autism even though that hypothesis has been scientifically disproved over and over again

Herd immunity is really a big deal. Everyone is affected by it, and money or religion won't help.
The anti-vaccine movement is interesting in that it is endorsed by sub groups on both sides of the political equation.

Yes, all are affected, and there are strange bedfellows in this camp.

The parents who chose not to vaccinate think vaccines cause autism even though that hypothesis has been scientifically disproved over and over again
It's very sad. I see young people posting on sites asking questions about how they can get vaccinated as their parents are antivax.

I was thinking about that too when I saw the article a few days ago. I grew up in a era that included a time before a polio vaccine was available; several people I knew contracted it and it wasn't pretty. The Salk vaccine became available when I was in Jr. High School and I remember my father, who detested standing in lines, insisted that we all stand in line to get it. That put a punctuation mark on how important he thought it was.
Funny, but my siblings and in-laws were talking about this just last evening.

Someone in the family is antivax and there is concern for the kids. Turns out the kids are being vaccinated by the spouse over the other's objections, so it should be OK.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to polio, and the impact it had on these older siblings. For me, I remember it only through a cousin who had a limp that never went away. However, they remember the panics at the pools, and having neighborhood kids be paralyzed. The vaccine was true wonder and life saving.

Memories are short.

Apparently there's a notable measles outbreak developing in Europe, which some officials are blaming on the antivax movement. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/11/24/669228140/the-story-behind-the-worst-measles-outbreak-in-the-european-union

I volunteer as an archivist in a local history museum, and one of our duties is to read through old newspapers for pertinent articles. Yesterday I stumbled across an item in a 1925 newspaper that reported 25 deaths in our fairly rural county the prior year from tuberculosis. I recall as a kid that a classmate's mother had been treated in a TB sanitarium. Even in high school in the '60s, I recall receiving a skin test for the disease. I wonder if those tests are given out in schools now?

Vaccination has made TB a rare disease in North America, but worldwide 25% of the population is infected, according to the WHO (only a fraction of cases become full-blown). Considering the antibiotic-resistant strains that have mutated, it's a scary prospect that people wouldn't get immunized against such a disease.

Apparently there's a notable measles outbreak developing in Europe, which some officials are blaming on the antivax movement. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/11/24/669228140/the-story-behind-the-worst-measles-outbreak-in-the-european-union

Vaccination has made TB a rare disease in North America, but worldwide 25% of the population is infected, according to the WHO (only a fraction of cases become full-blown). Considering the antibiotic-resistant strains that have mutated, it's a scary prospect that people wouldn't get immunized against such a disease.
Probably the decrease in TB in the US has little to do with the vaccine, BCG, which operates on an entirely different principle than for example measles or polio or most other routine US vaccines. Relatively few US-born people have had or will ever get this vaccine or any other currently known anti-TB vaccine. It is not routinely suggested in the US or UK.

Sanitation and better living conditions have done most of the heavy lifting against TB in the US.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/bcg-tuberculosis-tb-vaccine/

Ha

Last edited:
Probably the decrease in TB in the US has little to do with the vaccine, BCG, which operates on an entirely different principle than for example measles or polio or most other routine US vaccines. Relatively few US-born people have had or will ever get this vaccine or any other currently known anti-TB vaccine. It is not routinely suggested in the US or UK.

Sanitation and better living conditions have done most of the heavy lifting against TB in the US.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/bcg-tuberculosis-tb-vaccine/

Ha

Good information, thanks.

I remember getting a 'tine' test when I entered college in the early 60s to determine if I had been exposed to TB. Some of my classmates from abroad had received a TB vaccine so tested positive. They had to provide proof of vaccination.

My children were not tested for TP when they entered college.

Back
Top Bottom