Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Warm knee
Old 11-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #201
Recycles dryer sheets

Warm knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks to my knee replacement I no longer need to use my coffee cup warmer. I balance the cup on my surgical knee which runs noticeably warmer than my other knee. And it’s always with me.
I notice the same regarding the warmth. It’s unclear whether this ever goes away. It actually seems to run a bit cooler after a long recumbent bike session. I’m now at about 19 weeks post op.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't written much lately, because there hasn't been much to write about.

Six months past my the TKR and I am walking normally. A 3-4 mile walk or hike is not a problem. My surgical knee does have small pains here and there, once in a while, but then so does my other knee. From time to time the knee will feel a bit stiff surrounding the joint, but it is not a problem, more of a "Hey, remember me? I'm still not quite 100% and probably never will be." Well, what else is new? Most of the time I don't even think about my knee.

The big problem I have is regaining my strength. It seems that my hip muscles weakened quite a bit during the 2-3 months when I could not do much physical activity.

Apparently, my abductor muscles are not doing their part thus causing me some back pain and reducing my ability to balance on one foot. I found a new PT guy who has me on a routine to strengthen the abductors. I am also working on stretching, since I feel very 'bound up' at times. This was true even before the surgery.

One of the biggest problems I have is that I can't kneel. It feels weird, very weird. It's amazing how many daily tasks are done easier when one can kneel for 30 seconds.

As I have written in other places, I am not an athlete or a gym rat, but it is obvious that an exercise plan is necesary until the the light go out and I meet my maker.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I

The big problem I have is regaining my strength. It seems that my hip muscles weakened quite a bit during the 2-3 months when I could not do much physical activity.

Apparently, my abductor muscles are not doing their part thus causing me some back pain and reducing my ability to balance on one foot. I found a new PT guy who has me on a routine to strengthen the abductors. I am also working on stretching, since I feel very 'bound up' at times. This was true even before the surgery.

One of the biggest problems I have is that I can't kneel. It feels weird, very weird. It's amazing how many daily tasks are done easier when one can kneel for 30 seconds.

As I have written in other places, I am not an athlete or a gym rat, but it is obvious that an exercise plan is necesary until the the light go out and I meet my maker.

This was definitely the last thing that came back for me, actually took over a year to where I felt comfortable kneeling. It still feels "weird".

Anyhoo, glad to hear from you, some times the mantra "no news is good news" is true.

I'm up next with a tkr on my right knee scheduled for 2/24. I'm hoping I'll be a better patient since I have some idea what to expect. I hoping at least to be able to enjoy the summer without a regiment of pain killers.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I haven't written much lately, because there hasn't been much to write about.

Six months past my the TKR and I am walking normally. A 3-4 mile walk or hike is not a problem. My surgical knee does have small pains here and there, once in a while, but then so does my other knee. From time to time the knee will feel a bit stiff surrounding the joint, but it is not a problem, more of a "Hey, remember me? I'm still not quite 100% and probably never will be." Well, what else is new? Most of the time I don't even think about my knee.

Any warmth remaining? I can’t kneel either. I’m at 8 months.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98 View Post
Any warmth remaining? I can’t kneel either. I’m at 8 months.
Yes, the surgical knee still runs warmer though it's not as easy to detect as it was just two months ago. I can tell the difference when I place a hand on each knee. It's much more noticeable it after some activity. If I am inactive for any length of time, the temperature difference seems trivial to me. But, it is there.

FWIW, I read that that at the cellular level (get out your microscope) it takes two full years for the bones to completely heal.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Six months past my the TKR and I am walking normally. A 3-4 mile walk or hike is not a problem.
Wonderful! I am five months past mine, and walking normally (for me!) too. I can't walk miles like you can, but I couldn't for years before the surgery either, due to the serious mobility problems my bad knee caused. TBH I am not trying to walk long distances yet. I am building up my leg muscles and working on my gait, which by now is just about back to normal. That makes me happy. I love being able to walk from the parking lot into my gym, and walking inside the big rooms inside the gym, and standing there for 10-15 minutes to chat with my gym friends before working out, all without a cane or walker. That said, it's hard to get out of the habit of sitting too much, after all these years. I forget that I can walk around and do things now, just like "normal people".

Quote:
My surgical knee does have small pains here and there, once in a while, but then so does my other knee. From time to time the knee will feel a bit stiff surrounding the joint, but it is not a problem, more of a "Hey, remember me? I'm still not quite 100% and probably never will be." Well, what else is new? Most of the time I don't even think about my knee.
Both of my knees hurt a little bit now and then, about equally. I think it is because I am slowly increasing my activity level and also because I am not young any more. This minor pain doesn't slow me down or really bother me, and even this little bit of pain seems to be diminishing as I get stronger. I don't need to take Tylenol any more to go to sleep.

F just bought a new-to-him 2018 Ford Fiesta, which is pretty tiny and low to the ground, and I was thrilled to discover that getting in and out of the Fiesta is surprisingly easy and pain free.

Quote:
The big problem I have is regaining my strength.
Me too! I have been going to the gym three times a week, to build my leg muscles back up. Just got back from the gym a few minutes ago. I feel wonderful now that my legs are growing stronger but it takes a long time. If/when I am not cautious I over-do at the gym, and that sets my progress back for a few days and I have to go from there. I am trying to be more careful about that and to learn how much I can and can't do.

Despite how long it is taking to build my leg muscles back up, even now I can do so much more than I ever expected.

Quote:
It seems that my hip muscles weakened quite a bit during the 2-3 months when I could not do much physical activity.

Interesting about the back pain! I have been having some back pain this week, too. I'll read about the role of the abductors in all of this.

I don't feel 'bound up', but then I didn't before the surgery either.
Quote:
I am not expecting to ever kneel again, but from what bclover said above, maybe I will! I'd love to be proven wrong in that respect.

Quote:
As I have written in other places, I am not an athlete or a gym rat, but it is obvious that an exercise plan is necessary until the the light go out and I meet my maker.
+1
I am so glad to read that your recovery is coming along this nicely. As for me, I am ecstatic with how much better my knee is these days (compared with how horrible it was before surgery). As I told my surgeon at my last appointment, the improvement in quality of life for me is phenomenal.

My surgeon said my other knee is pretty bad too, but honestly it feels better now that I don't have to rely upon it so much. I have a new knee that can do most of the work. So, I am tentatively thinking of not having the second surgery done. As you know, it's a rugged recovery and I don't want to go through that again unless it's really necessary. My surgeon said that if I change my mind, just call and schedule the surgery at that time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Two hips replaced here....but still have good knees!

Question I have of you folks with the knee replacements is are you ever going to be able to kneel on the replaced knee? Or is that a "no - no" going forward forever?
Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

My wife was in a wheel chair 2 years ago when we went to Europe on a repositioning cruise. She got a knee replacement upon our return.

When we went back to Europe last June, she was wanting to take the wheelchair again. Not because she needed it, but because she was treated so well going to the front of every line in the chair. I refused to take it. And she was able to handle subways including stairs.

It was somewhere around 7 months after her surgery that the knee suddenly ceased hurting at all. It just went "click" and the pain was over. She doesn't even think about the new knee now. And she walked 58 miles on her last European trip 10/2019 in 10 days.

But now she's through with going to and from airports on trains and subways/underground. She's wanting to take more taxi's and shuttles where we used to travel cheaper. I can live with that--since she's handling her carry on rolling bag.

Remember that icing down your knee helps for a long, long time. And my wife swears by Volteran gel and lidocaine lotion (across the counter) for anything that hurts.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 PM   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Question I have of you folks with the knee replacements is are you ever going to be able to kneel on the replaced knee? Or is that a "no - no" going forward forever?
Nobody ever told me I couldn't kneel if I felt like I could. So maybe later on. I don't think it would be comfortable right now. I could probably kneel on a pillow, but I have no reason to. Also if I tried that, I'd rather do it when F was over here to "rescue" me just in case I needed help. Maybe next winter.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #210
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

My SO had two knee replacements and He is able to kneel . He was able to kneel about two months post surgery .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My SO had two knee replacements and He is able to kneel . He was able to kneel about two months post surgery .
Thanks for the info. I'm just thinking ahead.....
Old 02-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Six months past my the TKR [...]One of the biggest problems I have is that I can't kneel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
This was definitely the last thing that came back for me, actually took over a year to where I felt comfortable kneeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am five months past mine [...] Nobody ever told me I couldn't kneel if I felt like I could. So maybe later on. I don't think it would be comfortable right now.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm just thinking ahead.....
Always good to think ahead! I hope you don't have to go through a total knee replacement.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Always good to think ahead! I hope you don't have to go through a total knee replacement.
Me too, but I never thought I would need hip implants. I guess all the long distance running I did for a decade or so is coming home to roost.

My cardio system is still great, but the joints are going. The knees still feel good, but one has arthritis and is somewhat stiff once in a while. No pain though.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #214

Chuckanuts Total Knee Replacement story

I’m walking an hour a ten every day -with hills. I have zero pain it has been at least 2 years now since I did the second one. I don’t kneel because it’s causes an awful sensation. Not pain mind you just oddly uncomfortable. The surgeon warned me.

I never forget or take for granted the pain my arthritic knees caused me pre surgery.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Six months past my the TKR and I am walking normally. A 3-4 mile walk or hike is not a problem.
I am very envious of you excellent results. I am over 20 months post-op on my hip replacement and I just tried walking one mile. I was limping significantly for more than half the walk. The pain is not the hip but rather the muscles/tendons in the outer mid-lower thigh. Congratulations on a good outcome, not everyone has one.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I am very envious of you excellent results. I am over 20 months post-op on my hip replacement and I just tried walking one mile. I was limping significantly for more than half the walk. The pain is not the hip but rather the muscles/tendons in the outer mid-lower thigh. Congratulations on a good outcome, not everyone has one.

I was told if you had a sports or Any injury before the surgery - your results might not be as good as those with plain old RA.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Here's as bit more follow up on what I have discovered since my surgery.

Apparently, while my surgical knee can bend just fine, I lost a good amount of flexibility in the hip and ankle of my previously bad leg. As a result some things are just not working as well as they should. I can really feel this when walking down hill, as my ankle and hip can bend enough to accommodate the slope thus causing my back to work harder than it should. I have a new PT guy who is torturing these parts back into shape.

I also found out that by having my stationary bike at the lowest level I am doing myself no further good to the knee. I have as much flex as I am going to get. By keeping the seat to low I am preventing the knee capsule from working as it should. The knee capsule is like a bellows, it has to open and close completely or it gets a bit stuck. Apparently, my knee needs to straighten out almost fully so as to get the knee capsule fully opening and closing as it should. Who knew?

Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #218
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a new PT guy who is torturing these parts back into shape.
Sounds like your PT guy is the sibling of my PT gal.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #219

Quote:
Knee replacement surgery is a major surgery that has a long painful recovery for most people. Fortunately, it is also commonly done with a high degree of success at the end point. But, the end point is often one to two years into the future. Perhaps others can learn a bit from what I have and will soon go through.

I know this post is a bit old but I must respectfully disagree. For both my knees it was 2 or 3 uncomfortable days. Not agony mind you just stiff lying on the couch or easy chair(you have pills). By the second surgery they had changed the protocol to off the opioids ASAP 2 Tylenol’s 3 times a day. Yeah there was some self administered unpleasant belly shots of anticoagulants for like two weeks. Then there was a month of hobbling, and pushing myself at PT. Within three months i was good to go and getting better every day. ‘There was no long painful recovery”
There was the shower chair.. the sock devise and a slower pace. The real pain were my 2 arthritic knees before surgery.

That was my experience.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

It's been a while.

I have gotten on with life and rarely think of the knee except when I find that I can't quite bend it as much as I would like to. Oh well.... Nothing is perfect.

My most routine knee issue has occured when I go in for routine dental care. For two years I have been taking antibiotics an hour before getting my teeth cleaned. One time I forgot and had to reschedule the cleaning, but the dentist did do the exam. I just had my last cleaning where antibiotics need to be taken. One less thing to do before I visit the dentist.

Apparently, the dental antibiotics remains a bit controversial. Some say they are completely unnecessary, others say take them for life. My surgeon settled on two years. I am not sure what is magical about two years.

Tags
knee surgery story