Join Early Retirement Today

Clearing the Body's Retired Cells Slows Aging, Extends Life
Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Clearing the Body's Retired Cells Slows Aging, Extends Life

If you clear senescent cells in mice, it increased their lifespans by a quarter and "as they got older, they lost less body fat, had healthier hearts and kidneys, developed fewer cataracts, and stayed more active. " There are adverse side-effects of removing those senescent cells though - wounds heal more slowly.

Naturally, the researchers founded Unity Biotechnology to "move the team’s senescence-clearing discoveries to the clinic." No word on when they expect to be on the market though. Any clinical volunteers?

Clearing the Body's Retired Cells Slows Aging, Extends Life - The Atlantic
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually, I likely will look into being a clinical volunteer for this at some point.

I have been interested in longevity research for over 30 years (never professionally); and, this avenue currently has the most promise in my opinion for the short term (basically, in time for me to get benefit).
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd seriously consider doing a trial for that, assuming they get as far as human testing. I suspect if you removed all the retired cells from my body not only would I seem younger, but I'd be half my current weight.