COBRA Question

AlmostDone

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone know if there is a required amount of time that you must work for a company before you are eligible for COBRA? I am planning to retire 3/31/08, but I would like to do some part time work in the not so nice weather. There are several 20 hour a week with benefits jobs that I could take. If I do that and leave after 4 or 5 months, would I be able to get COBRA again from that job?

Thanks!

If you are covered by the company's group plan, you will be eligible for COBRA (unless the employer is a small employer so it is not governed by federal COBRA law, or if you are fired for misconduct.)

Thanks for the replies. Cattusbabe, I did read that link before I asked the question. I can't find in there the specific scenario I'm interested in, but maybe I just missed it.

Martha, that is what I thought to be the case. It would be a chance to have seasonal work and to extend the time during which we could use COBRA and not have to go into the MD High Risk pool.

Thankyou both!

Hi AlmostDone:

I have no expertise to share but would like to know what KINDS of jobs are you finding that give you benefits for 20 hours per week?

I've not come across many in this neck of the woods...

thanks!

Caroline, the ones that I see most often and would not mind doing are receptionist and elder care giver at a very large assisted living place near us. I'm sure the pay would be pretty low, but I would be taking the job for the health insurance. They just say 20 hours a week with benefits - I have not inquired into how good those benefits are.

Hi AlmostDone:

I have no expertise to share but would like to know what KINDS of jobs are you finding that give you benefits for 20 hours per week?

I've not come across many in this neck of the woods...

thanks!

I have heard that working at Starbucks at least 20 hours a week gets you benefits.

Back
Top Bottom