Join Early Retirement Today

COBRA question
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

COBRA question

My megacorp insurance formally ends July 31 so I have a decision to make. The company will subsidize 50% for the first 6 months then goes to 100% for the remaining year.

Full premium is $1660 / mo. Excellent insurance. Medical,dental,vision,prescription, hearing aids, etc,etc,

My main question is can I go the first 6 months @ 50% then jump to ACA? It appears I will be over the ACA “cliff” this year and likely over in 2019 as well.

I ran a ACA scenario on healthsherpa.com and a silver plan runs $1396 for H & W. (No subsidy)

My FIRE budget for healthcare is $1900/mo including meds,copays,etc.

Hard to know what the ACA premiums will be for 2019 with all the stuff floating around in the news.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

Short answer is yes. You can dump COBRA and swap to ACA during the eoy enrollment period. So you can take it now, then decide in November if you want to continue full cobra in 2019 or jump to ACA in January for all of 2019.

It's a no brainer to take it now, since any deductibles won't carry over if you swapped mid-year. I stayed with cobra for the same reasons you mentioned, and also I don't have to worry about finding new providers till it runs out.

edited to correct prior mis-statement.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your recent ER!!
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can switch from COBRA to ACA under any one of these conditions:
1) ACA open enrollment
2) COBRA ends
3) COBRA costs change because the employer contribution stops

So your switchover dates would be January 1, 2019 for open enrollment; February 1, 2019 for the cost increase; January 1, 2020 for the next open enrollment; February 1, 2020 for end of COBRA eligibility.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Short answer is yes. You can dump COBRA and swap to ACA at any time as you become eligible once you no longer have insurance.
Incorrect. You can only “dump” COBRA during ACA marketplace open enrollment. However, you can start an ACA policy when COBRA expires even if it’s not during open enrollment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/unemployed/cobra-coverage/
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression I could drop cobra voluntarily and go ACA outside of enrollment based on research from 2 years ago but I guess I was wrong!

But, OP can take Cobra now, and then decide during enrollment if he wants to keep it for 2019 or swap to ACA. (I will edit my above post).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
My megacorp insurance formally ends July 31 so I have a decision to make. The company will subsidize 50% for the first 6 months then goes to 100% for the remaining year.

Full premium is $1660 / mo. Excellent insurance. Medical,dental,vision,prescription, hearing aids, etc,etc,

My main question is can I go the first 6 months @ 50% then jump to ACA? It appears I will be over the ACA “cliff” this year and likely over in 2019 as well.

I ran a ACA scenario on healthsherpa.com and a silver plan runs $1396 for H & W. (No subsidy)

My FIRE budget for healthcare is $1900/mo including meds,copays,etc.

Hard to know what the ACA premiums will be for 2019 with all the stuff floating around in the news.
I would carefully consider keeping the COBRA for the full duration. At the very least, compare the deductibles and max OOP, and consider the benefits of the dental, vision, hearing which you will likely lose with an ACA plan.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hypothetically using the example above, if the MAGI for 2018 was 150K and the 2019 is estimated to be $40K, would ACA calculate rates /subsidies based on 2018 or 2019 MAGI when enrolling for 2019?
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I would carefully consider keeping the COBRA for the full duration. At the very least, compare the deductibles and max OOP, and consider the benefits of the dental, vision, hearing which you will likely lose with an ACA plan.
And I believe once you move off COBRA you cannot go back to it. I was able to stay on it through DH’s megacorp as a retiree’s spouse until Medicare. Even though ACA came into existence then, we decided the extra cost balanced the uncertainty for us.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

This presents me something I hadn't considered. I will be retiring completely in October and planned to COBRA through the end of 2018 then consider options for 2019. I never thought about not being able to go off COBRA whenever I felt like it so I need to make that decision during open enrollment. I know I won't be getting any subsidy. Hmm, better revise my thinking.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeee View Post
Hypothetically using the example above, if the MAGI for 2018 was 150K and the 2019 is estimated to be $40K, would ACA calculate rates /subsidies based on 2018 or 2019 MAGI when enrolling for 2019?
2019 for sure, but you will probably have to show some documentation on how you arrive at your estimates.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

I never did Cobra. It was very expensive. I went with the ACA. I am hoping to at some point get on my old companies retiree health plan. I'm still researching when/if I will be eligible and if it will be worth it to switch. It may/may not be worth it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #13

Same here, got unsubsidized ACA back in 2015 (was a LOT cheaper then) instead of COBRA because ACA Bronze plan was cheaper than unsubsidized COBRA. Then switched to heavily subsidized Silver ACA plan in 2016 until now, plan on doing same for 2019. This is harder for a new ER to do now because unsubsidized ACA plans are stupid expensive here.

My Megacorp retiree plan is also unsubsidized and therefore expensive, it will only be used as a fallback if the ACA implodes. It's quite a bit cheaper than an unsubsidized ACA Bronze plan now.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
2019 for sure, but you will probably have to show some documentation on how you arrive at your estimates.
Can you skip jumping through their hoops and just true it up at tax time? In other words pay full freight during the year and collect subsidy as a refund when you do you taxes the following April? Assuming you stay on the right side of the cliff?
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #15

I never used COBRA, signed up for ACA since it was a lot cheaper, and we don't use a lot of medical services. The difference in premium cost was enough to cover the out of pocket max of my ACA plan.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Can you skip jumping through their hoops and just true it up at tax time? In other words pay full freight during the year and collect subsidy as a refund when you do you taxes the following April? Assuming you stay on the right side of the cliff?
That is certainly doable.

Of course that equates to giving them an interest-free loan.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
That's rather generous!

The only times I have used COBRA, I paid 102% immediately.

The most recent time I used COBRA as a bridge to the ACA open enrollment date. Once in the new year, our ACA plan was significantly cheaper than COBRA (even cheaper than what I paid as an employee) due to subsidies and had a much lower deductible for the same coverage.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

+1
Many people do it this way if don't know specifically how much their MAGI will be.
I decide my MAGI for the next year at ACA enrollment time, since it is only related to withdrawing from my TIRA.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Many people do it this way if don't know specifically how much their MAGI will be.
I decide my MAGI for the next year at ACA enrollment time, since it is only related to withdrawing from my TIRA.
If I do go ACA for 2019, I will stay off the cliff but I can’t imagine how I would demonstrate what MAGI will be. It will mostly come from Roth conversions or capital gains during the year.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
If I do go ACA for 2019, I will stay off the cliff but I can’t imagine how I would demonstrate what MAGI will be. It will mostly come from Roth conversions or capital gains during the year.
I have been on ACA for 2 years now. In 2017, I withdrew from my 401k early in Jan and showed the proof. In 2018, I did do a Roth conversion again in early 2018 and showed the proof.

Each year they wanted the proof by late Feb/early Mar. Unfortunately I don't have the experience of how one would prove capital gains upfront (as one can't).

Possibly, you should speak to a supervisor in Healthcare.gov for some advice.
They do respond to questions all year long and you can't be the first example of a capital gains MAGI source.