Join Early Retirement Today

COBRA question
Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

COBRA question

I am retiring on March 29th. I got a letter from HR that said my benefits would cease that day and that I would be mailed COBRA sign up forms in about two to three weeks. I asked the HR person what about the intrim three weeks or so inbetween March 29th and my eventual signup. She said I have to pay my own medical bills for that period, and once covered, I get reimbursed. Has anyone who had been on COBRA experienced this? I assume this is the norm? Any COBRA advice appreciated. My wife is a two times cancer survivor so this is very important to me. Thanks very much,
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

This is normal, though it's possible you might be able to call your cobra providers to move it up a bit. My MC was very Mega, so it was a same day phone call/sign up. No lag.

But I did wait a week or three and shop around. Because, yes, when you do sign up for cobra, it is retro active to the date you left your MC (or the end of the month in some cases, where your regular employer coverage lasts till month end...not much difference in your case).

I remember asking what happened if I had an issue in the "gap" and got the same answer, that cobra would kick in and cover all once I signed up and paid.

In your case, if there's no way to tighten the gap, maybe book a check up before month end, get any prescription refills squared away, just to be on the extra safe side?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, as Aerides indicated, this is normal. One other option is that you have is getting health insurance through the ACA. Separation of employment is a qualifying event. Check that out as an option. It may be less expensive than COBRA.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is why I always scheduled my last days on my various jobs at the first of the month vs. the last. That way, I was covered for the full month. Once I was laid off and by procrastinating buying COBRA I was able to go without coverage until I got my new job. I figured if I got hit by a beer truck in the interim I would retroactively choose coverage. I've forgotten the time you can go, but it's surely in the package you'll get upon termination.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Change your term date to April 1, then you’ll get coverage for all of April.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You probably won't have to pay any medical bills.

I was on my wifes plan until Jan 4th this year. Then we went COBRA. There was a period of time that United Health Care rejected payments - until the first COBRA check was cashed. The providers, without exception, all resubmitted their claims - and all claims were processed. I wasn't involved at all in this, it all just happened.

All you'll have to do it tell your provider (dr) to resubmit the claim after they cash your COBRA check.

I had more than 24,000$ billed to me in January (ER visit being the most costly part of that) and most were rejected - resubmitted - and then paid out as normal. I think medical providers are very used to this and just resubmit without question.
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It should not be a big deal as most providers seem to be aware of this. I had a scheduled doctor visit postponed, due to a change in the doctors schedule, into the month after my retirement during the COBRA "gap". I explained to the office they might encounter an issue when they submitted to my insurance. They said not to worry, they were familiar with this COBRA procedure, if anything bounced back they would just wait and resubmit. This practice does not bill me for any co-pay until after they pass it thru insurance.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You will also probably get the COBRA information packet from a third party that your Corp. hires to handle this.

Both my sister and I got our COBRA stuff from the same vendor, completely different corporations.

I will say the forms from this vendor (forgot the name) were incredibly arcane with extremely small and voluminous print. Make sure got get new glasses before quitting, or at least the next power up on your reading glasses.

By the way, I got the forms about 18 days after separation, so, yeah, 2 to 3 weeks sounds right.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You will also probably get the COBRA information packet from a third party that your Corp. hires to handle this.

Both my sister and I got our COBRA stuff from the same vendor, completely different corporations.

I will say the forms from this vendor (forgot the name) were incredibly arcane with extremely small and voluminous print. Make sure got get new glasses before quitting, or at least the next power up on your reading glasses.

By the way, I got the forms about 18 days after separation, so, yeah, 2 to 3 weeks sounds right.
Indeed, we scanned our form and used a PDF editor to fill in the blanks. First and foremost to make sure our writing was readable, and secondly to be able to read it in the first place.

And the COBRA people don't make it easy. At least not ours.

NO online payment possible. must mail a physical check.

NO warning about a missed payment, if they do not receive the check by the end of month, you are cut off and cannot restart.

NO system to see where/what you've paid up for. We just mail the check and then watch to make sure it cleared in a reasonable amount of time. We mail on the 1st of the month and it takes a good two weeks - at least - for them to process the check. We are watching to make sure we don't have to overnight a payment to them during the last week of the month.

It is almost as if they want you to fall off the rolls, and get kicked out of the program. It was very much like going back to the 1970's/early 80's as far as applying and paying for it all. Been a long time since I've kept track of cancelled checks as a method of ensuring somethings been paid.
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGuy42 View Post
Indeed, we scanned our form and used a PDF editor to fill in the blanks. First and foremost to make sure our writing was readable, and secondly to be able to read it in the first place.

And the COBRA people don't make it easy. At least not ours.

NO warning about a missed payment, if they do not receive the check by the end of month, you are cut off and cannot restart.

NO system to see where/what you've paid up for. We just mail the check and then watch to make sure it cleared in a reasonable amount of time. We mail on the 1st of the month and it takes a good two weeks - at least - for them to process the check. We are watching to make sure we don't have to overnight a payment to them during the last week of the month.

It is almost as if they want you to fall off the rolls, and get kicked out of the program. It was very much like going back to the 1970's/early 80's as far as applying and paying for it all. Been a long time since I've kept track of cancelled checks as a method of ensuring somethings been paid.
Exactly!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
This does not always work. My last day with my MC was the 10th; my coverage ended that day without cobra.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #12

If you're comparing costs, be sure to include the deductible on both COBRA and alternatives (eg: ACA) as it's pretty typical for your existing company HC plan to have a LOT lower deductibles than you can ever hope to find on the "A"CA..

For example - I have a "high" deductible corporate plan, with a $1,500 deductible. That's actually good, as the best "A"CA PPO Plan I can find is $6,500 (!!) per person deductible.

Thank heavens I can stay on COBRA for 18 months and plan to. Net, it is less expensive than the "A"CA..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Our COBRA was less than any of the ACA plans with better coverage. We set up automatic payments that they drew from our checking account. DW is also a cancer survivor and we weren’t going to take any chances.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Our COBRA was less than any of the ACA plans with better coverage. We set up automatic payments that they drew from our checking account. DW is also a cancer survivor and we weren’t going to take any chances.
Ditto that. The "A"CA plans are generally horrible compared to corporate-sponsored HC - even if you have to pay (generally through the nose) to continue coverage via COBRA.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

One more important thing about COBRA: you do not restart a deductible balance. It carries over. If you had anything going on in the first three months of the year that built up a deductible, you want to take that with you.

My Megacorp has a retiree buy in. The cost per month is similar to COBRA, actually slightly less for a higher co-insurance. Megacorp gives options like: 1) Take COBRA now, sign up for retiree later; 2) Take Retiree now; 3) Decline

I asked why the 1 and 2 options? Looks like #2 makes the most sense because getting to co-insurance isn't a usual event in most years. Megacorp benefits said it was because of the deductible reset.

Ah, makes sense. Most people take COBRA until year end, then start retiree at the year start with a fresh deductible.

As for ACA, the cost in my state is pretty high with lousy networks of doctors. Look at the network! Same insurance company has special networks for ACA compared to their other plans. Their other plans have generously wide doctor networks. The ACA has a limited and focused network. None of my doctors were in it.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
That's exactly what I did three years ago.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
That's exactly what I did three years ago.
Depends on the plan. Most terminate at the end of the month of termination. But there are exceptions to this as Aerides above pointed out.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGuy42 View Post

When we were on COBRA there was a payment option of credit card, which I used to get immediate confirmation. The surcharge was more than covered by the 2% rewards.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We also had the check only situation for payment. The COBRA administrator did not take credit cards at all. However they were willing to do an automatic bank draft - I was uncomfortable with that option.
orchid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Only my first COBRA payment had to be done by check. The subsequent ones they deduct directly from my pension, so no payment issues.