Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is the Areopress kind of like the infamous plunger coffee ?? I believe this is also known as a French Press coffee maker.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles View Post
Read the spiel at the website. I think the main reason for the low
acid is the very short amount of time (30 sec) that the hot water is
in contact with the coffee, and the very uniform exposure of the
grounds to the water. And the unorthodox lower temp of
water recommended - although of course one can experiment
and use whatever water temp you choose.

The pH test would be very interesting.
googling I did find some references to pH tests (but by the inventor, I'd like to see an independent test. But, I suppose the combination of those things could have an effect.

I'm curious if I'd like the coffee though. Some acidity is part of the coffee experience.

I've also had some cold press coffee that seemed very smooth/mild. Maybe that is low in acid also?

As far as press coffee and chol, I don't drink it that often (drip every day though), and there are bigger things to worry about, IMO.

Glad you found a coffee system that works for you. Sure beats going w/o!

hmmm, wonder what he means by 1/5th the acid? pH is on a logarithmic scale IIRC ....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #23

According to my spiffy book I mentioned earlier, it says the ph of the food isn't always the ph of how your body metabolizes it...it's the ph of the urine after your body metabolizes it. Anyway, it says coffee, tea and chocolate are acidifying because of their "purine" content. What the heck is purine?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #24

I just looked it up in wiki...tooo deeep for me. I'll just read around all those big words!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #25

purine is what comes out after you have eaten some cat food and a bowl of milk. This is a common syndrome for under capitalized ER's
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #26

Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #27

When my acid first hit full-force, I thought I was having a heart attack. Some serious burning and pain going on. Nexium helped a lot. But, I was surprised how addicted to coffee I was. I was able to cut all the foods/spices that the MD suggested I remove from my diet. But, after a few months, I was cheating with the coffee. What I found to be helpful was Trader Joe's Low Acid French Roast. Cut in the morning, cup in the early afternoon was fine. Couldn't do any more than that without feeling pain. The low acid coffee isn't quite as good as regular coffee, but it's good enough. I don't think low acid and decaf are synonomous.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #28

Here's a link that talks about low acid coffee and mentions Trader Joe's low acid coffee....way at the bottom.

http://www.coffeereview.com/article.cfm?ID=9
Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But seriously, has anyone noticed that the acid reflux epidemic seems to line up along the same timeline as the Starbucks craze?
I think it lines up with the aging of the baby boomers, and, though not in the case of anybody on this forum, the general population's weight gain.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #30

I tried a can of Folgers Simply Smooth coffee. It is supposed to be easier on the stomach by choosing certain beans and roasting a different way.

I can't say that I really like it though. The first pot i brewed came out really weak tasting so after that I doubled the amount of coffee I used to get it to taste right.

I don't think that I will buy it again. But if you are having problems with coffee you might want to give it a try.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #31

Well, Happy 2B, some can of coffee has to be way down towards the bottom. Anyhow, thanks, I will try to find some of the low acid coffees listed higher up.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #32

This is great, I'm learning about inexpensive wines and low-acid coffees. Anybody have any idea about a solid investment that returns 20-25% a year?

Ah, maybe wine and coffee is what it's all about, anyway.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
I had a problem with acid reflux for years - and coffee did seem to make it worse. What I found out, much later, that sleep apnea was causing the majority of my reflux. When someone snores and your airway get's blocked it causes a rush sudden reflux from the suction. Since my cpap treament began (cpap machine) - I have not had a nightime reflux episode in two years.

Anyone else experienced this?
I also have acid reflux. It use to be extremely bad even using daily prescription medication. Three years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and went on a CPAP. Thinking back, I have not had the bad episodes with the reflux since going onto the CPAP.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Is the Areopress kind of like the infamous plunger coffee ?? I believe this is also known as a French Press coffee maker.
No, it's not. Go look at the website or google 'aeropress'.

One difference it is uses a paper filter, hence addressing the
harmful-oils issue (it ain't cholesterol exactly, 'cause that only
comes from animal sources). Advantage over cone filters is
they're tiny and you can re-use them several times. But the
main advantage is taste.

If the coffee is too non-acidic for you, you can always use
hotter water and/or let it stir longer before pressing.
JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've also had some cold press coffee that seemed very smooth/mild. Maybe that is low in acid also?
Supposedly the cold-brew coffee is much gentler on the stomach. I've tried it (wasn't bad at all!), but I don't have too many stomach acid problems (a few, not too bad though).

I mainly drink iced coffee when I do drink coffee. I strongly recommend the cold brewing method.
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #36

My acid reflux is directly related to my weight. At 165 I have none, at 185 I have it daily. I verify this cause and effect every couple of years.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
My acid reflux is directly related to my weight. At 165 I have none, at 185 I have it daily. I verify this cause and effect every couple of years.
I'm 5'4" and weigh about 108, so weight isn't it for me. I think it's time to go see a doc. It's driving me nuts.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #38

One week without coffee now, and my withdrawl headaches are finally gone! I still had some bad reflux the other night and woke up with a sore sternum, so I decided to do some more research. I found this regimen:

Acid Reflux

and here's another good site:

February 2005 Fibromyalgia-chronicfatigue.info

The first night after trying the DGL and "Acid Ease" Plant enzymes, I had no heartburn! ...First night in over a week! I am very excited, and I will continue the regimen for 8 weeks, and then I'll let you all know how it goes. The DGL tablets taste disgusting, but they really are soothing to your stomach.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote