Coffee is good even up to 25 cups a day

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So says some researchers.
"
Some previous studies have suggested that coffee stiffens arteries, putting pressure on the heart and increasing the likelihood of a heart attack or stroke, with drinkers warned to cut down their consumption.
But a new study of more than 8,000 people across the UK found that drinking five cups a day, and even up to 25, was no worse for the arteries than drinking less than a cup a day.
The research, part-funded by the British Heart Foundation (BHF), is being presented at the British Cardiovascular Society conference in Manchester."

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...offee-a-day-safe-for-heart-health-study-finds

I drink 2 to 3 on some days, none some other days. Guess I am in the safe zone of coffee consumption.

I hope they are right!

I have cut back to one cup (well, 10-oz mug) of coffee every morning, but I am not happy when I try to eliminate that one cup.

I would drink and enjoy every one of those 5-25 cups of coffee daily that the article mentions, but more than one cup (or ANY coffee after noon) interferes with my sleep. In my case it's not my heart, but my slumber that governs how much coffee I can drink.

When I was young, I could drink very strong coffee and go right to sleep. Somehow that capability vanished as I got older.

I drink half a pot - down from 3/4 when I worked. Wine makes up the difference. Still need all that water consumption.

DH can’t handle the caffeine, and I weaned off of caffeine a couple of years ago due to an elimination diet and wasn’t willing to dependent again. So we became a decaf household, and don’t drink it daily anymore. It’s more the occasional treat.

Coffee may also fight mental disease like Alzheimers.

As much as I want this to be true, I must say may because the field of human health is full of bad science. And the media's reporting on science is even worse, IMHO.

I notice many seniors sucking down coffee like crazy! I always figured it must be good for them.

I have never found the taste for coffee, but I do get my caffiene fix with 1 Pepsi Max a day for lunch. I drink alot of water, and still enjoy a glass of milk occasionally, and about 4 beers a week.

I can't imagine 25 cups of anything, THAT would be an addiction.

As much as I want this to be true, I must say may because the field of human health is full of bad science. And the media's reporting on science is even worse, IMHO.
Nutritional epidemiology is indeed a crapshoot. The person who reported drinking 25 cups a day is an outlier at best, and quite possibly a fantasist. And the study was not capable of detecting the effects of everybody drinking 25 cups.

Also, all this study says is that drinking an above-average amount of coffee will not harden your arteries. It doesn't tell us how all it might affect you in several hundred other ways. (FWIW, I suspect that the true effects of coffee on health are utterly trivial either way across the population.)

In my 20's I routinely drank about 5-6 cups a day, including 2 or 3 in the afternoon. At some point I started getting weird dreams at night, and difficulty falling back to sleep. I cut back to 2 or 3 cups, and only in the morning, and continue that to this day.
I can't imagine what 25 cups a day would be like, or even 10 for that matter. I still enjoy my morning coffee (I've heard of caffeine addiction) but anything to excess is likely unhealthy in other ways.

I doubt most people drink 25 cups of fluid combined per day. 25 eight ounce cups is nearly 6 liters. That said I do think the fear of coffee is overblown, that most people who don't have a very low tolerance for caffeine could drink more. Also some don't appreciate that it is a natural product where the amount of caffeine can vary a lot depending on the source. A lower quality (priced) coffee with a mix of Robusta generally has a higher caffeine content.

More likely due to senior discounts.:D

Oh I see them sucking it down at home (standing outside drinking coffee in the mornings), sucking it down at the clubhouse where it’s free. It doesn’t seem to matter if the coffee is marginal in flavor. Seems whenever it’s available.

yeah but in the UK a cup of coffee is 1/2-3/4 milk.

I notice many seniors sucking down coffee like crazy! I always figured it must be good for them.

Both my Mom and Dad drank 5+ cups of coffee a day for as long as I could remember and they lived to 81 and 90, without too many ailments. But, Mom did have dementia, so the coffee didn't help with that.

I like coffee, but 3 cups a day is good for me. But, during high school, I often hung out w/ friends at Waffle House for hours at a time...drinking that stuff by the gallon! :D

Oh I see them sucking it down at home (standing outside drinking coffee in the mornings), sucking it down at the clubhouse where it’s free. It doesn’t seem to matter if the coffee is marginal in flavor. Seems whenever it’s available.

It's free for seniors at Whataburger too! :cool:

The ROMEO group I meet with daily (almost) is at Burger King, where we pay $0.54 for a coffee with free refills. Sometimes, we just get all cups for free (depending on the mood of the owner :LOL:).

Ethnocentric with a large dose of Finn - coffee pot was on from morning till evening. Now at age 75 maybe two cups in the morning and sometimes an afternoon cup.

heh heh heh - DW Missouri farm raised says mine isn't coffee - colored water. She makes a 'strong' pot of coffee - way stronger than mine. :flowers: ;)

4-5 tankards of dark roast each morning. Then, I'm ready to face another day of retirement. :LOL:

I checked my blood pressure a few hours after drinking coffee. I found that 3 cups was too much in the AM but 12 ounces (1.5 cups) was OK. I assume that the coffee drinking should not raise my BP too much.

So now I brew 3 cups of "half-caf". BP is good.

Back
Top Bottom