Join Early Retirement Today

Cold/flu season kit
Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cold/flu season kit

Cold/Flu season has hit our household early this year, with the onset of a nasty little norovirus.
(Neither cold nor flu, but similar feeling with a much shorter duration).

So, I had cause to stock our cold/flu care kit with the following:

• Cans of Campbell's vegetarian vegetable, vegetable beef and chicken and stars soup.
  • Bottles of Recharge, a sports drink that's like Gatorade but without the nasty artificial additives/flavors.
  • Apple juice
  • Apple sauce
  • Crackers
  • Ricola
  • Tylenol
  • Honey
  • chicken broth
  • miso soup packets
  • Kleenex
  • Nyquil (for DH; I can't stand the stuff and the kids never get anything other than Tylenol or Motrin).
We restock after each bout of cold/flu because we don't want to have to run out and get stuff when we're sick. What does everyone else do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ice cream
Baileys
Theraflu (tastes better than Nyquil)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Orange juice, lots and lots of orange juice. Vitamin C, fiber, and fluid, all in one tasty drink!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I nix the OJ for us, because DS and I tend to get upset stomachs from it -- especially if we're already sick.

Good idea for DH, though. I'll stick a can of concentrate in the freezer.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have some sort of miserable cold/flu now... second day. It's not an intestinal bug, at least not yet.

For most of the day yesterday I didn't feel like eating anything at all, so the miso soup, chicken soup, Campbell's soup, apple juice, apple sauce, crackers, honey, etc would have been of no use whatsoever.

Today, I had a big bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast, with blueberries mixed in. I grilled a small sirloin for dinner. I have some cans of soup in the cabinet, but just haven't felt like soup. The crackers might have been nice today, if I had some. Plain saltines.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Theraflu (tastes better than Nyquil)
It's hard to believe anything could taste worse than NyQuil!

I'd add Vernor's ginger ale. It's the thing (let it go flat) if you ever get a bad case of stomach flu. I'm convinced it saved the life of my wife and I when we were both bad sick with some sort of tummy bug 20 years ago.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'd add Vernor's ginger ale. It's the thing (let it go flat) if you ever get a bad case of stomach flu. I'm convinced it saved the life of my wife and I when we were both bad sick with some sort of tummy bug 20 years ago.
Yep, that and/or 7UP, Sprite, or Slice.....easy on the tum-tum! We keep some sort of Gatorade or similar type stuff around too.

And when I get to the point of being sick of being sick.....I throw normal common sense out the window, and have a pizza with lots of crushed red pepper sprinkled on top! I figure it's either gonna kill me or cure me...and at that point I don't really care which!!! It may just be coincidence, but it usually puts me on the fast track to getting well...go figure!

I'm also extremely fortunate that I very rarely get sick! I get a flu shot every year, and I try to get oodles & loads of all of the proper vitamins & minerals that we're supposed to get.....and even more importantly (for me), I try to avoid close contact with people (especially kids) as much as possible during the cold & flu season...and either wash my hands often or use hand sanitizer often!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I always have cans of chicken soup , tissues ,advil and most importantly my SO who will baby me and run out for whatever I want .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #9

Oh, and my Dad & Grandad (in their post-moonshine days) both swore by either Calvert's, Jack Daniel's, or Jim Beam as their elixir of choice for "what ails ya".....for medicinal purposes only of course!

Grandad only had 3 things for medication in his house: 1) Whiskey 2) Cod Liver Oil 3) Aspirin......he never took the aspirin!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #10

I'd put some disinfectant on the list for wiping down door handles to keep it from spreading. And some handsoap (just regular; studies show no need for antibacterial) for washing before eating.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Grandad only had 3 things for medication in his house: 1) Whiskey 2) Cod Liver Oil 3) Aspirin......he never took the aspirin!
You pretty much need the whiskey to get rid of the taste of cod liver oil. That stuff is horrible.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post

• Cans of Campbell's vegetarian vegetable,
Back in the 1960s I decided that Campbell's vegetarian vegetable and Dinty Moore Beef Stew were the worst foods created by mankind and have not tried them since.

I like for queasy stomachs Ginger Tea made from slices of ginger in hot water, steeped for a while, with maybe a touch of honey or sugar. Actually, I drink this all the time in the winter. Ginger Ale with lots of ice is also good. NOT flat.

For a cold, drink the ginger tea and eat spicy food.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Back in the 1960s I decided that . . . Dinty Moore Beef Stew were the worst foods created by mankind and have not tried them since.
Okay, now we're gonna have a fight.

I know that Dinty Moore packs a subtle taste and some people with less sophisticated palates can't appreciate the nuance, but to pan this delightful treat in blanket fashion is really beyond the pale.

The savory gravy surrounding and embracing the oh-so-tender chunks of beef, the carrots distinguishable only by texture and not by taste from the potatoes, all these flavors working together to provide an epicurean experience unrivaled in the world. When you see that gentle giant's bold red thumb print on the top of the can, you know you are in for a treat.

Dinty and I had lunch together at least twice a week right at my desk during my hard-core working days. He, more than my thrift, will be responsible for the success of my ER financial plan as I'm counting on all that ingested fat and sodium to assure I expire before my money runs out.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Excuse me, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excuse me, I just threw up in my mouth a little.
You've got to stop eating that lutefisk...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You pretty much need the whiskey to get rid of the taste of cod liver oil. That stuff is horrible.
No kidding! After my 1st experience with cod liver oil at the hands of Grandad, I refused to EVER cough or even sneeze anywhere within his hearing distance!!! My cousin never learned that, the poor soul!
Quote:
For a cold, drink the ginger tea and eat spicy food.
I don't know about the ginger tea part, as I've never had it....but I know that spicy food sure works wonders for me!!! And I've never seen any of my Mexican friends with a cold. Ingesting all that capsaicin must burn the guts out of all those nasty cold germs!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Prevention:
Hand sanitizer
Zinc (at the first sign of a runny nose)

Rescue:
Hot mint tea
Halls for sore throat
Benylin with codeine if nighttime cough is particularly bad and I am not on call

BTW, if you have small kids, do NOT give them cold & cough medicine. Never studied properly, too many side effects. FDA and Health Canada say it's a no-no.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
BTW, if you have small kids, do NOT give them cold & cough medicine. Never studied properly, too many side effects.
Why not? The folks gave me gallons of nasty syrups when I was a little kid, and I turned out normal.

jk
Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Why not? The folks gave me gallons of nasty syrups when I was a little kid, and I turned out normal.

jk
Me too. But many deaths have been attributed to these concoctions, often when parents overdo it. Here's the CNN story:

FDA panel: No cold medicines to children under 6 - CNN.com
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
We restock after each bout of cold/flu because we don't want to have to run out and get stuff when we're sick. What does everyone else do?
Flu shots.

The cruise ships (norovirus aware) put hand-sanitizer stations about every 30 feet from stem to stern. I knew a housecleaner who claimed that her good health was due to spending all day with her hands in buckets of bleach.

Martha, my father is a Campbell's fanatic and he has the blood pressure to show for it. Even the "Healthy Choice" sodium numbers give pause.

I like Goonie's answer: spicy Thai and/or Mexican cuisine. I was actually asked to water down my taco meat this time or they won't let me cook dinner anymore. Hmmmm.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote