Join Early Retirement Today

Cologuard, from Start to Finish
Old 11-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cologuard, from Start to Finish

First-hand account, with a few things to watch out for. Nothing bad, just be informed so you are not surprised. I'll will mark those things with a "***". I will provide links to the Cologuard website at the end.

Please, my purpose of this thread is to inform. The choice of doing this screening test, or doing a colonoscopy, or doing nothing, is each person's individual choice. If you feel a need to convince others that your particular choice is the best, and everyone should do as you do, please start another thread. Thank you.

Medicare covers a Cologuard once every three years as a preventative measure.

I told my PCP I wanted to go this route. They prescribed it by communicating with Cologuard. About a week later I received via UPS the white cube box. Rest assured, it does NOT scream "poop test" on it!
The box opens a certain way, so it will be re-used for return shipment. Inside is a zip-lock bag that stays attached to the box. The kit includes instructions and return labels, a white plastic toilet bracket, a white plastic round collection canister, a bottle of preservative, and a small tube with a probe and integral preservative for another part of the test. Don't worry about "probe"

An issue ***. Check your toilet ring's underside to see if there will be a problem with the bracket location. The white plastic toilet bracket unfolds, and is to be placed with its wings left and right, over the porcelain toilet rim itself, then the toilet ring lowers down around it. The collection canister then is put into the bracket, want it towards the back of the toilet ring opening.

Checking this bracket out the night before, I found that the bumpers on the underside of the toilet ring hit the bracket, the toilet ring would NOT sit flat, it rested on the bracket no matter where I moved the bracket. As one's whole weight will be on the toilet ring, that will not work. This toilet ring had 4 bumpers, one each in the 10, 2, 4, and 8 O'clock positions. The minimum space between the 10 and 2 pair of bumpers, and the 4 and 8 pair of bumpers, was about 5 1/2" on this ring, not enough for the bracket to clear the bumpers. Uh-oh!

I checked other toilets, the bumper situation on their rings was different. They had bumpers at 10 and 2, but the bumpers closest to the back were integral with the hinges, like at 5:30 and 6:30, so there was a lot of front to back space available to position the bracket. Whew! Remember, I'm talking about the bumpers on the underside of the RING, not the bumpers on the underside of the LID!

*** One needs to plan their "collection event" a bit so that the sample can be sent UPS next-day air back to their lab by Madison WI. Think of weekends possibly in the way. I "collected" on a Thursday morning, took it to a UPS store by mid-morning. It is return pre-paid, pre-addressed, and UPS knows how to handle them. UPS gives a shipping sheet with a tracking number. My sample arrived at ColoGuard's lab at 10:30 AM the next morning. The test kit itself has a long shelf life, the sample inside, not so much!

I should mention the "probe" so no one worries... it is used to stroke over the sample to fill the grooves on the side of the probe, then it is put back in its tube and screwed tight. It just sits in the return box, outside of the collection canister, but inside the zip lock bag.

*** The last "watch it" issue - If you are alone, and have hands riddled with arthritis, or very small hands, you may have some difficulty screwing the lid down tight enough on the collection canister. Both lid and canister are large diameter, much bigger than a pickle jar, and you need one hand on each part to give a real good twist to fully compress the lip seal on the canister. The directions tell you what to look for to insure that it is properly sealed. And you are doing this on a flat surface, to keep it upright (don't make a mess ). If another person is present to help, so you could use both of your problem hands on either the lid, or holding the canister from turning, no problem.

Communication of Results - You can create a MyChart account on the Cologuard website after you get the kit, so you can get the results directly from Cologuard, besides your doctor's route. They sent me an email to let me know that result was up on MyChart on their website. I did not do any linking with that MyChart to anywhere else, so only me and Doc know the result. Mine was Negative, the result was up on chart 2 days short of two weeks from their getting my sample. My PCP eventually sent me a one word message days later. Cologuard also sent me a letter, telling me that my PCP has been informed of the results, but not what the result was.

Cologuard also does automated phone calls, to let you know that they are sending you the kit as requested, and then later as a reminder to use it. The auto-voice asks if you have already used it, and if you say Yes, it says they will be looking for it. It may have asked what day, I don't remember. There is an 1-800 number staffed 24/7 plastered all over, any questions to call them. It went well, I have no complaints.

Website home page: https://www.cologuard.com/

Website "how to use kit": https://www.cologuard.com/using-and-...-cologuard-kit

Website video link: https://www.cologuard.com/using-and-...-cologuard-kit
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #2

I did this in July, 2021. It was 10 years past my last colonoscopy and my doctor recommended Cologuard. I thought it was a good idea, too. She had a pamphlet and when I got home I looked at the website. The video answered all of my questions.

The kit was very well thought out. I had a similar issue with the collection bucket and bracket. I "practiced" the positioning before the actual collection and found it a little awkward. I was concerned about getting urine in there along with the sample. But I found that this didn't happen. But I felt like I was "on" the bucket instead of over it. It didn't matter, I was able to get a sample just fine.

I was careful to have a clear flat surface for dealing with the dipstick thing and the additive that goes in the bucket and then getting the lid on and packing it all back into the shipping box. Then I took it into a UPS store. They must see a lot of these! Easy peasy compared to a colonoscopy!

I timed mine for after the July 4th holiday and tracked the shipment. I think it got there the next day and I had my results (all negative) at my patient portal in a week or so.

If this is appropriate for you and your doctor it's a nice way to get the test done. Medicare covered this.

A while later, I got a letter from Mayo Clinic inviting Cologuard users to join a long term study. I returned the letter and later received a survey packet with health history questions, etc. With every survey they send you 20 postage stamps instead of payment. Additional surveys should be once a year or so. Easy enough and you get stamps!
Old 11-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

It's also covered by ACA as a preventive measure, at least BCBS covers it. Had mine done about 3 years ago, probably due for another one. Not a big deal to me but the return box does kind of scream 'poop test', it's very unique and anyone who has seen the commercial on TV will recognize the box and know what its for while you're standing in line to return ship it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

No issues with my collection ;-) and got negative result back.... 5 years do it again.
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

I’ve done the Coligard(actually it was another brand) thing annually for four years.
As long as it keeps coming up clean I don’t have to do a colonoscopy.
Imaginos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did it a couple years ago as well. Had had a clean as a whistle colonoscopy 10 years earlier and was not in a high risk group. That said, my PCP pushed me to have a colonoscopy but I preferred the Cologuard.

No issues with collection at all. I just needed to make sure the timing was right so it was sent/received not over a weekend. I live in a rural area so the UPS drop-off locations are fewer and have limited hours.

Mine was negative.

DW did it about a year later and didn't pay attention fot eh weekend so had to do it over again. DW had a positive so they scheduled her for a colonoscopy which came out fine so it ended up being a false positive.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Great timing. I just turned 60 and am seeing my doc at the end of the month, and I'll be due for my 10 year colonoscopy after a clean one 10 years ago. I'll ask if this is an option instead. As a single person it's kind of a pain to get someone to take you and return (40 min drive away), though a couple of neighbors have offered.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My doctor said he doesn't like cologuard because it doesn't test for polyps...
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc1701 View Post
My doctor said he doesn't like cologuard because it doesn't test for polyps...
both Cologuard and FIT can detect precancerous polyps. Maybe she/he meant that those tests don't remove polyps?
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

DH did Cologuard. Got a positive result. He then had a colonoscopy which was negative. I'm not a fan of Cologuard and neither of us will use one again.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
DH did Cologuard. Got a positive result. He then had a colonoscopy which was negative. I'm not a fan of Cologuard and neither of us will use one again.
Well, there are false positives with Cologuard but that's just part of the deal. The alternatives are get the colonoscopy or go with FIT. Although there are fewer false positives with FIT the sensitivity is also lower.

link https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1311194
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

My medical portal had an alert for colonoscopy, but because it was Covid times, I did cologuard. Came back negative, but the alert persisted. I asked my GP and he said Cologuard doesn't count if you have any history of disease. I'm sure it's a valid data point, irrespective of history, but I'm not sure Cologuard is approved for use in all cases.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
gone traveling

Good discussion. This thread also generated some good comments: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-109797-4.html
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A.'s Dr. recommended Cologuard in 2016. His was positive and resulted in a colonoscopy and excision of growths, which were not cancerous, but which the colon doctor said had a high probability of turning so. Cologuard did its job.

One big glitch: Mr. A's FEHB paid for the test itself, but we got charged full freight for lab/test interpretation fees, because the lab was not a preferred provider. Back then, this was $700.00. So, be sure to check with your insurance to be sure all is covered.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote