Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I felt a bit off for a couple of weeks. My chiropractor sells all sorts of vitamins and he said that it's not the procedure itself that causes problems but the prep the day before. He said it would eventually get back to balance but he gave me some pills to restore the colon's good bacteria faster than normal. You might ask your doctor to recommend something similar (or google around, maybe it's just a matter of eating yogurt, something I don't eat).
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The biggest after-effect for me was feeling tired, weak, and sleepy for a day or two. I attributed this to the Propofol. I just didn't feel like shopping or doing much.

Within an hour or two of awakening from the anesthesia, I was at a Creole Italian restaurant eating large quantities of some extremely spicy Cajun food (thanks to F. who drove me there straight from the outpatient clinic). All those Cajun spices were probably harder on my completely empty digestive tract than the procedure, but it sure made me feel happy and glad to be alive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No after-effects......was raring to go that same afternoon but had been warned not to drive. Yrs earlier, I had several cataract operations under anesthesia due to longer than normal eyeballs and much myopia. Felt miserable after first (nauseous, tired, sleepy) and am thankful that perceptive eye doc changed anesthesia (type/amount) for second which went fine. Talked w/ doc prior to colonoscopy about those results and he changed his plan due to that. Hopefully cause and effect.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
To a proctologist, we're all a bunch of assholes...
With money out the wazoo...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
With money out the wazoo...
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had one a week ago and had so much pain for the first couple of days that I thought the doctor must have perforated my colon! And things weren't moving very well. This was my fourth colonoscopy (get them every five years) and they've never hurt afterwards. This time I was told I have a tortuous/twisted colon, so I guess that made the procedure must more difficult. Not fun, but at least the pain went away.....
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #27

A Colonoscopy is best compared to time travel for your digestive system, it will make you crap things you have not eaten yet.

No lasting side effects here.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I had one a week ago and had so much pain for the first couple of days that I thought the doctor must have perforated my colon! And things weren't moving very well. This was my fourth colonoscopy (get them every five years) and they've never hurt afterwards. This time I was told I have a tortuous/twisted colon, so I guess that made the procedure must more difficult. Not fun, but at least the pain went away.....
Ouch. My first three colonoscopies went well with no negative after affects. A younger brother started the year with surgery for colon cancer (after surgery and follow-on chemo (the cancer had spread), he is feeling much better). I decided to put an end to a shitty year by scheduling #4 colonoscopy for 30 Dec. It might be a pain in the @ss, butt it beats waiting until cancer is discovered.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #29

Good luck, packrat. With my family history of colon cancer (both parents), I get it done every five years. Don't know if having a brother with it puts you on the five year plan. I was also told that genetic testing is available, but I don't see me doing that.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Good luck, packrat. With my family history of colon cancer (both parents), I get it done every five years. Don't know if having a brother with it puts you on the five year plan. I was also told that genetic testing is available, but I don't see me doing that.
My Father had surgery for colon cancer when he was 65. He had regular colonscopies thereafter. He is now 97. Two of his sisters had colon cancer. One continued with colonoscopies and is still alive. The other said colonoscopies were undignified and refused to have additional procedures. She had a reoccurence of colon cancer and passed away.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #31

Done mine and had a polyp removed. No side effects. Had a big meal after the colonoscopy - no problem whatsoever. Guess I'm just lucky.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote