Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Could anyone provide more detail on the statement -eat light for a few days before. Light on calories or on type of food?
I count 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I count 2 View Post
Could anyone provide more detail on the statement -eat light for a few days before. Light on calories or on type of food?
It’s best to do more research for details.

Nothing red or purple.

Very low fiber food. Think chicken noodle soup. White rice. Soft cooked veggies. Avoid raw fruits and veggies, seeds, peels, whole or chopped nuts.

Basically you want to eat stuff that digests easily and can pass through your system quickly before the 24 hour liquid fast and finally the purge.

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/html...ogy/colon-diet
Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

The less you have in the system, the easier it is to get what's left out.

Starting 24 hours before The Purge, my doc had me on a broth, honey, Sprite diet. I modified it to Mt. Dew to get some caffeine. Every doc is different on this last day. I found this all clear liquid diet worked well. However, I also found it to be the worst part. I like my solid food.

The advice of no red, purple, seeds, peels, stringy stuff is very good and critical. I did that 2 days before the liquid only day.

P.S. NO MILK on the liquid day, including in any coffee or tea. It turns into cottage cheese, which will not make your GI doc happy.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While your doc may not concur with me, it makes it a lot better to chase the prep drink with beer. The prep drink tastes strange (not terrible, but not good either). Just make it a light beer like a lager or pilsner.

I had both done at same time since I was having a stomach pain, turned out I had an ulcer the endoscopy confirmed. Had a colonoscopy scheduled, so Dr added the endoscopy. Knocked out and slept through both. The endoscopy was first and did have me awake during the initial room work before actual procedure, but once the meds administered I was out.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you. Doc mentioned no milk, but I had no idea why.
I count 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Make sure you talk with your doc about any OTC meds you take also.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #67

I ate light the week prior, low carbs etc, not a lot of fast food. I also ate a little less subconsciously knowing the less I ate the less I had to get rid of in the end.

Two days before the procedure I went to all clear liquid diet. I drank my last glass of Milk and downed an entire package of saltines the night before. Then It was chicken broth, water before I started the cleansing drinks.

That worked perfectly I didn't have anything left in me about an hour before I left to drive to appointment. Had no urge to go to bathroom and the procedure (colon) was over in less than 30minutes.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I had both once. You're asleep and don't care.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #69

Hey, gang. Happy to report that I did go ahead with this even though I was still pretty (OK, completely) freaked out by the whole concept.

Turned out to be absolutely no big deal. They told me I could get something (turned out to be Versed) in my IV to calm me down a bit, so I took it. THEN once I was pretty mellow, they wheeled me down to the room where they do the actual "procedures". Put the little plastic thing in my mouth (for the Endo), started the IV with the Propofol, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. Did not feel a thing, though DW told me I didn't like them pulling off the heart monitor leads as it took some hair with it..I apparently yelled pretty loudly but have absolutely no memory of that or anything else.

So, all that worry and anxiety for nothing.

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

^^ Great news!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

There is what you call 'conscious sedation' with a medication called Versed, and then there is Propofol. Versed kind of knocks you down, Propofol is like being dead to the world. They could take a chainsaw to you and you wouldn't know it. That said, there is a very small percentage of people who Propofol puts into a paralytic state, but they can feel everything. I'm 99.9% sure you don't fall in this category. Hope that helps...LOL. OK...you will be fine.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting a colonoscopy & EGD at the same time makes a lot of sense.f there's a problem in your system, this should find it.

I've done colonoscopies with sedation, & it's no big thing, but the EGD does require that you be a bit "out of it."

Ken
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Hey, gang. Happy to report that I did go ahead with this even though I was still pretty (OK, completely) freaked out by the whole concept.

Turned out to be absolutely no big deal. They told me I could get something (turned out to be Versed) in my IV to calm me down a bit, so I took it. THEN once I was pretty mellow, they wheeled me down to the room where they do the actual "procedures". Put the little plastic thing in my mouth (for the Endo), started the IV with the Propofol, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. Did not feel a thing, though DW told me I didn't like them pulling off the heart monitor leads as it took some hair with it..I apparently yelled pretty loudly but have absolutely no memory of that or anything else.

So, all that worry and anxiety for nothing.

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..
Most importantly, hope whatever issue prompted the tests is now resolved for you!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Yeah!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Congrats on the good news. Now it will be easier in the future. Keep it up per doc’s orders. The alternatives are not fun.
ReadySetGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My eldest sister was scared of a colonoscopy so she didn't. She did keep her appointment with the surgeon who removed 6" of her colon after she was diagnosed with cancer.
My dad neglected to get a colonoscopy and ended up with cancer in his 70s. They had to remove a part of his intestine that included the ileocecal valve. He then suffered from chronic, uncontrollable diarrhea for the rest of his life. No fun for him or mom, especially after he broke a hip and then had ongoing mobility issues.

Do the tube!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Simply put, colonoscopy saved my life.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Many doctors aren’t recommending colonoscopy after the age of 70 because of complications. There is a medication you drink before eating if you have lost most of your colon that prevents diarrhea. Too bad your dad didn’t know about it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Many doctors aren’t recommending colonoscopy after the age of 70 because of complications. There is a medication you drink before eating if you have lost most of your colon that prevents diarrhea. Too bad your dad didn’t know about it.
What medication is that? The docs had him try a number of things, and nothing seemed to work. DH and I wanted him to try bentonite clay, but for he wasn't interested.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry but I don’t know. My friend that used it died last year. It was a powder that she mixed in a small amount of water.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote