Join Early Retirement Today

Colonoscopy cost in this area
Old 12-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Colonoscopy cost in this area

My recent Colonoscopy charges/allowed figures are in and I find it interesting.

"Amount Billed" includes Biopsy (2), anesthesia, Lab Work, End Procedure, Med Office = $3765

"Amount Paid" by Medicare/Tricare =$948.27.

Fortunately, my only out of pocket expense was $17 co-pay for Osmoprep.

I wonder who pays the full "retail" price?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think a colonoscopy is 'preventative', which means free. An ACA requirement is that preventive visits are covered 100%.

If you did not have insurance, maybe you pay fill price?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

I think once a polyp is found it is than "diagnostic" and you may be charged.

" Your doctor wants to screen for signs of colorectal cancer based on your age or family history. If a polyp is found and removed during your preventive colonoscopy, the colonoscopy and polyp removal are preventive. If the polyp is sent for lab testing, the testing is considered diagnostic."

- See more at: Preventive vs. diagnostic care | Priority Health
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My recent Colonoscopy charges/allowed figures are in and I find it interesting.

"Amount Billed" includes Biopsy (2), anesthesia, Lab Work, End Procedure, Med Office = $3765

"Amount Paid" by Medicare/Tricare =$948.27.

Fortunately, my only out of pocket expense was $17 co-pay for Osmoprep.

I wonder who pays the full "retail" price?
Answer the uninsured, and those out of network. Medical pricing is a lot like hotel pricing lots of different rates for the same proceedure.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

For mine, about $10,000 billed, (surgical center was the biggest at $7300, Dr., Anesthesiologist, pathology were around $1000 each give or take a bit. Insurance paid about $2000. I paid 0.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I think once a polyp is found it is than "diagnostic" and you may be charged.

" Your doctor wants to screen for signs of colorectal cancer based on your age or family history. If a polyp is found and removed during your preventive colonoscopy, the colonoscopy and polyp removal are preventive. If the polyp is sent for lab testing, the testing is considered diagnostic."

- See more at: Preventive vs. diagnostic care | Priority Health
Here is an interesting article by the Kaiser Family Foundation:

Coverage of Colonoscopies Under the Affordable Care Act’s Prevention Benefit – Report – 8351 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

"Claims submitted to a health insurer for reimbursement must be accompanied by billing codes that identify the service provided. So far, no consistent coding methodology is used either by all private insurers or providers to identify the preventive care and screening services that must be provided without cost-sharing as a result of the ACA. As one billing expert noted, this isn’t surprising if one considers that the current coding methodologies were first developed when health insurance tended not to cover preventive care."/snip

The entire article is worth a read.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Answer the uninsured, and those out of network. Medical pricing is a lot like hotel pricing lots of different rates for the same procedure.
They can still negotiate a discount with the provider.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, this makes me nervous because I'm up for another one next year and have a $6K deductible on my HDHP. Having a history of polyps (nothing serious), I suspect it will be coded diagnostic rather than preventative.

I'm hoping that the negotiated rate with my health insurer will be something less than the sticker price but will be thoroughly researching it beforehand. I don't want to change docs; I like this one and a HS classmate died from an intestinal perforation during a colonoscopy. Don't want to get cheap.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, this makes me nervous because I'm up for another one next year and have a $6K deductible on my HDHP. Having a history of polyps (nothing serious), I suspect it will be coded diagnostic rather than preventative.

I'm hoping that the negotiated rate with my health insurer will be something less than the sticker price but will be thoroughly researching it beforehand. I don't want to change docs; I like this one and a HS classmate died from an intestinal perforation during a colonoscopy. Don't want to get cheap.

Check your insurance web site... Mine will give cost estimates for various docs... I was surprised on how big a difference there was in the same procedure... I am talking 5X for some when I stopped looking...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote