Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am thinking of buying a Concept2. I've been watching Craigslist and occasionally there is one for sale, high price (IMO) and doesn't last long.

I am close to Boston, but the discount doesn't make it worth it after I factor in the gas and PITA factor of the 1 hour trip to Boston and 1 hour return.

The Gym at work just got 4 brand new ones but I am unable to work out there without getting in trouble from management for "working out on company time" so figure I may just buy one for home use.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #182

They provide you a gym but you get in trouble for using it?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a great perk to have a free gym at work! Maybe you can just sign out at the end of the day and use it then.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #184

Management here is set in the 1950s style. We have a Flintstones steam whistle. They don't care what you are doing, as long as you are in your seat at the start and end of the day.

I prefer to be project based. If I get my stuff done on time and its good quality, then who cares what I do inbetween?

I can't do before work or after due to child care and commuting issues.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #185
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
We have a Flintstones steam whistle.
So you work in a rock quarry, LOL, loved your analogy.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #186

No, we really do have a steam whistle. It goes off at 1130, 1200 and 1530.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Hit 2,000,000 meters today
Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Hit 2,000,000 meters today

I logged 2,000,000 meters on my C2 today. I don't try very hard, but I have been able to stick to it pretty well. My I-Pod is a huge help. There are so many interesting podcasts. Then the following day I'll have some music, etc.

It took me 8 months to get the first million meters, but only 5 for the next. And I took almost the entire month of August off to go to the beach. Our winter weather has set in, and although it is not at all cold, the outdoors is not particularly inviting most days, so instead of a long walk, I tend to row.

Then my walking to do shopping, go places, etc is tacked onto the end.

I haven't yet been able to motivate myself to row in the am, but I hope I will get there eventually.

So far it is the only exercise I have done that is clearly associated with improving lipid markers, and that helps me continue also.

Ha
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

That's excellent Ha! It's great to find a workout that you can enjoy even after 2,000,000 meters.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #190
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So far it is the only exercise I have done that is clearly associated with improving lipid markers, and that helps me continue also.

Ha
Congrats Ha, your a work horse! I was complaining to my Dr recently about my low HDL and that I attribute it to my genetics. He indicated the only type of exercise that will improve HDL is aerobic and getting your heart rate up in its target zone. I don't do much in this area and need to incorporate more of that vs just weight lifting. Do you track your heart rate when using the C2?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Ha, your persistence and success with the Concept2 is inspiring! Congratulations on reaching the 2 million meter mark.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I logged 2,000,000 meters on my C2 today. I don't try very hard, but I have been able to stick to it pretty well. My I-Pod is a huge help. There are so many interesting podcasts. Then the following day I'll have some music, etc.

It took me 8 months to get the first million meters, but only 5 for the next. And I took almost the entire month of August off to go to the beach. Our winter weather has set in, and although it is not at all cold, the outdoors is not particularly inviting most days, so instead of a long walk, I tend to row.

Then my walking to do shopping, go places, etc is tacked onto the end.

I haven't yet been able to motivate myself to row in the am, but I hope I will get there eventually.

Ha
1242.74 miles! You're almost to Denver, Ha...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Congrats Ha, your a work horse! I was complaining to my Dr recently about my low HDL and that I attribute it to my genetics. He indicated the only type of exercise that will improve HDL is aerobic and getting your heart rate up in its target zone. I don't do much in this area and need to incorporate more of that vs just weight lifting. Do you track your heart rate when using the C2?
@ DFW,

I do not. I have 2 protocols. Many days I just row at a moderate no-strain pace for 10 k or so. Other days I intersperse this with a 25 stroke hard row, followed by a recovery of about 50 strokes easier. This is one rep, and I usually do 10.

It is all pretty casual though. I haven't noticed much HDL change, as my HDL has always been fairly high. I do think that your Doc is correct. The same training that will improve your maximum oxygen usage will improve your HDL, and that is classical aerobic HR training. I am not sure, but sprints may be just as good for this.

In contrast, it appears that blood sugar and LDL or LDL-P lowering, as well as triglyceride lowering, responds very well to moderate aerobic exercise of sufficient volume, even without improvements in athletic conditioning.

I look at the workouts that many here are doing, and they seem Herculean. It would be hard for me to maintain motivation for something that aerobically demanding.

@All- Thanks for the encouragement. Lately it seems that persistence is the only thing I am still any good at.

Ha
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
@All- Thanks for the encouragement. Lately it seems that persistence is the only thing I am still any good at.

Ha
"I'm not totally useless; I can always be used as a bad example..."

HFWR

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
"I'm not totally useless; I can always be used as a bad example..."

HFWR
See it in pictures Mistakes Demotivator® - The Original Demotivational Posters
Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

3,000 km on my rower as of today

I turned over 3 million meters on my C2 today. To be exact, 3,003,119 m. Rowing is the only aerobic exercise that I just enjoy doing, even when only rowing in my living room. For the most part, I just cruise along, watching a movie and listening with wireless phones.

I bought this Model D from Concept2 on September 15 2011. I was undecided on whether to buy this one, or the Dynamic, which has a different mechanism and supposedly mimics better the feel of rowing in a shell. I suppose to some extent this is true, as in a shell the rower is essentially pushing the boat underneath him while on the D he is pushing himself back along the slide. But I found tried out the Dynamic at a rowing club, and couldn't se much practical difference. Also the D is easier to move around, is pretty much foolproof and indestructible, and I think the movement back and forth may be part of why it seems not to become boring. I appreciate the easy moving, as I place it up tight behind my couch where it is not in the way, but I can pivot it around to see my TV screen, or pull it over to my deck on hot days.

I think I may also try a stand up paddle board, as long as it doesn’t make my hip sore. This would be more for pure recreation, down on Lake Washington, rather that flat out exercise per se.

Ha
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #197
gone traveling

Ha,

I think the C2 folks would be smart to use you as their poster boy. I still haven't bought one as I am waiting to see how it might fit after we downsize.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I turned over 3 million meters on my C2 today. To be exact, 3,003,119 m. Rowing is the only aerobic exercise that I just enjoy doing, even when only rowing in my living room. For the most part, I just cruise along, watching a movie and listening with wireless phones.
I bought mine around the same time you got yours IIRC, and really enjoyed it. Alas, at less than a year of serious use I injured my lower spine (unrelated to the machine, I believe) and was advised to stop rowing. Not sure that advice was based on evidence but the stakes being fairly high, I surrendered.

That said, I strongly recommend the machine to anyone in good back health. I sold it at a decent price on Craig's List.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Thanks DFW! I did call a few months ago to ask about a new log card, and K.C., the customer service person I talked to told me that I had greater than average use. They have mileage marker clubs; my next opportunity will be at 5,000,000m. I love their customer service. They are all very familiar with their products.

I am just very pleased that it seems basically not to require any willpower in my case, and willpower needs to be conserved for important issues.

@Rich- I am very sorry to hear of your back trouble. I knew you had developed some issue, but I hadn't seen any more than that. Sorry you had to give up the rower, but more glad that you are ok and doing well. Good that you got a good price.

Ha
Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't stand it and just ordered a Concept2, Model D rowing machine with PM3 monitor. What a great machine! I have used them at my gym and think they are fun and challenging.

I have been waffling about buying one of my own since this thread began. Starting next Wednesday, my gym is closing for 10 days to refinish the floor. That was enough to push me over to the dark side. I knew it wouldn't take much.

Looking forward to trying it out in my half-baked (now more fully baked) home gym room, which already has a stationary bike, 55" TV with DVD player and exercise videos, and Wii Fit.