Join Early Retirement Today

Congestive Heart Failure
Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congestive Heart Failure

16 months ago I had to sleep at my dining room table sitting up as my lungs were so full of fluid I could not lay down and breathe. My daughter made me go to the emergency room (male thing). I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and arrythmia (irregular heart beat).

Today my cardiologist told me my heart failure was completely gone and I have a normal heartbeat. My blood pressure is normal, and after an echocardiagram she said my heart is in great shape, no sign of any issues. I am very thankful to my doctor and to my wife and felt like sharing that.

I took drugs that helped and am off them all now. I also had a procedure called an oblation where they put a laser inside of my heart and cauterized the nerves that were causing the irregular heart beat. All done as an outpatient.

The rest I credit my wife. I dropped 30 pounds, quit drinking totally (cold turkey is the only way that would work for me), walk, and have a quart of green smoothie daily in place of a meal. It takes her about an hour to make and is so full of raw or dried "things" that I don't even dare ask anymore what I am drinking. It is thick like sludge but tastes good. Kale, chard, beet greens, dandelion greens, cilantro, cabbage, sesame seeds, hemp seeds (treated), bee pollen, wheat grass, fresh fruit, dried or frozen berries, the list goes on and on. Organic when possible, always raw. Our refrigerator is stuffed with leafy things.

If I eat a steak and potatoe, I don't worry about the salad or any veggies. I figure I am covered, and eat them if I feel like it.

She is obsessed now and makes enough for my adult daughters to have every day, and even the grand kids "drink" them.

I don't know what worked for me, I'm sure cold turkey on the drinking was a big part. Medications helped a lot. The weight loss and the excercise, of course, but I suspect my wife was as much a part as any of those. I'm not touting anything, just feel really good today and wanted to share this. I like this board and find it fun, sometimes a little too cynical. I'm passing on some of my luck to the rest of the board. Best wishes.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

every now and again those wives are pretty darn handy. Can you imagine yourself going to the trouble of researching and compounding such a smoothie?

Outstanding the both of you!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's good news. Those ablations are darn near miraculous. I had one done and went home the same day. Amazing, and with an excellent success rate-somewhere around 85%.

Unfortunately for me there is also a 15% failure rate. C'est la vie!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a cardiac ablation a year and a half ago and, yes, it is darn near miraculous. I was fortunate to have a cardiologist in Shreveport who specializes in electrophysiology. He zapped that little extra pathway to my AV node and thus I began a life again without arrhythmias.

I must say there is a remarkable difference between the "before" and "after" on this type of surgery. And it's all done outpatient.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That has been quite an adventure, and it's a very inspirational story. Thanks for telling us. Raw, huh.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
The rest I credit my wife. I dropped 30 pounds, quit drinking totally (cold turkey is the only way that would work for me), walk, and have a quart of green smoothie daily in place of a meal. It takes her about an hour to make and is so full of raw or dried "things" that I don't even dare ask anymore what I am drinking. It is thick like sludge but tastes good. Kale, chard, beet greens, dandelion greens, cilantro, cabbage, sesame seeds, hemp seeds (treated), bee pollen, wheat grass, fresh fruit, dried or frozen berries, the list goes on and on. Organic when possible, always raw. Our refrigerator is stuffed with leafy things.
LOL! Better than the alternative. Glad to hear you are healthy once again. Good to know that stuff like that isn't necessarily a death sentence.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations...and thank you for sharing. You are a fortunate man indeed.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations & keep the wife !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
gone traveling

Congratulations to all of you!

Always glad to hear a success story.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you for your thoughts, to all of you.

The lesson to me is to never give up, no matter how bad it is. My near demise started with depression from the loss of a daughter. I would have never believed that what happens in my head would show up in my organs. My wife received therapy, while I quietly developed a death wish.

I don't know what it is about the male psychology, but we like to deal with our problems on our own. Out of sight, out of mind. Maybe that is why women outlive us by 20 years. Best wishes to all.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote